Critical Mass Law Breaking.

Old March 19th 10, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Adrian

Default Critical Mass Law Breaking.

Derek C gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Car rallying on temporarily closed minor public roads is allowed in
the Isle of Man, the Republic of Ireland and in many other European
Countries.

Not just rallying. I gather it's permitted in a small principality just
off the South of France...

That will be Monaco then?

It might well...

I don't know if it still the case, but the road from Belgium to
Luxemburg used to include part of the Spa Francorchamps Grand Prix
circuit, including the notorious Eau Rouge bend.

Yes, Spa is a partial road circuit (although not exactly THAT close to
LU, nor are any particularly major roads involved.

Le Mans is still partially public road, too.

And if ever you want to encounter real hair-on-back-of-neck-on-end
ghosts, and are near Reims, visit the restored pits and grandstands from
the old GP circuit, on the D27 from Thillois to Gueux.

http://snipurl.com/uxtop
Old March 19th 10, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Steve Walker[_2_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
Jim A considered Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:13:53

It isn't a legitimate procession.

You do realise that by making that assertion, you are in contempt of
the highest court in the land?

I see what you did there - deliberately affecting the style of an ignorant
bar-room lawyer for comic effect.

Old March 19th 10, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
francis

On Mar 19, 6:57*am, Tony Dragon wrote:
Phil W Lee wrote:
Jim A considered Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:13:53
+0000 the perfect time to write:

Doug wrote:
Broadly speaking yes but what you are ignoring is that as a legitimate
procession CM should be treated by other road users and by the police
as any other procession, i.e. with respect and allowed to go through
red lights and hold up traffic.
Most processions are only occasional, maybe once a year.

The Law Lords didn't think that was relevant.
Prior to the Law Lords ruling the police used to accompany CM and do
the corking and even ordered riders to go through red lights but now,
seemingly in a fit of pique at being defeated in law, they have washed
their hands of it. They were anyway a mixed blessing at best.

From my POV the underlying problem is that drivers usually treat
cyclists with barely concealed contempt and hate being delayed by them
so have no respect for CM as a legitimate procession
It isn't a legitimate procession.

You do realise that by making that assertion, you are in contempt of
the highest court in the land?

Wow that's up there with some of the best.
Where did you get your law degree?

, which inevitably
leads to confrontation and sometimes violence in the form of
deliberate ramming.
Two wrongs don't make a right and bleating about motorist's reaction to
CM sounds a lot like going crying to mummy. *Grow up, get a life and do
some proper cycling rather than making life worse for the rest of us
cyclists.

--
Tony Dragon

I'm sorry that I shall have to stop posting to usenet for a while.
As it is on record that I have said that cm do illegal things, I know
that the higest court of the land have traced my internet posts to a
small cybercafe.
I have been warned that the police have been instructed to find be and
bring me before the courts, charged with contempt.
How they came to hear about me I don't know, but I think Lee has had
something to do with it.
If it wasn't him perhaps I could hire him to represent me as he
obviously has a special knowledge of legal matters.

Francis
Old March 20th 10, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Doug[_3_]

On 19 Mar, 12:33, Derek C wrote:
On Mar 19, 12:10*pm, ashley filmer wrote:

On 19 Mar, 10:22, Derek C wrote:

On Mar 19, 10:00*am, Doug wrote:

On 19 Mar, 09:06, Derek C wrote:

As I understand it, roads can be closed for specified periods, with
prior permission from the controlling road authority and Police
agreement, for organised processions and sporting events. Speed limits
still have to be observed, so there is no motor racing or stage
rallies on UK public roads allowed without a special act of
parliament. That is why the RAC Rally of Wales is held on private
Forestry Commission tracks. Also why the Isle of Man is so popular for
Motorbike racing and Car Rallies, because speed limits can be
suspended for such events by their separate Parliament.

I would therefore suggest that the Critical Mass is an illegal
procession, as the roads have not been legally closed to allow it to
take place. If a large number of cyclists wish to use the same bit of
road at the same time, they have every right to do so, but should obey
all traffic laws and rules of the road.

With many London processions roads are not closed but instead are
channelled with tapes into a lane while the rest of the road remains
in use. Also, motorways and A roads were not closed for the Wootton
Bassett biker demo.

That is still a partial road closure. In the Wootton Basset case the
processions were controlled by the Police to minimise disruption to
everyday road users. Obviously not the intention of CM, who seem to be
out to cause the maximum amount of disruption!

Derek C- Hide quoted text -

The fact that we congregated on an airfield before we started the ride
also means that disruption wias kept to a minimum.http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...er.co...Hi de quoted text -

If push bike riders did a similar, properly organised, event for
charity, and stopped behaving like risk taking, law breaking,
unlicensed hooligans, they might do their case a bit of good.

What case would that be?

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk

Old March 20th 10, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Doug[_3_]

On 19 Mar, 10:02, Adrian wrote:
Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

With many London processions roads are not closed but instead are
channelled with tapes into a lane while the rest of the road remains in
use.

Exactly. Separation from normal traffic, to minimise disruption.

But not road closure.

Also, motorways and A roads were not closed for the Wootton Bassett
biker demo.

The demo wasn't _on_ A-roads and m'ways. Are you now suggesting that the
route all participants take to the event also counts as part of the event
route?

It was reported as such. Anyway, clearly as I am pointing out again,
not all processions involve road closures.

Old March 20th 10, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Derek C

On Mar 20, 8:04*am, Doug wrote:
On 19 Mar, 10:02, Adrian wrote: Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

With many London processions roads are not closed but instead are
channelled with tapes into a lane while the rest of the road remains in
use.

Exactly. Separation from normal traffic, to minimise disruption.

But not road closure.

Also, motorways and A roads were not closed for the Wootton Bassett
biker demo.

The demo wasn't _on_ A-roads and m'ways. Are you now suggesting that the
route all participants take to the event also counts as part of the event
route?

It was reported as such. Anyway, clearly as I am pointing out again,
not all processions involve road closures.

They do normally require road authority and police permission in
advance, who will take reasonable measures to protect the general
public and the participants in the procession. This could take the
forms of full or partial road closures, or police escorts.

Derek C

Old March 20th 10, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Sir Jeremy

On 19 Mar, 19:25, Derek C wrote:
On Mar 19, 7:05*pm, Adrian wrote:

Derek C gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

One event.
A competitive race - not a charity run. (and let's not forget that it
is absolutely illegal to run any kind of motor vehicle competitive
event on public roads)
Not quite true. Car clubs can organise low speed events such as treasure
hunts and navigational rallies, where it is not necessary to exceed any
speed limits.

Indeed - but there can be no competitive element to the driving. Not even
a regularity component.

You can also drive on the (open) public highway to get from one car
rally special stage to the next one.

During which time the RTA applies in full.

Car rallying on temporarily closed minor public roads is allowed in the
Isle of Man, the Republic of Ireland and in many other European
Countries.

Not just rallying. I gather it's permitted in a small principality just
off the South of France...

That will be Monaco then? Several Grand Prix races are run on closed
street circuits.

I don't know if it still the case, but the road from Belgium to
Luxemburg used to include part of the Spa Francorchamps Grand Prix
circuit, including the notorious Eau Rouge bend.

Derek C- Hide quoted text -

not anymore
Old March 21st 10, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Doug[_3_]

On 20 Mar, 10:13, Derek C wrote:
On Mar 20, 8:04*am, Doug wrote:

[...]

But not apparently if they are customarily held processions, as London
CM is.

Old March 27th 10, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Doug wrote:

The *R* word has to be used in a Doug post if possible

It is a very nasty and dangerous deliberate action on the part of
drivers who are allowed to get away with it. If I don't bring it up
who else will?

You claim to have been rammed in this video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4WOmrwXPg

The video is 26 seconds long. Could you specify exactly when you were
rammed?

--
Dave - the small piece of 14th century armour used to protect the armpit.

Old March 27th 10, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

JMS wrote:

Now come on - Anchor Lee is well established as a legal authority in
uk.rec.cycling. The people there take his word as gospel.

Here are some of his earlier "judgments":

If you find 2 abreast cyclists more obstructive than single file ones,
you must have been intending to pass dangerously close anyway.
(Anchor Lee)

If you claim to be held up by a cyclist, you are admitting to
dangerous driving, since the only way you could be held up is if your
intention was to pass dangerously close.
(Anchor Lee)

Commenting on a legal gate in a public park: I'd think it comes under
the heading of "causing an obstruction",
and should be investigated by the police as such.
(Anchor Lee)

If Traffic Lights are not working, then you can telephone the police
for permission to procede.
IF this is not forthcoming, then you can reports it as "unlawful
detention".
(Anchor Lee)

The police have clearly not been persuaded by the Law Lords, and still
try to treat the procession as unlawful. In this they are now equally
clearly in contempt of court. (Anchor Lee)

Scuse me. I have to report what I assume is a typo or misspelling. I
realise 'Anchor' sounds right....

--
Dave - the small piece of 14th century armour used to protect the armpit.