Garmin 935

Old December 16th 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

Default Garmin 935

Anyone in this political group use a Garmin 935 for the bike. I am using a 910xt I like but thinking of getting another. I could just go straight Garmin Edge 520 or 530 since I am riding many miles. The problem is the 935 does the same thing basically and I don't use a power meter feature. I do use heart rate and in the end it is all about the speed right?

So what do you use out there?
Deacon Mark
Old December 16th 20, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 16 december 2020 om 20:06:47 UTC+1 schreef :
Anyone in this political group use a Garmin 935 for the bike. I am using a 910xt I like but thinking of getting another. I could just go straight Garmin Edge 520 or 530 since I am riding many miles. The problem is the 935 does the same thing basically and I don't use a power meter feature. I do use heart rate and in the end it is all about the speed right?

So what do you use out there?
Deacon Mark

It depends whether you want/need maps and navigation. If not a watch device is perfectly OK although wearing it on your wrist is a bit inconvenient IMO. Personally I don't like to wear a watch (I also had that clunky 910xt with that awful strap) when cycling so I use a Garmin Edge 1030 and after my back up edge 810 suffered a battery death also a Wahoo Element Roam. I'm pleasantly surprised with the Wahoo; it is a Garmin without software and hardware issues. The only negative thing I see is the smaller and lower resolution display and the need of a smartphone to set it up/change settings.

Lou
Old December 16th 20, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:54:26 -0800 (PST), Lou Holtman
wrote:

... after my back up edge 810 suffered a battery death...
Lou

Replacement batteries for the Garmin Edge 810 are available for about
$20 to $30.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=garmin+edge+810+battery
Battery replacement looks to be quite easy. Just remove about 8
screws from the back, remove the back, unplug the old battery, plug in
the new battery, replace cover, replace screws, and you're done. Some
videos:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=garmin+edge+810+battery+repla cement

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 17th 20, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

I personally like touch screens and navigation which is one reason I chose
the 830, as well it does what I want, various club mates have Wahoo
Elements which seem to be less fiddly to set up, though personally I don’t
want to have to use my phone for say navigation.

Roger Merriman

Old December 17th 20, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 01:38:20 -0000 (UTC),
Roger Merriman wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 16 december 2020 om 20:06:47 UTC+1 schreef :
Anyone in this political group use a Garmin 935 for the bike.
I am using a 910xt I like but thinking of getting another.

The 935 is a Forerunner, right? Not sure that line is optimal for
cycling. When you say 910, do you mean 810, perhaps? I don't
find a 910 from a quick search of the web.

I could just go straight Garmin Edge 520 or 530 since I am
riding many miles. The problem is the 935 does the same thing
basically and I don't use a power meter feature. I do use
heart rate and in the end it is all about the speed right?

Okay, if you don't want/need navigation, the 935 might be fine. I
used to use a Polar wrist HRM with a fitting that let me mount it
on my handlebars, so you wouldn't have to wear it on your wrist.

Another option could be the old Edge 500. It's a really nice
cycling computer with great display and also has HRM. The
downside is it's discontinued, though you can probably find a used
one on ebay. I actually have two, and would be willing to sell
one quite cheaply if you're interested.

Interestingly, the 500 will also do rudimentary navigation, though
it will only show where you are with respect to a preloaded
course. It won't show roads.

So what do you use out there?

I have an 820 and also a 520 for my wife. I wasn't that keen on
the 820's touchscreen at first, but I've gotten comfortable with
it. If i had it to do again, I'd have gotten a 520 instead of the
820 (in fact, I only bought the 820 because it was all the shop
had the day before a NYC Century I was doing.

It depends whether you want/need maps and navigation. If not a
watch device is perfectly OK although wearing it on your wrist
is a bit inconvenient IMO. Personally I don't like to wear a
watch (I also had that clunky 910xt with that awful strap)
when cycling so I use a Garmin Edge 1030 and after my back up
edge 810 suffered a battery death also a Wahoo Element Roam.
I'm pleasantly surprised with the Wahoo; it is a Garmin
without software and hardware issues. The only negative thing
I see is the smaller and lower resolution display and the need
of a smartphone to set it up/change settings.

I personally like touch screens and navigation which is one
reason I chose the 830, as well it does what I want, various
club mates have Wahoo Elements which seem to be less fiddly to
set up, though personally I don???t want to have to use my
phone for say navigation.

I don't disagree with any of this. Also, have a look at DC
Rainmaker's website. He has a great number of in depth reviews of
Garmin products, all quite well done.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

Old December 17th 20, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op donderdag 17 december 2020 om 02:38:23 UTC+1 schreef Roger Merriman:
Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Everybody has his own preferences and needing a phone will be a showstopper for some people. To get a route into your Wahoo Element you need the Wahoo app on your phone. Once the route is synchronized you can leave your phone home if you want. Personnally I think it is not that different from getting a route into your Garmin (dropping into the new file folder using a PC/laptop or synchronizing with the crappy Garmin Connect Mobile app on your phone). The big difference is that if you deside to navigate to a place/address during your ride you need the phone app to do so but it works remarkably well and much easier that typing the address on your Edge. YMMV

Lou
Old December 17th 20, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Someone said the 520 edge does not do nearly as well as the 530 and worth the difference in price. Said the 520 had some GPS issues at times. I use my 910xt with the quick release strap so that I just twist it off the band and set it on the bike like a real bike computer. I would do that with the 935. Another reason for my upgrade is my 910xt is getting years on it and while it does everything I want it to and more, just wondering if I should prepare and get another one. I one of those who like to have spares around because like tires they can get holes in the equipment. That is why I keep a set of new replacement parts for other things on hand.

Also the tough screen does that work with full finger gloves on. I am a guitarist so always wear full finger gloves when I cycle even in heat of summer. Wool gloves in winter and does the touch screen work with these?
Deacon Mark
Old December 17th 20, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

The touchscreen of my 1030 only works reliable with special touchscreen gloves. IIRC different models use different type of screens so maybe other people can comment on that. Personally I think a touchscreen is overrated. Setting the device up is a one time event and during riding operating a touchscreen is a challenge. The only thing I use the touchscreen is switching between the map screen and the data screen but two of my bikes have Di2 and I can switch between the screens by pressing the hidden buttons on my shifter.. This is much easier and safer than swipe. The Wahoo does not have a touchscreen but I kind of like the use of the three buttons under the display. YMMV.

Lou
Old December 17th 20, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

The 520 is older tech and is quite underpowered, ask it to do stuff ie
navigation etc and it takes its time etc, the 530/830 are next gen and by
factors faster, and well Garmin’s answer to Wahoo.

Roger Merriman

Old December 17th 20, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Just star a new route on Strava and on most Garmin’s next time they sync,
be that usb/Bluetooth/WiFi the route will appear.

830 and any of the Garmin’s with built in navigation have built in points
of interest, ie can search for pub pick the one and it will route to say or
you can put in the address the 830 touch screen is close to iPhone etc in
responsiveness. Is it perfect no but thus far seems good.

Roger Merriman

Garmin 800 gps Simon Lewis Techniques 4 December 27th 10 08:50 PM
Garmin HRM Henry[_4_] Racing 9 January 23rd 10 07:20 AM
Garmin 305 HRM? Woland99 Racing 0 January 15th 08 06:41 AM
Garmin eTrex Vista C and associated Garmin handlebar holder Bill-Dorset-UK UK 1 November 30th 06 05:23 PM
GPS: Garmin Forerunner vs. Garmin Foretrex mgrant Unicycling 3 January 23rd 06 07:52 PM