cycling data report

Old November 18th 20, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default cycling data report

https://cyclingindustry.news/london-...s-almost-zero/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 18th 20, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 8:11:47 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/london-...s-almost-zero/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

So people do actually ride a bike without a helmet. I have on occasion seen someone riding and not wearing a helmet. My first thought is they are not serious cyclist and stay away. What little brains I have need all the protection they can get. You are up early Andrew is that your normal style?

Deacon Mark
Old November 18th 20, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 18 november 2020 om 15:11:47 UTC+1 schreef AMuzi:
https://cyclingindustry.news/london-...s-almost-zero/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Damn, we in last place...

Lou
Old November 18th 20, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 8:25:27 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 8:11:47 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/london-...s-almost-zero/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

So people do actually ride a bike without a helmet. I have on occasion seen someone riding and not wearing a helmet. My first thought is they are not serious cyclist and stay away. What little brains I have need all the protection they can get. You are up early Andrew is that your normal style?

Deacon Mark

Unfortunately the commonly used helmets have NO effect on the number of traffic deaths. What they do have an effect on is the severity of single bike accidents. And that barely measurable. This is why I push the Trek Bontrager Q-cell helmet. This was specifically designed to reduce the effects of minor crashes Whether it does or not is still lost in the large lack of statistics because actual injuries of bicyclists are so low. But at least they are the first member of the helmet industry to actually address the key features that a helmet may help with.
Old November 18th 20, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/18/2020 11:25 AM, Mark Cleary wrote:
On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 8:11:47 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/london-...s-almost-zero/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

So people do actually ride a bike without a helmet. I have on occasion seen someone riding and not wearing a helmet. My first thought is they are not serious cyclist and stay away. What little brains I have need all the protection they can get.

Yes, Mark, millions upon millions of people actually ride a bike without
a helmet, just as they always have. Millions also walk without helmets
even though that's much more dangerous (in total fatalities, or in
fatalities per mile traveled) than riding a bike.

You're welcome to stay away from me when I ride. I may not be as
"serious" a cyclist as you, whatever that means to you, but odds are I'm
much more experienced and competent.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 18th 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 8:44:36 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Op woensdag 18 november 2020 om 15:11:47 UTC+1 schreef AMuzi:
https://cyclingindustry.news/london-...s-almost-zero/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Damn, we in last place...

Watching bike traffic last year in the City of London, it looked like someone was running a Cat 5 bike race and a double-decker bus race at the same time on the same course -- with scooters thrown in for good measure. The limited bike facilities were on-street, choked and people were moving fast. Most of the cyclists were just filtering in traffic at high speed. It's not very Netherlandish. I'm surprised there aren't more fatalities.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 18th 20, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 11:43:54 AM UTC-6, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 8:44:36 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Op woensdag 18 november 2020 om 15:11:47 UTC+1 schreef AMuzi:
https://cyclingindustry.news/london-...s-almost-zero/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Damn, we in last place...

Watching bike traffic last year in the City of London, it looked like someone was running a Cat 5 bike race and a double-decker bus race at the same time on the same course -- with scooters thrown in for good measure. The limited bike facilities were on-street, choked and people were moving fast. Most of the cyclists were just filtering in traffic at high speed. It's not very Netherlandish. I'm surprised there aren't more fatalities.

-- Jay Beattie.

So Frank you don't wear a helmet I take it. Ok, that sounds fair you are entitled to do that if you choose and it seems you are a serious cyclist. That you are more experience cyclist and competent that me. I don't know never cycled with you.

Deacon Mark
Old November 18th 20, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/18/2020 10:25 AM, Mark Cleary wrote:
On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 8:11:47 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/london-...s-almost-zero/

So people do actually ride a bike without a helmet. I have on occasion seen someone riding and not wearing a helmet. My first thought is they are not serious cyclist and stay away. What little brains I have need all the protection they can get. You are up early Andrew is that your normal style?

Deacon Mark

Slept about an hour late today actually. It's nice to be
warm in a cold room, very comfy.

Old November 18th 20, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/18/2020 10:44 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 18 november 2020 om 15:11:47 UTC+1 schreef AMuzi:
https://cyclingindustry.news/london-...s-almost-zero/

Damn, we in last place...

Lou

Or first depending on one's viewpoint.

Old November 18th 20, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 18 november 2020 om 15:11:47 UTC+1 schreef AMuzi:
https://cyclingindustry.news/london-...s-almost-zero/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Damn, we in last place...

Lou

Measure it as “helmets per sq km” and you’ll probably move up a place or
two.