Retail Markup on Bikes at LBS ?

Old August 17th 05, 07:28 PM
rs

Default Retail Markup on Bikes at LBS ?

I'm just curious having worked long ago in retail in a music store where A
markups were common, meaning the item was marked up 100% or cost the store
half at retail. I know a good LBS (local bike shop) will take quite a bit
more time in fitting a bike properly when selling it compared to Wal-Mart,
plus after sales adjustements, so I certainly don't begrudge a healthy markup.
But the cost of the bike, on the wholesale level, is about what percentage to
the MSRP?

thanks to all

Old August 17th 05, 08:23 PM

Back in the day when I managed an independent LBS, we would get annoyed
with Trek because they would publish msrp (manufacturers suggested
retail prices) based on a 28% proffit margin when we normally did 33%
profit margin on all the other bicycles. Of that profit margin, we had
to pay shipping, assembly, payment on the loans, rent, heat, credit
card charges, etc. Customers would come in carrying Trek ads or
magazine reviews or buyers guides showing those prices and would get
put off if we marked them up higher. The best Trek we ever had was
their top of the line 720 touring bike. The reason this bike was so
great was we used it for a side by side comparison with the then
popular Specialized Expedition touring bike. The Trek was $180 more
and was not finished as well or equiped as well. THat bike sat for a
long time while the Expedtions & Sequoias & stump jumpers & rock
hoppers flew out the door.

The rest of the inventory was marked up double wholesale. Jersies were
always a problem because most would go unsold and get marked 1/2 off to
clear them out.

Old August 19th 05, 01:43 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:10:59 GMT, Chuck
wrote:

My LBS said 40% on the main brand. He also said that accessories and
service was the best marigin.

Maybe that's why my LBS seems happy to see me ride in on a bike I
didn't buy there! (Mostly because they didn't, and still don't, carry
the model I wanted.) I think I, and the insurance company, have
bought more than a bike there by now.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Design News article about bikes [email protected] Techniques 8 January 14th 05 01:07 PM
Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM