A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

hubs re=greased?

Old December 4th 20, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default hubs re=greased?

I have a set of wheels H and Son archetype with Shimano ultegra hubs 32 hole. They roll true and seem to spin just fine no issues. I got them 16 months ago have about 10,000 miles on them. Would you inspect and re-grease these or leave them alone? Just spinning them in a truing stand they seem absolutely free and clear spinning effortlessly. But I know sometimes it pays to do something before it starts.

Deacon Mark
Ads
Old December 4th 20, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default hubs re=greased?

On Friday, December 4, 2020 at 10:34:35 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I have a set of wheels H and Son archetype with Shimano ultegra hubs 32 hole. They roll true and seem to spin just fine no issues. I got them 16 months ago have about 10,000 miles on them. Would you inspect and re-grease these or leave them alone? Just spinning them in a truing stand they seem absolutely free and clear spinning effortlessly. But I know sometimes it pays to do something before it starts.

If they spin true and straight and make no noise from the hubs reminiscent of a bearing beginning to wear, leave them alone.
Old December 4th 20, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default hubs re=greased?

On Friday, December 4, 2020 at 12:53:11 PM UTC-6, wrote:

If they spin true and straight and make no noise from the hubs reminiscent of a bearing beginning to wear, leave them alone.

Would the ball bearings you buy at a typical box store work on a bike. I go to Menards I see they have 1/4 and various sizes ball bearings but are they basically the same ones Shimano would use? Might not hurt to pick up some they are cheap enough to have around.

Deacon Mark
Old December 4th 20, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default hubs re=greased?

On Friday, December 4, 2020 at 11:24:39 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Would the ball bearings you buy at a typical box store work on a bike. I go to Menards I see they have 1/4 and various sizes ball bearings but are they basically the same ones Shimano would use? Might not hurt to pick up some they are cheap enough to have around.

Deacon Mark

Shimano balls are probably grade 25, so just make sure you get that or better, although better than G25 (a smaller number) probably won't produce any benefit to you, although it may benefit the store's bottom line.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 4th 20, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default hubs re=greased?

On Friday, December 4, 2020 at 11:24:39 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Deacon Mark

I don't know what people mean by a box store. I would assume that the Ultegra hub, if it isn't too old has sealed bearings and could have the number of the ball bearing assembly printed on the outside of the bearing. You would go to an auto parts store and get hopedfully and American or German made ball bearing with that number. If you have loose balls as the older Shimano hubs did you get balls that are Rockwell C 60 and G0025 or if available a SMALLER G number.
Old December 4th 20, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default hubs re=greased?

On Friday, December 4, 2020 at 12:34:35 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Deacon Mark

10,000 miles. That is a fair amount of use. I'd regrease them sometime in the not too distant future. 15,000 miles at the most. Shorter distance would be even better. Grease does eventually wear out and get contaminated. Best to be pre-emptive.
Old December 4th 20, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default hubs re=greased?

On 12/4/2020 1:24 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:

Deacon Mark

Use Grade 25 where at all possible. That's the highest
commercial grade and the best value. If there's no grade
marked on the package, skip it and shop elsewhere.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old December 4th 20, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default hubs re=greased?

On 12/4/2020 1:34 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:

I think I'd re-grease, using the same balls. As others said, if you do
replace the balls, make sure to buy good ones. I don't think I'd trust a
normal hardware store.

A couple of my bikes have hubs with the old style oil holes. Although I
use grease lubrication, some lazy or busy years I've just dripped a bit
of oil into those holes. I saw no bad effects. I've been tempted to
drill oil holes in other hubs, but haven't done so - yet.

--
- Frank Krygowski