newbie: aluminum vs. steel

Old September 21st 04, 09:52 PM
barndog

Default newbie: aluminum vs. steel

Just wondering if you could answer a question about a purchase I was
thinking about making. I am interested in two bikes, a Trek 820
(steel frame) and a Trek 3700 (aluminum frame) Which of the two would
you recomend? From what I've read they are essentialy the same bike,
the only difference being the frames. I understand the steel frames
are very ruged and give a smooth ride although obviously the
alumininum is lighter. For the way I'm planning to ride (mostly
smooth trails, 30 miles or less) which do you prefer for the price?
Considering that I am trying to stay within my budget, do you see one
as being better than the other? I like the ride and durability of the
cheeper steel model, but do you see the extra $60 worth it for the
aluminum? Also, in your opinion is the lighter aluminum better for
going longer distances? That is to say, can you pedal it easier with
less fatigue at higher speed over longer distances? Any information
you can provide is most appreciated.

Thx.

Ride quality: Aluminum vs steel Chris Hansen General 16 April 5th 04 11:55 PM
Easy Racer sid Recumbent Biking 11 March 6th 04 11:14 AM
mavic rims suck? Steve Knight Techniques 362 February 27th 04 08:21 AM
Aluminum and steel weight restrictions? kb Techniques 5 December 29th 03 03:49 PM
ICYCLES Inventory List ICYCLES Marketplace 0 July 26th 03 08:25 PM