Which car will mountain bike fit in?

Old July 20th 05, 12:16 PM

Default Which car will mountain bike fit in?

I need a rental car for my bike but I'm not sure how small a car I can
get. I don't own a car and going to the rental place to try out cars,
which is to far away, isn't an option. I have a Trek 800 Sport
mountain bike. More or less a standard sized bike. Taking the front
wheel off is easy enough. I haven't messed with the back wheel and not
sure how easy that is.

The biggest car I can get, with out spending to much (I'm in near NYC),
is a Ford Taurus. Cheaper cars are similar to the Elantra and
Cavalier.

I'd like any suggestion on how I can make my bike fit into the above
cars and what is feasible. Meaning, not spending 1/2 hour taking the
bike apart and putting it into the car.

Thanks,
Brett

Old July 20th 05, 09:20 PM

You're right. I need to get better with taking the back tire off. If
it will fit into a Malibu, I imagine it will fit into a Taurus. I need
to look at the bike with both wheels off. It probably will get very
small.

BTW, there aren't any hatchbacks at the rental place. However, I can
look up the trunk dimensions at edmunds.com and measure them against my
bike with wheels off.

Brett