RR: First time on dirt!

Old February 25th 07, 02:29 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Zilla

Default RR: First time on dirt!

My 9yr old daughter and I have been wanting to ride dirt, but
since it's been cold and/or raining here, we've not had the
chance to, 'til today - a sunny 60 degF day.

I took here to one of my favorite fireroads called Umstead
Park. The park has at least 30mi. of hilly and pebbly roads
adjacent to the RDU airport. We started around 3:00pm
packed with my Camelbak, and each with water bottles
filled with Gatorade. She had jeans and long sleeves on,
and I had long tights and long sleeves on too. It was fine
under the sun, but it got chilly in the shade, and 50 ft. trees
on both sides provided a lot of shade.

She did pretty good riding over (lots of) pebbles, at the
avg. rate of 6-7 mph. I had to wait for her on the uphills
at first, and we had to stop after every couple of big hills.
She got the hang of it after a while, and soon she was
pedaling along with me. The way in was a lot hillier than
the way out. All in all we did about 10 mi. She said her
hands were numb from all the bouncing.

She really did enjoy it though and want to ride dirt again.
I told her to practice shifting for next time. When she
gets the hang of the fire roads, on we go to single track.

Another dirt rider on the loose...

--
- Zilla
(Remove XSPAM)

Old February 25th 07, 10:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Feb 24, 5:29 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
[...]

Cool deal, man.

BTW, thanks for the Superfreak!

JD

Old February 25th 07, 06:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman

On 25 Feb 2007 01:19:19 -0800, "JD" wrote:

On Feb 24, 5:29 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
[...]

Good sign. Mountain biking's deleterious effects are starting
immediately!

She really did enjoy it though and want to ride dirt again.
I told her to practice shifting for next time. When she
gets the hang of the fire roads, on we go to single track.

Another dirt rider on the loose...

--
- Zilla
(Remove XSPAM)

Cool deal, man.

BTW, thanks for the Superfreak!

JD

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old February 25th 07, 06:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Zilla

"JD" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 24, 5:29 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
[...]

You're Welcome!

-Zilla

Old February 25th 07, 11:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
R p j

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message

I am a trolling fool, what can I do, when it sucks to be me.

Hear Hear

Old March 6th 07, 01:53 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Zilla

"Zilla" wrote in message
.. .
"JD" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 24, 5:29 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
[...]

Here's the video from my cheap camera...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ7zGplBD9M

Old March 7th 07, 12:23 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 5, 4:53 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
"Zilla" wrote in message

.. .

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 24, 5:29 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
[...]

She seems pretty stoked. Keep that fire burning, man!

JD

Old March 8th 07, 12:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Zilla

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 5, 4:53 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
"Zilla" wrote in message

.. .

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 24, 5:29 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
[...]

She bugs me to ride every warm/sunny day!

-Zilla

Old March 8th 07, 02:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 7, 3:45 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
"JD" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 5, 4:53 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
"Zilla" wrote in message

. ..

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 24, 5:29 pm, "Zilla" wrote:
[...]

That's a good thing. My kiddo was being a bit of a slacker for a
while, but is back into cycling more often.

JD

DFW dirt dawg time trial unimind Unicycling 0 May 31st 05 03:40 AM
RR: Actually got on some dirt MattB Mountain Biking 12 April 14th 05 06:37 PM
Dirt Uni TheoELind Unicycling 7 February 2nd 05 06:27 PM
dirt bike emily520 Rides 0 November 19th 04 08:54 AM
3.0 fireball on dirt? onefiftyfour Unicycling 11 September 5th 03 04:47 AM