Saw an intelligent bicyclist today

Old March 5th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
gpsman

Default Saw an intelligent bicyclist today

On Mar 5, 12:33 am, wrote:
On Mar 4, 7:41 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

wrote:

Your post calls for no real addressing. The data, almost ALL of it,
shows speeds going up, and fatalities going down.

False. Stephen has posted over a dozen counterexamples.

There *are* no reliable sources that support your assertion.

For counterexamples to disprove your "no reliable sources," here's
what Stephen Harding found and posted. I quote:

That's quite a bit different from your claim that there are "no
reliable studies." Is it possible that a study's reliability depends
on whether you like its outcome?

I'll note that the general run of argument from the driving fans has
been: Speed has no bearing on safety - because we want to drive
faster. Speed limits are set too low - because we want to drive
faster. There are too many stop signs - because we want to drive
faster. Speed humps should not be used in residential neighborhoods -
because we want to drive faster. We'll refuse to shop in your area -
because we want to drive faster.

If, at any time, one of you were to say "Well, here's an instance
where drivers should be made to drive slower," it would indicate a
_little_ less bias. But in the several years we've had these repeated
discussions, that's never happened.

Slow down, boys. You're just making yourself agitated by always
trying to go faster, and you're not accomplishing anything productive
with the time you save, if any.

Lol. Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?
-----

- gpsman
Old March 5th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
N8N

On Mar 5, 6:38*am, Stephen Harding wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 4, 1:04 pm, Stephen Harding wrote:

I can only dream of a 5 mpg advantage!

Drive 45 with your tailgate down.

Hey what's the r.a.d. position on tailgates down?

Don't do it! *It doesn't help and may hurt mpg.

Putting a tonneau cover is about the best you can
do or leave it stock and hope the air bubble in
the bed helps keep air flow laminar as much as some
automotive engineers claim.

SMH

That squares with what I've heard as well; apparently the air in the
bed is "dead air" anyway so whether you have a tonneau or not makes
little difference. The tailgate apparently gives something of a Kamm
effect so it is actually beneficial.

I have a camper shell on my pickup so that I can carry car parts,
machine tools, etc. without worry about weather or sticky fingers, so
the decision has already been made for me in my case.

nate
Old March 5th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
N8N

On Mar 5, 9:52*am, " wrote:

In the suburbs you get the yuppies who consider you a lower life form

Heh. I love yuppies, I really do.

nate
Old March 5th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 5, 12:51*pm, N8N wrote:
On Mar 5, 9:52*am, " wrote:

In the suburbs you get the yuppies who consider you a lower life form

Heh. *I love yuppies, I really do.

nate

I love lots of yuppies. Some of them are my family. What can ya do...
Old March 5th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
N8N

On Mar 5, 12:53*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 5, 12:51*pm, N8N wrote:

On Mar 5, 9:52*am, " wrote:

In the suburbs you get the yuppies who consider you a lower life form

Heh. *I love yuppies, I really do.

nate

I love lots of yuppies. *Some of them are my family. *What can ya do....

Show up at their house in jeans and a wifebeater carrying a six of
PBR? Cans, of course.

nate

(why yes, I *am* available to give advice on a whole range of awkward
social situations.)
Old March 5th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 5, 12:57*pm, N8N wrote:
On Mar 5, 12:53*pm, " wrote:

On Mar 5, 12:51*pm, N8N wrote:

On Mar 5, 9:52*am, " wrote:

In the suburbs you get the yuppies who consider you a lower life form

Heh. *I love yuppies, I really do.

nate

I love lots of yuppies. *Some of them are my family. *What can ya do....

Show up at their house in jeans and a wifebeater carrying a six of
PBR? *Cans, of course.

nate

(why yes, I *am* available to give advice on a whole range of awkward
social situations.)

Oh, I have and do. Well, less the wifebeater - I'm a jeans & T-shirt
guy. I'm the one that moved to NH, drives a dented & scratched pickup
truck (often through the woods), and considers a beer or bourbon by an
outdoor fire the epitome of relaxation. I grew up partying in the
woods at keggers that people got to by truck, ATV or walking. People
rarely walked - that's why pickup trucks have beds!! Then again, I
have been called a yuppie and I do meet the definition at times. Oh
well...
Old March 5th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Ed Pirrero

On Mar 4, 10:02*pm, Zoot Katz wrote:
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:51:47 -0800 (PST), Ed Pirrero

wrote:
On Mar 3, 7:19*pm, Zoot Katz wrote:
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 20:18:36 -0600, Tom Sherman

Many drivers wish to project their self-worth through the car they
drive. I've no problem with that. It helps me regard them as
something less than human. *They're just plain "squishy turds in a
can" when considering them collectively and caged.

