Things to know

Old December 6th 20, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

Default Things to know

So if you take a front road wheel and spin it by hand how long does yours spin before stopping? Today I check my front Ultegra bearings and they were fine the 10000 plus miles shows zero wear. I did pull the bearings and re-greased, cleaned them up but of course when you dump the while lithium grease back they look dirty again. Maybe should have used my marine grease but did not.

In any case I spun the wheel afterward by hand the computer has it getting to 9mph and it spins about 45 seconds. I then went over to the other bike that has pretty much a front wheel with 105 hubs and simply spun that one. It manages to spin for a minute. Both smooth but I wonder if that means a damn thing?
Deacon Mark
Old December 6th 20, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 2:17:15 PM UTC-8, wrote:
So if you take a front road wheel and spin it by hand how long does yours spin before stopping? Today I check my front Ultegra bearings and they were fine the 10000 plus miles shows zero wear. I did pull the bearings and re-greased, cleaned them up but of course when you dump the while lithium grease back they look dirty again. Maybe should have used my marine grease but did not.

In any case I spun the wheel afterward by hand the computer has it getting to 9mph and it spins about 45 seconds. I then went over to the other bike that has pretty much a front wheel with 105 hubs and simply spun that one. It manages to spin for a minute. Both smooth but I wonder if that means a damn thing?
Deacon Mark

Most of the drag on wheel bearings are from the seals. So the length of time that the wheel will spin is pretty long and dependent upon the weight of the wheel. Do NOT use heavy marine grease, pro mechanics use light oil in TT wheels. Normally you would use a light grease as Campagnolo markets. It is little more than jellied oil. I don't like lithium grease since it seems to pick up dirt from a distance.
Old December 6th 20, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 2:17:15 PM UTC-8, wrote:
So if you take a front road wheel and spin it by hand how long does yours spin before stopping? Today I check my front Ultegra bearings and they were fine the 10000 plus miles shows zero wear. I did pull the bearings and re-greased, cleaned them up but of course when you dump the while lithium grease back they look dirty again. Maybe should have used my marine grease but did not.

In any case I spun the wheel afterward by hand the computer has it getting to 9mph and it spins about 45 seconds. I then went over to the other bike that has pretty much a front wheel with 105 hubs and simply spun that one. It manages to spin for a minute. Both smooth but I wonder if that means a damn thing?

Looking around I don't see the light grease that Campagnolo used to sell but White Lighting and WD40 both sell clear lubricating grease and Park tool sells some sort of black stuff that is made to be completely water repellent. Of course I believe that sort of thing don't I?
Old December 6th 20, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 12/6/2020 2:17 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
So if you take a front road wheel and spin it by hand how long does yours spin before stopping? Today I check my front Ultegra bearings and they were fine the 10000 plus miles shows zero wear. I did pull the bearings and re-greased, cleaned them up but of course when you dump the while lithium grease back they look dirty again. Maybe should have used my marine grease but did not.

In any case I spun the wheel afterward by hand the computer has it getting to 9mph and it spins about 45 seconds. I then went over to the other bike that has pretty much a front wheel with 105 hubs and simply spun that one. It manages to spin for a minute. Both smooth but I wonder if that means a damn thing?
Deacon Mark

I doubt the 15sec difference means much. Could be a difference in seal
friction (if either of your hubs has the rubber cone-to-dust cover seals
that used to be popular). Could be a minor difference in how tight you
adjusted the cones. Both sound fine to me. Besides, I doubt we're very
consistent with how hard we spin a wheel.

What might be a finer measure of hub friction: Spin the wheel very
slowly so that the wheel quits "turning over" and starts
spinning/swinging back and forth as the heaviest point (usually either
valve, reflector, or rim join, but not always) seeks bottom. Usually
the wheel stops when the heaviest point is *near* bottom but not *at*
bottom - the heavy point swings past bottom then stops, b/c friction
overcomes the tiny bit that the weight is off-bottom.

Spin a few times and compare the distance of the shortest "swing," and
how close to bottom the heavy point is. Less friction will make the
wheel continue to oscillate with shorter swings. Higher friction will
stop the wheel when the swings are still kinda large. Of course a
better-balanced wheel will confound all this.

PS - just so long as you get *some* oscillation before the wheel stops,
you're probably doing just fine.

Mark J.

Old December 6th 20, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/6/2020 4:17 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
So if you take a front road wheel and spin it by hand how long does yours spin before stopping? Today I check my front Ultegra bearings and they were fine the 10000 plus miles shows zero wear. I did pull the bearings and re-greased, cleaned them up but of course when you dump the while lithium grease back they look dirty again. Maybe should have used my marine grease but did not.

In any case I spun the wheel afterward by hand the computer has it getting to 9mph and it spins about 45 seconds. I then went over to the other bike that has pretty much a front wheel with 105 hubs and simply spun that one. It manages to spin for a minute. Both smooth but I wonder if that means a damn thing?
Deacon Mark

No idea.Too many variables.

