How Many LiveStrong Bracelets were Sold?

Old February 16th 05, 02:28 AM
Craig Brossman

Tim McTeague wrote:

Typical, as soon as you criticize the mighty Oprah you are a male oppressor.
Lots of woman made it big and earned my respect, not that they need it.
Oprah is pure fluff, the books hawked in her club lack substance and she
panders to the touchy-feely side of woman that guys like me just don't
understand. I feel the same way about Madonna for similar reasons. She too
lacks any real talent except how to market herself. Sure they are rich and
may be great business people but I don't respect the cigarette companies
either. Great business plan, lousy product. What exactly is "Great" about
her? Somehow I don't agree with the common person's concept that being on
TV is the ultimate accomplishment. I think Martha is a small step above
Oprah but Hilary is in a different league. I actually respect her even if I
don't always agree with her. I am never put off by strong woman and even
find it attractive. However, the folks that just adore Oprah leave me cold.
Emotion over intellect, style (of a sort) over substance. Can I please find
her odious without being labeled a pig?

Tim McTeague

Well said Mr. McTeague, though I'm afraid not polically correct.
I don't care for Dr. Phil either, does that even it all out?
Turns out, I don't care for any marketing machines!

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply
Old February 16th 05, 05:09 AM
Rich

psycholist wrote:

Oprah is the high-priestess of heresy. She preaches her own religion and
has millions of followers.

I think everyone tends to preach their on religion. Just not many of us
can round up that many followers. Hell, I can't get one.

I've never seen an Oprah show, but she's evidently doing something right
to have gotten herself where she is.

Rich

Old February 16th 05, 10:01 AM
wafflycat

"Tim McTeague" wrote in message

Emotion over intellect, style (of a sort) over substance. Can I please
find her odious without being labeled a pig?

Tim McTeague

Well I'm no fan either ;-) Comes across as style over sububstance to me too.

Cheers, helen s

Old February 16th 05, 11:41 AM
Dave

"Maggie" wrote in message
ups.com...

El Williams wrote:
Good interview on Oprah... I have looked around the web, but to no

avail.
Does anyone know how many LiveStrong bracelets were sold on Friday.

It
seems that it might be pretty good as LAF website on Friday was

having
challenges keeping up.

Right now you cannot buy any. You have to sign up on the web to
receive information as to when they will go on sale again. They might
be back on sale again.

http://www.laf-store.org/

All Good Things.
Maggie

From http://www.thepaceline.com/members/l...m.aspx?cid=811

a.. The previous one-day record of 382,000 wristband sales was smashed.

a.. The wristband sales for from Friday's Oprah air date were over 900,000,
plus an additional 300,00 more on Saturday!

Old February 16th 05, 12:25 PM
Maggie

wafflycat wrote:
"Tim McTeague" wrote in message

Emotion over intellect, style (of a sort) over substance. Can I

please
find her odious without being labeled a pig?

Tim McTeague

Well I'm no fan either ;-) Comes across as style over sububstance to

me too.

Cheers, helen s

Who said she says no Sububstance.....she has lots of SUBUBSTANCE. ;-)
All Good Things
Maggie

Old February 16th 05, 12:41 PM
Maggie

Tim McTeague wrote:
"Maggie" wrote in message

Ok, I can't let this go even if it is off topic. Have me arrested.

I'm
off topic. Hang me upside down in the town square and stone me. I

have
to defend a good person. Maybe she rides a bike. Who knows.

Mr. Tim,
I can't believe some of the ridiculous statements made in your

post.
You sound as if you are trying to be viewed as an itellectual and

in
doing so, you show your ignorance. You say, she "hawks" books.

"She
encourages reading."

Oprah Winfrey was named one of the 100 Most Influential People of

the
20th Century by Time Magazine, and in 1998 received a Lifetime
Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and
Sciences.

Her influence in encouraging people to read began when she started

her
on-air book club. She was presented with the National Book
Foundation's 50th anniversary gold medal for her service to books

and
authors.

My son hated reading as a child. He had a very smart teacher who

found
books for him on topics that interested him. He did not push

required
reading down his throat. His goal was to help him enjoy reading. He
accomplished that with this method. This is what Oprah is doing.

She
is encouraging people to read. Is that such a bad thing? Just

because
its not War and Peace, doesn't mean its not worth reading.

The reason Oprah was voted one of the nicest people of the 20th

century
was because she has the ability to relate to all people. She lived
through alot and brought herself to the top. How can anyone find

this
woman odious. That is a mighty strong word. She has been an
inspiration to so many of us. In my opinion the only thing odious

was
your post. OK, I vented. I'm finished. I'll go ride my bike. Its

going
to be 50 degrees today in Jersey. Maybe when I return I will read a
fluff book without any substance. AND I WILL DAMN WELL ENJOY DOING

IT.
As I put my emotions over my intellect and my olive in my martini.
All Good Things,
Maggie

None of this sways me. You like her, great, just don't make her into

a hero
because she is a TV star. Time magazine thinks she is great. Wow,

maybe
that would have meant something 20 odd years ago when it was a real

news
magazine. She gets people to read, that is fine too as far as it

goes but,
does she devote her time in the inner city helping the

underprivileged or
merely draw attention to the latest feel good tripe? She helps the

sales of
the books on her list but I suspect that lots of people buy the books

but
never make it all the way through one. Again, I have no real problem

with
her doing any of this. It is the behavior of her "followers" trying

to make
her into some kind of hero that gets me. She is what she always has

been, a
local TV host who has gone as far as the medium will allow. I almost

never
watch news programs on TV, I listen to NPR along with the rest of the

false
intellectuals and read a newspaper or two, and never touch the local
stations news as the constant grinning and pretending to be my best

friends
is too much to take. Inane banter seems to be the order of the day.

