IAM Poll on Cycling

Old February 23rd 10, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Neil[_4_]

Default IAM Poll on Cycling

I want to make you aware of the survey the IAM is currently running on
cyclists, see http://www.iam.org.uk/iam_polls/.

As an IAM member I am appalled by the whole tone of the survey, which very
much seems to regard cyclists as a problem to be solved, rather than as
fellow road users. I don't believe you have to be a member to take part.
Please take the survey and publicise this amongst fellow cyclists as much
as possible.

Neil
Old February 23rd 10, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On 23 Feb, 13:38, Neil wrote:
I want to make you aware of the survey the IAM is currently running on
cyclists, seehttp://www.iam.org.uk/iam_polls/.

As an IAM member I am appalled by the whole tone of the survey, which very
much seems to regard cyclists as a problem to be solved, rather than as
fellow road users. I don't believe you have to be a member to take part.
Please take the survey and publicise this amongst fellow cyclists as much
as possible.

Neil

Well, it could have been done better but, as a member of the CTC, I
was probably more appalled by the recent survey they (we?) did on
cycling and lorries - so I'm not really going down too much of the
criticism route as it will inevitably result in plenty of Tu Quoque
replies.

Colin
Old February 23rd 10, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Neil wrote:

I want to make you aware of the survey the IAM is currently running on
cyclists, see http://www.iam.org.uk/iam_polls/.

As an IAM member I am appalled by the whole tone of the survey, which very
much seems to regard cyclists as a problem to be solved, rather than as
fellow road users.

It reads more like an attempt to gauge public opinion on several trvel and
tax-related topics.

What's wrong with that?

And are you really suggesting that the standard of cycling in the UK
(especially London) could not be raised?

I don't believe you have to be a member to take part.

True. Otherwise I could not have voted (thanks for the link).

But it seems that you can only use a single IP address once.
Old February 23rd 10, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Neil[_4_]

JNugent wrote:

It reads more like an attempt to gauge public opinion on several trvel and
tax-related topics.

I totally disagree. The tone is very much that cyclists are a problem.

What's wrong with that?

The problem is that there is no hint that other road users could be a
significant part of the problem.

And are you really suggesting that the standard of cycling in the UK
(especially London) could not be raised?

I'm sure it could, equally the attitude of other road users to cyclists
could be improved, roads could be designed with all users in mind, not just
cars, etc., etc. If the survey acknowledged the full breadth of the issues,
I wouldn't object, however, all the suggested measures to be taken are
measures to be imposed on cyclists. In short the survey suggests a
particular subset of the possible solutions, rather than considering all
aspects of the problem.

Neil
Old February 23rd 10, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Neil wrote:

JNugent wrote:

It reads more like an attempt to gauge public opinion on several trvel and
tax-related topics.

I totally disagree. The tone is very much that cyclists are a problem.

What's wrong with that?

The problem is that there is no hint that other road users could be a
significant part of the problem.

They're asking about *one* problem (or one set of problems).

There's no point in dropping questions about over-weight HGVs into a series
of questions about bikes (or vice-versa), is there?

Or do you simply object to any questions being asked about bikes and others'
perceptions of them and their riders?

And are you really suggesting that the standard of cycling in the UK
(especially London) could not be raised?

I'm sure it could,

And given that it could, what's wrong with asking for public opinion on it?

equally the attitude of other road users to cyclists
could be improved,

That's largely in the hands of cyclists. There *was* a time when cyclists
were not seen as a problem by other road-users (particularly pedestrians) -
and it wasn't all that long ago.

What has changed?

The behaviour of (too many) cyclists. And the fawning attitude of too many
local politicians.

roads could be designed with all users in mind, not just
cars, etc., etc.

All any road user needs is flat tarmac.

If the survey acknowledged the full breadth of the issues,
I wouldn't object, however, all the suggested measures to be taken are
measures to be imposed on cyclists. In short the survey suggests a
particular subset of the possible solutions, rather than considering all
aspects of the problem.

Why don't you ask the IAM (not an organisation I have too much time for, BTW)
to publish a poll of your devising?
Old February 23rd 10, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Neil wrote:
I want to make you aware of the survey the IAM is currently running on
cyclists, see http://www.iam.org.uk/iam_polls/.

As an IAM member I am appalled by the whole tone of the survey, which
very much seems to regard cyclists as a problem to be solved, rather
than as fellow road users. I don't believe you have to be a member to
take part. Please take the survey and publicise this amongst fellow
cyclists as much as possible.

Great! Thanks for posting the link - I've voted!

--
Dave - The Tax Paying Motorist

Old February 23rd 10, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

Neil wrote:
I want to make you aware of the survey the IAM is currently running on
cyclists, see http://www.iam.org.uk/iam_polls/.

As an IAM member I am appalled by the whole tone of the survey, which
very much seems to regard cyclists as a problem to be solved, rather
than as fellow road users. I don't believe you have to be a member to
take part. Please take the survey and publicise this amongst fellow
cyclists as much as possible.

Great! Thanks for posting the link - I've voted!

And how did your vote compare to the results already in?

Old February 23rd 10, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

On 23 Feb, 18:32, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Neil wrote:
I want to make you aware of the survey the IAM is currently running on
cyclists, seehttp://www.iam.org.uk/iam_polls/.

As an IAM member I am appalled by the whole tone of the survey, which
very much seems to regard cyclists as a problem to be solved, rather
than as fellow road users. I don't believe you have to be a member to
take part. Please take the survey and publicise this amongst fellow
cyclists as much as possible.

Great! *Thanks for posting the link - I've voted!

--
Dave - The Tax Paying Motorist

So have we thanks to dongle technology. (swmbo myself and
grandaughter) I couldn't make up my mind if it should be compulsory
helmets or compulsory training, sadly it only allows one or the other.
Old February 23rd 10, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Neil[_4_]

JNugent wrote:

Neil wrote:

The problem is that there is no hint that other road users could be a
significant part of the problem.

They're asking about *one* problem (or one set of problems).

And only a very skewed set of solutions.

There's no point in dropping questions about over-weight HGVs into a
series of questions about bikes (or vice-versa), is there?

Or do you simply object to any questions being asked about bikes and
others' perceptions of them and their riders?

Only when the multi-choice questions have answers that dictate the outcome.

And are you really suggesting that the standard of cycling in the UK
(especially London) could not be raised?

I'm sure it could,

And given that it could, what's wrong with asking for public opinion on
it?

It depends on how the question is asked. There are a whole bunch of really
imaginative ideas out there. This survey is only offering the same old crap
that has been bandied around for as long as I can remember.

equally the attitude of other road users to cyclists
could be improved,

That's largely in the hands of cyclists. There *was* a time when cyclists
were not seen as a problem by other road-users (particularly pedestrians)
- and it wasn't all that long ago.

Cobblers. it was no better in the 1980s when I used to cycle in London.

roads could be designed with all users in mind, not just
cars, etc., etc.

All any road user needs is flat tarmac.

Flat tarmac doesn't produce a safe environment. Some of the best tarmac is
on the motorways and I certainly wouldn't want to cycle on a motorway. The
suitability of a road for differnet users depends on a lot of differnet
factors including the way a road is laid out and signposted and the laws
governing it's use.

If the survey acknowledged the full breadth of the issues,
I wouldn't object, however, all the suggested measures to be taken are
measures to be imposed on cyclists. In short the survey suggests a
particular subset of the possible solutions, rather than considering all
aspects of the problem.

Why don't you ask the IAM (not an organisation I have too much time for,
BTW)
to publish a poll of your devising?

Although I can recognise a skewed set of questions, I don't claim to be an
expert on designing polls.

Neil
Old February 23rd 10, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Clive George wrote:
Neil wrote:
I want to make you aware of the survey the IAM is currently running
on cyclists, see http://www.iam.org.uk/iam_polls/.

As an IAM member I am appalled by the whole tone of the survey,
which very much seems to regard cyclists as a problem to be solved,
rather than as fellow road users. I don't believe you have to be a
member to take part. Please take the survey and publicise this
amongst fellow cyclists as much as possible.

Great! Thanks for posting the link - I've voted!

And how did your vote compare to the results already in?

:-)

--
Dave - the small piece of 14th century armour used to protect the armpit.

NOW Poll Michael Baldwin Racing 5 September 23rd 08 02:43 AM
TDF and poll No Name Racing 1 July 6th 08 09:10 AM
Poll- KH or Nimbus, i want this money to go to good use, so plz do the poll! thx! Unisykolist Unicycling 21 April 24th 08 06:26 AM
one poll Andre Racing 0 March 26th 07 03:54 AM
LX vs DX Poll ParadoX Unicycling 2 February 21st 05 11:42 PM