Heavier rim/tire spins longer (you aren't measuring your
energy input)

Properly adjusted bearing will spin longer than a tight one.
A bearing adjusted too slack will spin pretty well with no
load but will wear quickly in normal service.

Before service, your lubricant may be a bit dried and pushed
away from the balls. Fresh lubricant is 'in the way' and
lubricants cover quite a range of viscosities.

I'm curious about "they look dirty again". That may mean
you didn't clean the hubshell or threads on the axle etc.
That sort of problem can lead to really fast wear if the
crud previously pushed to the corners is now running in your
lubricant.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 6th 20, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/6/2020 6:28 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Properly adjusted bearing will spin longer than a tight one. Â*A bearing
adjusted too slack will spin pretty well with no load but will wear
quickly in normal service.

Before service, your lubricant may be a bit dried and pushed away from
the balls. Fresh lubricant is 'in the way' and lubricants cover quite a
range of viscosities.

I'm curious about "they look dirty again".Â* That may mean you didn't
clean the hubshell or threads on the axle etc. That sort of problem can
lead to really fast wear if the crud previously pushed to the corners is
now running in your lubricant.

I agree with all of what Andrew said, including cleaning things
thoroughly. When comparing two wheels, the weight of the rim, tube and
tire make a difference, since heavier flywheels spin longer, other
things being equal. I suppose even different spokes could affect things
- although ...

I remember years ago when I was playing with aerodynamics, I did your
test with my bike's stock wheel. Then I replaced the spokes with bladed
spokes and tested again. I'd changed nothing else in the wheel. I knew
that the lesser air resistance of the spokes would allow it to coast
longer, but I wanted to see how much longer.

Except it didn't. The wheel stopped sooner with the bladed spokes. Not
much sooner, but multiple trials gave consistent results. I can't say why.

The important thing to remember is, bearing friction is practically
negligible, unless things are really terrible in there. It's a minuscule
portion of the forces holding you back when you ride. It's kind of like
clipping your fingernails to save weight.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 7th 20, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/6/2020 5:45 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

one. Â A bearing adjusted too slack will spin pretty well
[...]

Yes, I'm with you mostly.

As with so may things, sometimes we don't know what it is we
don't know. In my small understanding of aerodynamics for
low speeds (sub-mach = bicycles, autos) the effects change
dramatically sometimes. Aero spokes may well give an
advantage at 30~35mph (race speeds) imperceptible in your
test. I don't know but it's very possible.

Fashionable rear spoilers on autos are mostly geegaws but
can be very useful at 100, 120mph and up. My own Corsa drops
noticeably at just over 85mph when using the front air dam.
A guy driving it below 65mph would never know that.

Old December 7th 20, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 6 Dec 2020 18:45:23 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I believe that drag force, increase as a square of the speed (assuming
turbulent flow), in a constant medium, so idly spinning a wheel isn't
going to prove a thing. You would need to spin the wheel at a constant
speed equal to some specific speed over the ground and measure
resistant force which would give you the wind resistance at that
speed.

Note: Laminar flow causes increases in proportion to the velocity.

And, of course wind drag is also dependent on the density of the fluid
in which the part is tested so "air drag" varies with both altitude
and temperature.

Or, as you say, roughly similar to cutting your fingernails at bicycle
speeds :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 7th 20, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I think the rates of increase can be more complicated. If the drag
coefficient were constant, you may be correct; but Cd can vary quite a
bit. See
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_221913856

Also, note the scatter in the results by various experimenters.
Aerodynamics can be very sensitive, very tricky.

And, of course wind drag is also dependent on the density of the fluid
in which the part is tested so "air drag" varies with both altitude
and temperature.

Right. Ideally, that's covered in the experimental data by using the
Reynolds Number instead of just velocity, which accounts for fluid
properties. In the real world, those properties do change.

Or, as you say, roughly similar to cutting your fingernails at bicycle
speeds :-)

Indeed. That's what I eventually decided, after fussing with bladed
spokes, "aero" water bottles, disc wheel covers, etc. The big aero gains
are in tight vs. floppy clothes, and drop bars or even aero bars when
you can use them.

However, when I've built handlebar bags I have given them a streamlined
shape. It just bothers me to be pushing a big rectangular box right out
there in the frontal air flow.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 7th 20, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I think, without making any measurements, that if you'll just get off
the bike it's aerodynamics will be pretty good :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

2 things MagillaGorilla[_3_] Racing 6 June 12th 08 02:09 AM
######THEY DO DIFFERENT THINGS TO GET IT############# [email protected] General 0 April 28th 08 08:09 AM
The things you see MTBlood Mountain Biking 11 September 21st 05 10:52 PM
several things strawberry Mountain Biking 6 April 7th 05 07:57 PM
How's Things? David White Marketplace 0 January 17th 05 12:48 AM