Chain Ring Diameters

Old March 6th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Fitch

Default Chain Ring Diameters

Does anyone know, offhand, what the outside diameters are of 53, 52, 51, 50
tooth chain rings? I'm fine tuning a derailleur fit. I'd like to get the
tail of the derailleur dropped a couple of mm to keep the chain from
dragging one rear cog smaller than it does now (currently 53 on the front).

-Jim

Old March 6th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan Connelly

James Fitch wrote:
Does anyone know, offhand, what the outside diameters are of 53, 52, 51, 50
tooth chain rings? I'm fine tuning a derailleur fit. I'd like to get the
tail of the derailleur dropped a couple of mm to keep the chain from
dragging one rear cog smaller than it does now (currently 53 on the front).

-Jim

Each tooth is a half-inch. Diameter = circumference / pi.

Dan
Old March 6th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

On Mar 6, 12:49 pm, Dan Connelly
wrote:
James Fitch wrote:
Does anyone know, offhand, what the outside diameters are of 53, 52, 51, 50
tooth chain rings? I'm fine tuning a derailleur fit. I'd like to get the
tail of the derailleur dropped a couple of mm to keep the chain from
dragging one rear cog smaller than it does now (currently 53 on the front).

-Jim

Each tooth is a half-inch. Diameter = circumference / pi.

Dan

Plus a skosh for the points of the teeth. The formula you posted
describes the diameter through the pins of the chain- the chainrings'
actual diameter is a little larger than that.

In my experience, fine-tuning front derailleur fit is best done once
the bike is completely assembled. If you need a front derailleur with
a longer cage, maybe you should indicate what kind of frame and front
derailleur you have currently.

Jeff

Old March 7th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Fitch

"JeffWills" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 6, 12:49 pm, Dan Connelly
wrote:
James Fitch wrote:
[...]

Its on a long-assembled bike with a Campy triple front derailleur. I
recently put on a smaller inner chain ring, which caused the dragging when
on the 5th cog. I'd like the lower gears more than the higher ones, so the
simplest solution seemed to be to simply put on a smaller large chain ring
and lower the derailleur. A longer derailleur cage would work, too. Dan's
formula (and I'm a little irked I didn't think of it myself) is probably
accurate enough to tell me what I need to know.

-Jim

Chain skipping on large chain ring. Xyzzy Techniques 72 August 20th 05 03:13 PM
Chain Rub in Big Ring – Please help Stefano Maranzana Techniques 4 May 13th 05 02:21 AM
triple chain ring alpine saves hi gear chain grind? [email protected] Techniques 0 February 16th 05 05:14 PM
44t chain ring rickster Australia 6 November 11th 04 11:33 PM
Sora chain ring "dropping off" going from large to small ring? Yuri Budilov Techniques 18 September 7th 04 03:14 PM