Wheel choice (was 7 to 8 Speed)

Old August 5th 04, 07:46 PM
ChronoFish

Default Wheel choice (was 7 to 8 Speed)

I would like to thank everyone for their input on my 7 to 8 speed
conversion. Because I am using 8 speed bar-end shifters in friction
mode, I am delighted that I will be able to easily upgrade to 9 speed
with minimal cost. Also because of the discussion here I re-measured
my drop-outs and discovered that they are 130mm.

Now I can focus selecting the wheel. Originaly I had my mind made up
to go with aerospokes. However after reading reviews and talking with
LBS that it appears that the Aerospokes do surve their purpose - but
that purpose my not be mine.

Since I'm not a Clydesdale (When I weigh light I'm at 163lbs and when
I am heavy I am at 175lbs - I'm currently at 165lbs) I may be better
off with a lighter wheel.

Anyway here is what I'm looking for in order of priorities:

$500 wheelset (or less)

Aero - I am currently averaging about 23mph on a 6.6 mile rolling
lightly hilly time-trial course. About 19.5mph for 50 miles on a
hilly course.

Fast - I want to notice a difference from what I am currently riding.
Not just mentally faster - but measurably faster than my current pair
of stock Mavic 195s with RSX hubs (read "cheap" if you don't know
them). Now when I say fast I mean Time Trial fast - not Criterium
fast. Since my racing will be limited to TT and Triathlon's I don't
think quick acceleration is nearly as important.

Robust - I don't think I'm particularly hard on my wheels. I've
popped one spoke in 8 years (just a couple of months ago) on the set I
currently have. But I don't want to have to services these wheels on
a regular basis. I don't own a trueing stand and I don't want to
learn how to use one.

Light - I'm getting better on the hills, and with the new 9 speed I'll
be going to I will have some more gears to work with - but if it will
help me in the hills I would obviously prefer a lighter wheel to a
heavier wheel all other properties being equal.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks!
CF
Old August 12th 04, 12:58 AM
Mike & Kelly

I had similar requirements and I went with Velomax Tempest 30 mm deep low
spoke count light in comparison to other wheels in their category (I think
it was 1550 grams per pair). They track well and I have not had any
problems with flexing (I'm 190lb.) spoke breakage or coming out of true. I
liked them better than my hed 3's, spinergiey rev X Mavic gel 330's or my
Velocity DeepV's. The negative, don't ride them in the rain. The bearings
don't do well if they get a lot of moisture in them. You can usually pick a
pair up of new ones for about $400 off ebay. You will notice a significant
speed change with these wheels from the deeper rim, better hub, and lower
spoke count on your previous wheelset.
Good Lck
Mike

om...