Anyone know if they still make HRMs you can wear like a watch?

Old August 5th 05, 08:25 AM
Preston Crawford

Default Anyone know if they still make HRMs you can wear like a watch?

My HRM died. I'm trying to replace it for a reasonable price. All I need
is to be able to set a training range and then have it do its thing.
Nothing special. I tried a candidate from performance yesterday, the
Sigma Sport PC-14. Looked fine. Problem is it weighs more than my MP3
player and the band and watch are horribly uncomfortable. All the
watches in the store were like this. Then I went onto
performancebike.com.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=4115

Virtually the watches are this style where the band curves around and
doesn't flex much. Where it's hard rubber and wearing the watch is like
wearing handcuffs. Or at least what I imagine they'd feel like. Anyway,
point is it's uncomfortable. And it doesn't appear there's a single HRM
available from the usual stores that's any different. I've used Sigma
Sport in the past, but back then they had a normal watch face that was
smaller and round and flat. So it could accept a normal watch band if
you didn't like their's. And I used a Polar Pacer (the plain one) and
they got rid of that and replaced it with the Polar Beat that doesn't do
ranges. I feel like Unfrozen Caveman Cyclist. Like I woke up from 4
years of using my old Sigma Sport and my Polars and now all there is is
garbage, in terms of HRMs that you might want to wear as a watch.

I know, I know, I can strap it to my bike. But that kind of defeats the
purpose. I always liked the HRM that you could wear as a watch...

#1 - Because I could wear it running or skateboarding or swimming.
Contrary to what the manufacturers seem to believe (since they bundled
the PC-14 with a bike mount) not all HRMs get mounted to bikes.

#2 - Because I didn't have yet one more thing to remove from my bike
when locking it up.

So does ANYONE know of a decent quality sub-$100 HRM that is still
wearable as a watch. I don't care if it has frickin' Big Bird on the
face. Just so long as it works and it's comfortable.

Preston
Old August 5th 05, 02:09 PM
Michael Warner

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 02:25:44 -0500, Preston Crawford wrote:

So you /can/ wear them like a watch, but you find them uncomfortable -
fair enough. Why can't you replace the band with a type you prefer,
or wear it over a sweat band or piece of arm warmer?

Old August 5th 05, 06:41 PM
Reid Priedhorsky

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 02:25:44 -0500, Preston Crawford wrote:

So does ANYONE know of a decent quality sub-$100 HRM that is still
wearable as a watch. I don't care if it has frickin' Big Bird on the
face. Just so long as it works and it's comfortable.

I was at REI the other day and they had a smallish display case full of
watch-type HRMs. I didn't look too closely, but there were a dozen or more
to choose from, and I'll bet several of them were two figures.

I believe you'd have to add Big Bird yourself, though.

Reid
Old August 6th 05, 12:31 AM
Roger Zoul

It only took about 2 seconds to google:

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/...olar/S150.html

(the one I'd recommend)

or

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/...polar/All.html

Several there if you don't want any cycling specific functions (a mistake,
IMO).

:
[...]
: #1 - Because I could wear it running or skateboarding or swimming.
: Contrary to what the manufacturers seem to believe (since they
: bundled the PC-14 with a bike mount) not all HRMs get mounted to
: bikes.
:
: #2 - Because I didn't have yet one more thing to remove from my bike
: when locking it up.
:

Old August 6th 05, 07:42 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2005-08-05, Roger Zoul wrote:
It only took about 2 seconds to google:

First off, like I said, I did Google myself. But there's a difference
between reading about an HRM and having someone say "this is a good
HRM". So no need to be a smart a** about it.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/...olar/S150.html

(the one I'd recommend)

This is the one I got and I love it. Thanks for pointing me in the right
direction. My question is over. This is a very comfortable watch with
quite a few features and I got it for $90 at Performance.

Preston
Old August 6th 05, 07:57 PM
Roger Zoul

Preston Crawford wrote:
: On 2005-08-05, Roger Zoul wrote:
: It only took about 2 seconds to google:
:
: First off, like I said, I did Google myself. But there's a difference
: between reading about an HRM and having someone say "this is a good
: HRM". So no need to be a smart a** about it.

I wasn't being smart, I was just stating what I did. That's info.

Oh, I have two polars...they are both good. Since there are many models,
you do need to consider what functions YOU need and want to pay for.

:
:
http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/...olar/S150.html
:
: (the one I'd recommend)
:
: This is the one I got and I love it. Thanks for pointing me in the
: right
: direction. My question is over. This is a very comfortable watch with
: quite a few features and I got it for $90 at Performance.

Good for you. Enjoy!

$6 could make you very happy sara22 General 0 May 1st 05 06:23 AM
Make quick cash $$$$$$$$$$$$$ fast [email protected] General 0 December 25th 04 07:29 AM
A problem with gears. Donny UK 105 December 22nd 04 09:10 AM
RoadBikeRider newsletter on tire wear Matt O'Toole Techniques 2 June 11th 04 12:08 AM