Durability Of Velocity Aerohead Rims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

Old November 16th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Friction Shifting

On Nov 16, 5:13*am, Peter Cole wrote:
On 11/15/2010 9:34 PM, Tom Sherman _ wrote:

Easier to switch to friction mode than mess with adjusting the indexing
in the middle of a ride.

Never had to do that.

I frequently have to do it with one of my folding bikes. Something
about the folding & unfolding process gums up the index shifting for a
while. (The cables flex mightily during that process.) There have
been times I've just left it in friction mode for weeks.

I've had my mountain bike in friction mode a few times as well. But
admittedly, that's old SunTour stuff, not as forgiving as Shimano's.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 16th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default Obnoxious types

"James" wrote in message
On Nov 17, 8:03 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

Long-windedness is not appreciated on Usenet. Only I am entitled to
occasionally be longwinded, but that is because I am universally
recognized
as a genius.

And not at all big headed.

Yes, the caravan moves on and the dogs bark in the night.

Anyone who takes Usenet seriously is insane - or else infected with a
naiveté which boggles the mind.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 16th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default Backsides

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
DirtRoadie wrote:
On Nov 16, 1:56 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

If you want to behave like an ass, then use your real name like Mr.
Sherman and I do.

I could not have said it better myself.
DR

Just when I thought it was safe to sip my tea while reading this NG.

I am delighted to see that there are still some on these newrgroups who have
the wit to pick up on my humor. The most fun you can have in life is poking
fun at yourself. Jeez, I thought everyone knew that!

Old November 16th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 11/16/2010 4:25 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Nov 16, 5:13 am, Peter wrote:
On 11/15/2010 9:34 PM, Tom Sherman _ wrote:

Easier to switch to friction mode than mess with adjusting the indexing
in the middle of a ride.

Never had to do that.

I frequently have to do it with one of my folding bikes. Something
about the folding& unfolding process gums up the index shifting for a
while. (The cables flex mightily during that process.) There have
been times I've just left it in friction mode for weeks.

I've had my mountain bike in friction mode a few times as well. But
admittedly, that's old SunTour stuff, not as forgiving as Shimano's.

- Frank Krygowski

I use bar ends on all my road bikes, never had a mis-shift. That's one
of the things I love about them. They've never been cleaned or lubed,
either, just the (very) occasional cable change, and even that is never
a surprise because you can feel a broken strand or two long before the
cable gives out. Bar ends are light, rugged, and extremely fast to
shift, plus you can sweep through multiple gears with a single motion.
And they're cheap, even with a DA label.
Old November 16th 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On Nov 16, 5:13 am, Peter wrote:
[...]

The only minor complaint I have about bar ends is that I don't quite
have the knack of changing both ends to a bigger or smaller ring at the
same time, which is often what you want to do.

As for adjusting the indexing, where necessary, the middle of a ride is
the best time to do it. Good bikes have a tension barrel bolt thing
around where the downtube shifter would have gone as well as one near
the mech, so you can adjust it while riding.
Old November 17th 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default RANS Stratus

On 11/16/2010 10:12 AM, Opus the Poet wrote:
Not true, I converted a 1983 Stratus to 27 speed but kept the friction
shifters because even after 20 years they were still in excellent
condition and worked fine.[...]

Does/did the Stratus have the shifters on the tube in front of the seat?

E.g. http://www.ransbikes.com/about%20rans/aboutstratus.jpg

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old November 17th 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Dan O

On Nov 15, 4:53 pm, Peter Cole wrote:
On 11/15/2010 7:22 PM, Tom Sherman _ wrote:

On 11/15/2010 6:11 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
Peter wrote:
Having rescued a number of 80's road bikes, I'd have to say that many
people are better off with a new bike. Old bikes have their charms for
retro-grouches, but most casual riders prefer more contemporary stuff
(like indexed shifting). By the time you replace the "consumables"
on an
old bike, at least at bike shop prices, you're spending lots before
even
considering upgrading components.

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Well, it depends. Index shifting dates from the mid-1980s, so there
are certainly 1980s bikes that have it, for those who want it. And
there were plenty of 1980s friction shifting bikes that shifted well
enough to satisfy lots of modern riders.

Peter Cole wrote:
I don't know lots of riders, modern or otherwise who like friction
shifting. Even when the first indexed shifters started showing up in
the mid-80's, they were DT or stem.

The worst part of old shifters is that you have to use old (design)
freewheels.

Really? why is that?

Friction and classic equipment works well, in fact better, with modern
tooth design freewheels and cassettes. Up to eightish though; friction
9-10-11 is dicey. Seven systems are fantastically better with modern
freewheels/cassettes than with classic tooth forms.

I have no problems shifting with bar-ends in friction mode, an 11-32
9-speed cassette, and a Shimano Tiagra derailer.

Indexing broken?

When I broke the hub on my 9-speed I still had to ride something to
work. Had an 8-speed wheel ready to go, so I turned the ring on my
bar-end around to friction and it worked swell that way for a week or
so. As plan B's go, it's an exceedingly versatile option. (It was
nice to turn it back around to index, though.)
Old November 17th 10, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default The Plight of the USian Working Classes

On 11/15/2010 11:35 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
You are right, but even so no one can spend like the Dems. The past two
years the spending has been in the stratosphere. No other spending spree
comes close. The spending has got to stop!

I was not aware the expensive and purely optional conquest of Iraq was a
Democratic Party run operation at the start.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
"Since 1945, by deed and by example, the US has overthrown 50
Old November 17th 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default DirtRoadie - Lack of Character?

On 11/16/2010 2:56 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message
On Nov 15, 10:59 pm, "Edward wrote:

Mr. Sherman and I just plain don't like members who resort to attack using
pseudonym. I have no objection at all if you attack using your real name.
In
fact, I thrive on that.

Even if "Tom Sherman" and "Ed Dolan" were not fictitious names, I do

not share you [your] religion and have no intention of converting.

Now why do you suppose we do not like anonymous attackers? Could it be
because we have had a world of experience with such types over the years on
Usenet? There is no religion involved, just normal every day common sense.

If you want to behave like an ass, then use your real name like Mr. Sherman
and I do. Anonymity is bad for human beings. It brings out assholeness to
the exclusion of everything else.

Ed Dolan is actually right about something, once again.

Old November 17th 10, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 11/15/2010 11:49 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman wrote in message
On 11/15/2010 12:19 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Mr. Vandeman has never harassed anyone in his life. Rather, he has been
the
one harassed by criminal idiot asshole mountain bikers.

Nonsense. Mr. Vandeman has a history of contacting his opponents
employers with complaints.

I believe this is the first rank falsehood Mr. Sherman has ever been guilty
of. Mr. Vandeman is a gentleman and a scholar and does not resort to thug
tactics. If he has ever contacted an opponent's employer, it has been in
retaliation from first having been attacked or threatened with bodily harm.
Mountain bikers are well known for being criminal thugs.
[...]

Ed, your ignorance is showing again.