Thoughts on cycling in Denmark

Old October 26th 03, 10:03 PM
Hugh Fenton

Default Thoughts on cycling in Denmark

Just returned from a week work in Denmark. I had a number of
thoughts......

1. Hub gears outnumber derailleur at least 5 to 1. I this because hub
gears are just arguably better as a working tool - rather than as a toy

2. Lights - I would have thought that such "practical" cyclists would
use dynamo lights - but nearly everyone uses battery lights

3. Bike paths - I counted myself as a bikepath sceptic. Now I'm not so
sure. Perhaps I'm just a BAD bike path sceptic

4. Bikes on Trains - heaven, enough said.

Hugh Fenton

Old October 29th 03, 12:11 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Hugh Fenton wrote in message
Just returned from a week work in Denmark. I had a number of
thoughts......

1. Hub gears outnumber derailleur at least 5 to 1. I this because hub
gears are just arguably better as a working tool - rather than as a toy

Denmark is mostly quite flat too (highest point: a whole 173m!), and thus
the need for a broad range of gears is less. The same applies to an even
greater extent in Holland (highest point: 26cm).

2. Lights - I would have thought that such "practical" cyclists would
use dynamo lights - but nearly everyone uses battery lights

Dynamos are a pain in the arse though. Sure, you don't have to replace
batteries, but you have to spend a fortune to get decent ones. i.e. ones
that hold charge when you are at the lights, quiet, unobtrusive, don't wear
your tyres out etc.

Personally battery lights are all I would use. They are useful if you need
to find your way in the dark when not on your bike too.

3. Bike paths - I counted myself as a bikepath sceptic. Now I'm not so
sure. Perhaps I'm just a BAD bike path sceptic

Denmark certainly caters well for the cyclist, but it is a tiny country, and
thus is a bit more suited to cycling than Oz.

4. Bikes on Trains - heaven, enough said.

Aaah, yes. Means you can get from anywhere to anywhere without a car.
Niiiiiice....

BTW, are you posting from the Balkans?
---
DFM

Old October 30th 03, 02:23 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Olav & Marianne wrote in message

"Deep Freud Moors" schreef in
bericht ...
Hugh Fenton wrote in message
Just returned from a week work in Denmark. I had a number of
thoughts......

1. Hub gears outnumber derailleur at least 5 to 1. I this because hub
gears are just arguably better as a working tool - rather than as a

toy

Denmark is mostly quite flat too (highest point: a whole 173m!), and

thus
the need for a broad range of gears is less. The same applies to an even
greater extent in Holland (highest point: 26cm).

Hold
on................................................ ......................
We even have an official classified Hill (over 300M) over here (i think

even
2) in the most southern part of our country (provence Limburg).

I think I saw it. It's somewhere near Maastricht, yeah?

We even have steep slopes of 23% going up (for only 600M).
And another school lesson for you ;-))
My country is called "Kingdom of the Netherlands" (short Netherlands).
Holland is an old name wich is out of date (about 1815, i don't think your
that old ;-)).
So what can you call Holland than? Well the 2 provences in the west (North
and South Holland).

Yeah, I usually refer to it as Holland, because Netherlands/Nederlands is
harder to pronounce. I am convinced the Netherlanders purposefully make
their language (especially place names) as difficult as they can.

A classic example is 's Hertogenbosch. How the hell can you have a place
name that starts with an apostrophe????

G'day

Dag (Dutch for 'hi', Aussie for 'dag')!
---
DFM

Old October 30th 03, 09:28 PM
Olav & Marianne

"Deep Freud Moors" schreef in
bericht ...
[...]

Olav
(2Meters above sealevel, with an ATB (MTB is a bit overdone here ;-))

Old October 31st 03, 11:10 AM
gaza

A classic example is 's Hertogenbosch. How the hell can you have a
place
name that starts with an apostrophe????

Gee that brings back memories.....haven't heard that one for a long time.
I stayed there 30 years ago. I was hitching around Spain and met up with a
guy that came from there and invited me to stay at his parents farm.
I think they had about 2 acres and 5 cows and made a good living.
The house was double story and the cows had the downstairs in winter.

Old October 31st 03, 09:09 PM
Olav & Marianne

"Deep Freud Moors" schreef in
bericht ...
[...]

