Bianchi Eros Cassette & Crankset

Old November 15th 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dave C

Default Bianchi Eros Cassette & Crankset

I'm looking to replace the cassette, crankset and chain on my 2003
Bianchi Eros. Fortunately, I've met a long-time triathalete who rides
a Bianchi and does all his own maintenance, so we'll be able to do
this ourselves. Despite a Google search, I just can't find a parts
source online. I looked at bikepedia.com, and it doesn't seem to sell
such parts.

Do I really need to buy Campagnolo brand components, or can someone
suggest an alternative that'll work just as well? I'm perfectly happy
using Chevrolet parts in my Cadillac.

Got the bike from Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI, but I'm in California
and would rather deal with a straight online source.

Thanks for the help.

Dave C

Old November 15th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
tykebyke

On Nov 15, 6:05*am, Dave C wrote:
I'm looking to replace the cassette, crankset and chain on my 2003
Bianchi Eros. *Fortunately, I've met a long-time triathalete who rides
a Bianchi and does all his own maintenance, so we'll be able to do
this ourselves. *Despite a Google search, I just can't find a parts
source online. *I looked at bikepedia.com, and it doesn't seem to sell
such parts.

Do I really need to buy Campagnolo brand components, or can someone
suggest an alternative that'll work just as well? *I'm perfectly happy
using Chevrolet parts in my Cadillac.

Got the bike from Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI, but I'm in California
and would rather deal with a straight online source.

Thanks for the help.

Dave C

I am no expert on Campy equipment, but in general mixing cranks,
chains and cassettes from different manufacturers is not a problem.
Assuming that they are designed for the same purpose. For instance my
road bike has an FSA crank, Sram chain and Shimano casstte, and it is
very common for new bikes to be specced with a mix of brands.
Ten speed chains may be a bit more finicky in this respect than 9
speed, (I assume we are talking 10 speed here) and 11 speed even more
so. The main issue with Campy is going to be the cassette. Campy
cassettes have a different spline pattern to Shimano and Sram (which
use the same pattern).The sprocket spacing is also slightly different.
So if your free hub body is designed for Campy your choice of
cassettes will be more limited and you may not find anything much
cheaper than Campy anyway.
The guys at CRC (link below) might have what you are looking for. It
may seem crazy but with the exchange rate as it is at the moment
shipping components in from the UK of all places can be a good buy. I
have bought lots of stuff from CRC, they are reliable.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/B...px?BrandID=491

You may also find the following link from Sheldon Brown to be useful
in terms of general information.
http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html
Old November 16th 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 11/15/2010 8:05 AM, Dave C 1999 wrote:
I'm looking to replace the cassette, crankset and chain on my 2003
Bianchi Eros. Fortunately, I've met a long-time triathalete who rides
a Bianchi and does all his own maintenance, so we'll be able to do
this ourselves. Despite a Google search, I just can't find a parts
source online. I looked at bikepedia.com, and it doesn't seem to sell
such parts.

Do I really need to buy Campagnolo brand components, or can someone
suggest an alternative that'll work just as well? I'm perfectly happy
using Chevrolet parts in my Cadillac.

Got the bike from Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI, but I'm in California
and would rather deal with a straight online source.

Personally, I would call or send Andy Muzi an email.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old November 17th 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dave C

On Nov 15, 4:46*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
On 11/15/2010 8:05 AM, Dave C 1999 wrote: I'm looking to replace the cassette, crankset and chain on my 2003
Bianchi Eros. *Fortunately, I've met a long-time triathalete who rides
a Bianchi and does all his own maintenance, so we'll be able to do
this ourselves. *Despite a Google search, I just can't find a parts
source online. *I looked at bikepedia.com, and it doesn't seem to sell
such parts.

Do I really need to buy Campagnolo brand components, or can someone
suggest an alternative that'll work just as well? *I'm perfectly happy
using Chevrolet parts in my Cadillac.

Got the bike from Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI, but I'm in California
and would rather deal with a straight online source.

Personally, I would call or send Andy Muzi an email.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

I just may call Andy, and thanks for those replies.

I found JensenUSA online and it lists multiple Campy cassettes
including the 9er I have now.