Opinions on Dahon Bikes?

Old August 11th 04, 09:41 PM
Jacques Moser

Default Opinions on Dahon Bikes?

Le Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:04:45 +0000, mark a écrit :

(...) and I never found
boxing up my bike to travel on TGV trains to be all that dreadful a chore.

Some of these foldable bikes come with beautiful cases to be carried in
trains or airplanes.
But when you get to your destination airport/station, what do you do with
the case ? I guess you can't put it on your rack and carry it with you
during your whole trip ?

Anybody has personal experience to share ?

Thanks
Jacques
Old August 11th 04, 09:52 PM
Tony Raven

Jacques Moser wrote:
Le Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:04:45 +0000, mark a écrit :

(...) and I never found
boxing up my bike to travel on TGV trains to be all that dreadful a chore.

Some of these foldable bikes come with beautiful cases to be carried in
trains or airplanes.
But when you get to your destination airport/station, what do you do with
the case ? I guess you can't put it on your rack and carry it with you
during your whole trip ?

Anybody has personal experience to share ?

I usually get a hotel at the destination and leave the case with them
until I get back. Otherwise there is always left luggage.

Tony
Old August 11th 04, 10:14 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:41:19 +0200, "Jacques Moser"
wrote:

Anybody has personal experience to share ?

Bike Friday has an optional frame that turns its hard case into a bike
trailer. If you pack your other items in soft bag, you take the frame
and bike out of the trailer, pack the soft bag and gear into the
trailer and off you go.

About $ 400 in the U.S. and worth it IMO for anyone traveling by plane
or hitching a ride one way.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old August 11th 04, 10:39 PM
Alan Braggins

In article , Jacques Moser wrote:

Some of these foldable bikes come with beautiful cases to be carried in
trains or airplanes.
But when you get to your destination airport/station, what do you do with
the case ? I guess you can't put it on your rack and carry it with you
during your whole trip ?

Anybody has personal experience to share ?

Not personal experience, but Bike Friday have a system where the
case turns into a trailer. http://www.bikefriday.com/travel.cfm
Old August 12th 04, 04:42 AM
Mike Kruger

"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message
news

Do people really cycle with 50lb packs?

Doesn't seem horribly unusual for a loaded tourist (the packs will be
panniers).

Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer General 29 March 12th 04 05:48 AM
A long weekend in the Land of Bikes (long, includes some recumbentcontent) Peter Clinch UK 2 February 17th 04 11:35 AM
Bikes on Trains - was Cycle Tracks ad nauseum [Not Responding] UK 40 December 2nd 03 10:05 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Cheap Bikes vs expensive bikes - what are the real differences? The Real Slim Shady UK 8 August 13th 03 08:30 PM