Which, of course, you never say aloud in public.

It's easy to be a usenet hero. *It's harder IRL.

The sticker clearly visible on my rear fender sums it up:
CARS SUCK

Another bike says: ANY IDIOT CAN DRIVE

I've another that says: FUKENKARZ.

I'm no Usenet hero so have probably disappointed at least seven
posters and probably a few lurkers in r.b.m I've had the pleasure
to meet, IRL.*

And we'd hear the refrain from them, I'm sure, "He's a nice guy."

Which means that you are indeed a usenet hero. Q.E.D.

When I simply looked at a driver like an overflowing toilet and they
give me the finger I know they got the message. My initial response
was to grab my crotch. Fool pulls over, gets out and runs into the
street. When he punched me in the back after I'd avoided hitting him,
I had a feeling he might like to talk. After turning around and
slowly coasting back along the sidewalk I started reciting his plate
number aloud when within earshot. At twenty feet he bolted, got back
into his coffin and fuktoff.

That's a nice fairy tale. I've heard those before.

On the internet, anyone can be tough AND good-looking.

*IRL, lots of people know me as *Zoot Katz but mostly call me the
same name as my mother did.

You're still anonymous, and still wrong about nym-shifting. But you
can attempt to PROVE that I nym-shifted. Go ahead, big talker.

E.P.
Old March 6th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:56:43 -0800 (PST), Ed Pirrero
wrote:

When I simply looked at a driver like an overflowing toilet and they
give me the finger I know they got the message. My initial response
was to grab my crotch. Fool pulls over, gets out and runs into the
street. When he punched me in the back after I'd avoided hitting him,
I had a feeling he might like to talk. After turning around and
slowly coasting back along the sidewalk I started reciting his plate
number aloud when within earshot. At twenty feet he bolted, got back
into his coffin and fuktoff.

That's a nice fairy tale. I've heard those before.

Maybe you previously read an account of the incident.
Use your hacking skills to dig up the police report. I live in
Vancouver, BC.

*IRL, lots of people know me as *Zoot Katz but mostly call me the
same name as my mother did.

You're still anonymous, and still wrong about nym-shifting. But you
can attempt to PROVE that I nym-shifted. Go ahead, big talker.

Here, read my lips: GO FIST YOURSELF
I have no interest in exposing your sock puppets.

The nym Zoot Katz has been unchanged since I started posting to this
group in August 2000. I dropped the X-No_Archive field in October of
that year. My legal name isn't in the phone book either.
--
zk
Old March 6th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Ed Pirrero

On Mar 5, 7:29 pm, Zoot Katz wrote:
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:56:43 -0800 (PST), Ed Pirrero

Use your hacking skills to dig up the police report. I live in
Vancouver, BC.

Hmm, that's not all that far away. I may have to come and pay you a
visit.

*IRL, lots of people know me as Zoot Katz but mostly call me the
same name as my mother did.

You're still anonymous, and still wrong about nym-shifting. But you
can attempt to PROVE that I nym-shifted. Go ahead, big talker.

Here, read my lips: GO FIST YOURSELF

I can't wait until I there in person so I can here that come directly
from you piehole. It will be amusing.

I have no interest in exposing your sock puppets.

That's because you can't. ROTFL!

I'll be in contact about the meet. I have relatives less than 90
miles from you, and I can't wait to see what kind of a really tough
guy you are in person.

E.P.
Old March 6th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 20:45:00 -0800 (PST), Ed Pirrero
wrote:

Here, read my lips: GO FIST YOURSELF

I can't wait until I there in person so I can here that come directly
from you piehole. It will be amusing.

Be sure to use a good lube and maybe a latex glove.

I have no interest in exposing your sock puppets.

That's because you can't. ROTFL!

I'll be in contact about the meet. I have relatives less than 90
miles from you, and I can't wait to see what kind of a really tough
guy you are in person.

Traditionally, van.general twits like you are told to meet at Red
Robin's except they never show up.

Probably because mommy won't let them out of the house after dark.

It's just past nine. How's eleven sound?
--
zk

DANGER and Intelligent Unicyclists ivan Unicycling 14 November 11th 07 10:23 PM
What - Intelligent Thought? Joe Cipale Racing 291 February 28th 07 04:16 AM
What - Intelligent Thought? ST Racing 0 February 20th 07 12:28 AM
Intelligent comment Mikefule Unicycling 25 July 21st 05 03:05 AM
more intelligent computers Miles General 7 December 8th 04 12:52 AM