Watch out

Old March 3rd 07, 02:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

Default Watch out

snip

I can't believe how light the thing is. I was a pretty good shot with a
.38, a marksman at 150 yards with a .22 rifle (my dad taught me when I
was 8), but the glock is like shooting a sniper rifle. Leave it to the
Germans to come up with a well engineered protector.

snip

Killer Tupperware

:-)

Old March 3rd 07, 03:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

GeeDubb wrote:

mmmm dog, it's what's for dinner

beware of the local orientals before mtn lion!

I'm with JD on this one.

Gary

You'd really sit there and let your dog get mauled on your own property?
The trail is one thing, my home is another.

I don't think it will ever happen, but it doesn't hurt to be ready.
Besides, I think I have more to worry about from a certain stalker than
the local wild animal population.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old March 3rd 07, 05:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
. ..
GeeDubb wrote:

mmmm dog, it's what's for dinner

beware of the local orientals before mtn lion!

I'm with JD on this one.

Gary

You'd really sit there and let your dog get mauled on your own property?
The trail is one thing, my home is another.

I don't think it will ever happen, but it doesn't hurt to be ready.
Besides, I think I have more to worry about from a certain stalker than
the local wild animal population.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

I would do everything in my power to save the dog short of killing or
injuring the cat. Every time I go to Colorado I have to mentally prepare
for such an incident, not only with the dogs but with the kids as well (and
myself on solo rides into the back woods). Better to take preventative
measures though I do let the dogs run free. The kids aren't allowed to walk
off into the woods w/o adult supervision. Big cats have been seen in the
area as well as bears. I'm still more afraid of the 2 legged, walking
upright animal.......them.....I'd be more inclined to shoot.

An air horn probably would have been a much safer choice, more effective
since you'd probably be shaking so much you wouldn't hit the cat anyway or
worse, hitting the dog you're trying to protect. Fear/panic adrenaline =
crazy stuff. A lot different than shooting at a target. Ask any police
officer that's unloaded his glock during a panic situation.....and didn't
hit the target 50 feet away (or in some cases.....many officers riddling the
target full of holes but still missing most of their shots).

Gary (come on down, the weather's beautiful. Probably riding MMP today)

Old March 3rd 07, 06:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

GeeDubb wrote:

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
. ..
GeeDubb wrote:

[...]

I thought of getting a gun or carbine for protection from bears and
mountain lions while observing with my telescope out in the boonies
around Salida. I decided pepper spray is a better, solution:
http://www.counterassault.com/
That and taking the dogs as a distraction while I hide in the car :-)

Shawn
Old March 3rd 07, 06:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
GeeDubb wrote:

mmmm dog, it's what's for dinner

beware of the local orientals before mtn lion!

I'm with JD on this one.

Gary

You'd really sit there and let your dog get mauled on your own property?
The trail is one thing, my home is another.

What's the difference between the trail and your home? The lion was
there before you. Live with it.

If you need to defend yourself or your family then use the gun.

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
Old March 3rd 07, 06:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Shawn wrote:
GeeDubb wrote:

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
. ..
GeeDubb wrote:

[...]

I got spooked the last time I took my telescope out solo up near Chilao.
I think it was just a small bear crashing through the trees next to me
but I was very jumpy for the last hour I was at my spot. I don't think
a mtn lion would have made any noise so I started thinking about the
noises I wasn't hearing. I moved the scope closer to the car, grabbed
my axe, and kept the door open.

Greg

Old March 3rd 07, 06:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
David W

"JD" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 2, 9:28 pm, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
David W wrote:
"Slack" wrote in message
news On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 19:44:41 -0800, Ride-A-Lot
wrote:

Slack wrote:
My gut told something was wrong after I placed my bid, fortunately
the thieves are getting so damn greedy and bold they're actually
placing reserve prices on their auctions -- dumb asses!
--Slack
I've given up on eBay for both selling and buying. Too many crooks
and
too expensive. I only use craigslist and local transactions. I also
pick a meeting place for the exchange at a bank or in front of the
police station.

I've never looked at craiglist before. Maybe I'll check it out.

I'm waiting for my carry permit to be approved and then I'll conduct
transactions anywhere along with my new friend... Mr. Glock

:-) A Glock is the only gun I've been able to shoot straight.
--
Slack

My personal favorite.

I can't believe how light the thing is. I was a pretty good shot with a
.38, a marksman at 150 yards with a .22 rifle (my dad taught me when I
was 8), but the glock is like shooting a sniper rifle. Leave it to the
Germans to come up with a well engineered protector.

Glocks are such pieces of crap. Disco plastic crap for disco
dumbasses.

show me some stats, or STFU! and no, just because your co-workers say so
don't cut it...hyperbole!

I actually bought it (my first weapon) to protect the dogs at night from
the mountain lions who make there way down from the park every now and
then (so I've been told).

If you shoot a lion, I hope they lock you up and throw away the key.
If you shoot a lion and get away with it, don't ever show your face
around me.

JD

thanks Vandersum....

Old March 3rd 07, 06:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

G.T. wrote:
Shawn wrote:
GeeDubb wrote:

snip

[...]

Sounds familiar "Sure is quiet around here".
Tom P from Salida, who has posted here in the past, once told me the
Mosquito range near Salida has one of the highest concentrations of
mountain lions in the lower 48. I rode and observed there a lot. :-0

Shawn
Old March 3rd 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

snip

If you need to defend yourself or your family then use the gun.

Greg

Exactly. Life, limb, or Family. Use it if in fear for your life only.
(your mileage may vary, depending upon if your state is "gun" friendly.
I'm not a legal expert, consult your local statues prior). :-)

Otherwise, a loud air horn will run them cats off. ;-)
Old March 3rd 07, 08:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Slack

I got spooked the last time I took my telescope out solo up near Chilao.
I think it was just a small bear crashing through the trees next to me
but I was very jumpy for the last hour I was at my spot. I don't think
a mtn lion would have made any noise so I started thinking about the
noises I wasn't hearing. I moved the scope closer to the car, grabbed
my axe, and kept the door open.

Greg

LOL ... I just had a vision of you grabbing your axe, jumping in the car
with the widows rolled up and door lock. And Mrs. Bear tearing the top of
the car off with one claw, then reaching in for chewy snack center.
--
Slack - mmm, tastes just like KFC