Yep between Maastricht and Vaals (close to Aachen Germany), thats the region
for serious MTB in NL ;-))
How else can we have an world champ in MTB :-)

We even have steep slopes of 23% going up (for only 600M).
And another school lesson for you ;-))
My country is called "Kingdom of the Netherlands" (short Netherlands).
Holland is an old name wich is out of date (about 1815, i don't think

your
that old ;-)).
So what can you call Holland than? Well the 2 provences in the west

(North
and South Holland).

Yeah, I usually refer to it as Holland, because Netherlands/Nederlands is
harder to pronounce. I am convinced the Netherlanders purposefully make
their language (especially place names) as difficult as they can.

A classic example is 's Hertogenbosch. How the hell can you have a

place
name that starts with an apostrophe????

You may call 's Hertogenbosch also Den Bosch the same like
's Gravenhage is Den Haag (our political capital)
's is an abreviation of des which is on its turn old dutch.

G'day

Dag (Dutch for 'hi', Aussie for 'dag')!

You can say Hi also overhere, it is even an 'brandname' for KPN see
www.hi.nl (KPN = national telecom operator like Telstra (the even operate
sattelite telefone together).

Moors sounds more Dutch/Belgian than "Aussie". I even think your dutch or
belgian from origin ore at least one of your parents, ore are you married
and accepted the name (over here it is even possible to have the name of
your wife, where else than The Netherlands)

G'Day.

Olav
(Who still wants to see more of Oz, after traveling there more than 40.000Km
by 4wd and motorcycle, next time around on a pushbike)

Old November 1st 03, 01:32 AM
Deep Freud Moors

[...]

But hurry, because the rumours are that this hill is going to be used to for
more dikes soon! ;o)

[...]

You can speak English anywhere in the Netherlands anyway. In the months that
I spent there (living in Nijmegen, working in Maastricht), I found only one
old man that didn't speak English. Fortunately his French was impeccable,
and so communication was no problem.

Moors sounds more Dutch/Belgian than "Aussie". I even think your dutch or
belgian from origin ore at least one of your parents, ore are you married
and accepted the name (over here it is even possible to have the name of
your wife, where else than The Netherlands)

No, I am not Dutch, or Belgian, and my surname is not even Moors! My screen
name has transformed from Deep Fried Mars (bar), the ludicrously unhealthy
food that was either invented by the Scottish or the Americans, depending on
who you believe. Originally I am from Irish/French/Anglo extraction,
depending on how far back you go.

G'Day.

G'day is really only for saying 'hello' in Australia. The equivalent of the
Dutch "douie" is "see ya", (Italian) "ciao", "catch you later", or simply
"bye".

Olav
(Who still wants to see more of Oz, after traveling there more than

40.000Km
by 4wd and motorcycle, next time around on a pushbike)

I am sure you will be most welcome!!!
---
DFM

Old November 1st 03, 12:36 PM
Deep Freud Moors

But hurry, because the rumours are that this hill is going to be used to
for
more dikes soon! ;o)

Aha is that where the are getting al the sand ;-) Well that is the other

way
around than than place in Quensland where they want to put more sand up

the
"hill" which overlooks the city, so it is actually more then 300M (because
than they can clame it is an hill). Damn can't come up with the name, it

is
surounded by hills it lays on the shore, it has an sea aquarium.... Oke
looked it up it's Townsville.

Aaah, those bloody Queenslanders. The heat makes them go crazy!!!

G'Day.

G'day is really only for saying 'hello' in Australia. The equivalent of

the
Dutch "douie" is "see ya", (Italian) "ciao", "catch you later", or

simply
"bye".

Yip, i know, but it is often sad (correct ? Say sad ?) to me when saying
goodbye.

You mean "often said". Past tense of 'say'. I did say = I said = I have
said. Pronounced 'sed'.

(it is usually someone helping me with language, so it is a pleasure to help
someone else occasionally!)

It is interesting, because I cannot remember ever hearing g'day said as a
goodbye. Historically, they might say "good day to you", but I didn't think
it was used anymore. Is there anyone else out there that can help?

Olav
(Who still wants to see more of Oz, after traveling there more than

40.000Km
by 4wd and motorcycle, next time around on a pushbike)

I am sure you will be most welcome!!!

Haven't been refused last time when i was on hold in Brisbane (Aussie
Customs again) when travelling to NZ. Could image that 3 times was the

limit
;-))

Aussie customs are some of the toughest in the world. I don't always
consider that a good thing!
---
DFM

Old November 2nd 03, 05:56 AM
Olav & Marianne

"Deep Freud Moors" schreef in
bericht ...

[...]

Well "Moors" is a dutch/Belgium name thats why