This
was the first episode of Oprah I ever watched all the way through and

most
likely the last. As with Martha Stewart, you don't have to watch

their
programs to be aware of what they do. Oprah is the queen of self
improvement but only the surface kind. Neither of us are going to

have our
opinions changed so we should try and stick to bikes. Now why didn't

she
give, or have Trek give, bikes to everybody in the audience? I would

have
given her a point or two for that. Who knows, maybe one or two

people would
have actually ridden them. Then the world would indeed be a little

better.

Tim

Have you ever heard of Oprah's Angel Network...and read the last line.
100 percent of the monies go to the charities...because she covers all
administrative cost herself... I don't think you realize how much this
woman has accomplished in her life. Why not read her bio before you
think she is just a FEEL GOOD GURU. I joined Habitat for Humanity
because of her. I have helped build homes in Newark. (Not that I am a
great help, but I do my best)...she is an inspiration to many. I know
you will never change your mind, and neither will I, but I do not think
you understand how much she contributes to this world. Her whole life
is not THE OPRAH SHOW. She is one hell of a woman.

Oprah's Angel Network began on September 18, 1997, when Oprah announced
it to encourage viewers to make the world a better place for all of us
to live. "I want you to open your hearts and see the world in a
different way," she said. "I promise this will change your life for the
better." The campaign began by encouraging viewers to collect spare
change for 150 scholarships given through The Boys & Girls Clubs of
America, and to volunteer time to build 200 homes with Habitat for
Humanity.
To date, Oprah's Angel Network has raised more than $27 million,
including more than $7 million from celebrity contributions and
sponsors such as Jeff Bezos of Amazon.com, Paul Newman of Newman's Own,
and Oprah's friends and admirers, as well as $9 million from viewers
responding to the televised coverage of the ChristmasKindness South
Africa 2002 initiative. Oprah personally covers the administrative
costs of the organization so that 100% of all funds raised go to
charity.

Old February 16th 05, 04:42 PM
Jym Dyer

=v= When Oprah starts giving away bikes instead of cars,
maybe I'll like her more. Oh, and it would be nice if
she would stop hyping corrupt militaristic cops, too:

http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/...20011114.jhtml

(No matter how "inspiring" his "heroic" story might be.)
_Jym_
Old February 16th 05, 05:30 PM
Jack

Rich wrote:
I think everyone tends to preach their on religion. Just not many of

us
can round up that many followers. Hell, I can't get one.

I've never seen an Oprah show, but she's evidently doing something

right
to have gotten herself where she is.

Hmmm... So by that metric (having a successful show on TV) Jerry
Springer is also "doing something right." The "something right" that
each has managed to do is identify some demographic/nitch and exploit
it for all it's worth. The few times I've seen bits of Jerry's and
Oprah's shows they seemed about equally thought provoking -- with
Jerry's show being slightly more entertaining (for the 10 minutes it's
possible to watch either show without beginning to lose significant
numbers of brain cells).

Cheers,

-Jack

Old February 16th 05, 07:57 PM
Maggie

Jym Dyer wrote:
=v= When Oprah starts giving away bikes instead of cars,
maybe I'll like her more. Oh, and it would be nice if
she would stop hyping corrupt militaristic cops, too:

http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/...20011114.jhtml

(No matter how "inspiring" his "heroic" story might be.)
_Jym_

I guess we should all watch Jerry Springer, David Letterman, Montell or
best of all we can watch Geraldo Rivera open a safe to find Al Capone
or his money or whatever the hell he was looking for. Now there is a
man who rides a bike but is a total A-hole. Do you know in College he
was Jerry. No one called him Geraldo. Then he uses his heritage to
further his career. Gee look how far he got. There is a journalist
whose career went into the toilet. Someone should flush it.

If you look at the talk show hosts of today and compare...you will find
that Oprah is one of the best. Everyone is comparing her to
journalists. She never claimed to be Walter Cronkite. I guess its a
compliment to her for people to confuse a talk show host to a
journalist. They are two separate professions. Two very separate
professions in the media industry. She is a talk show host for Peters
sake.
All Good Things,
Maggie, (Finished defending Oprah the talk show host.)

Old February 17th 05, 03:28 AM
Mike Kruger

"Maggie" wrote in message

Have you ever heard of Oprah's Angel Network...and read the

last line.
100 percent of the monies go to the charities...because she

covers all
administrative cost herself... I don't think you realize how

much this
woman has accomplished in her life.

I don't much care for Oprah myself, but she's hardly one of
the top 1,000 things I would want to complain about.

I can change the channel and avoid Oprah. I'm not so lucky
with George W. Bush. I change the channel, and he's president
on that network, too.