rolf vector pro rim build question

Old October 2nd 04, 02:03 AM
James Placer

Default rolf vector pro rim build question

Hi there,

I have a set of Rolf vetor pro rims. 16 / 14 hole that I may want to play
with. Rims are basically brand new. But I have no Rolf hubs, spokes etc.
But I do have a set of 32 /28 hole mavic 501 hubs. ( being the 126mm retro
grouch that I am) The idea is , if possible, to build the rims up onto those
hubs. any suggestions, caveats, don't try it etc would be appreciated. Let
me know what you think of this idea and how you would run the spokes and
nipples. ( Otherwise if someone wants to trade some stuff for the rims, and
everyone thinks this would be a bad idea, let me know also)

James.

Old October 2nd 04, 07:00 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I have a set of Rolf vetor pro rims. 16 / 14 hole that I may want to play
with. Rims are basically brand new. But I have no Rolf hubs, spokes etc.
But I do have a set of 32 /28 hole mavic 501 hubs. ( being the 126mm retro
grouch that I am) The idea is , if possible, to build the rims up onto
those
hubs. any suggestions, caveats, don't try it etc would be appreciated.
Let
me know what you think of this idea and how you would run the spokes and
nipples. ( Otherwise if someone wants to trade some stuff for the rims,
and
everyone thinks this would be a bad idea, let me know also)

James.

James: I wouldn't recommend trying. When you reduce the number of spokes
in a wheel, you have to increase the tension on each remaining spoke,
probably so much that you'd very quickly tear the spokes out of a hub not
designed for such purposes.

I don't think spokes are the problem; any high-quality 14-gauge spoke will
probably be fine. But very few hubs are designed to take such stress, and
even some of the Rolf hubs failed due to spokes pulling the flanges apart.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 2nd 04, 02:18 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

james- I have a set of Rolf vetor pro rims. 16 / 14 hole that I may want to
play
with. Rims are basically brand new. But I have no Rolf hubs, spokes etc.
But I do have a set of 32 /28 hole mavic 501 hubs. ( being the 126mm retro
grouch that I am) BRBR

Why sulley up these wonderful hubs with these goofy rims?
I can get ya some really nice Fiammes or Mavic tubie rims and make ya a set of
really nice retro wheels.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old October 2nd 04, 03:09 PM
dianne_1234

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 21:03:00 -0400, "James Placer"
wrote:

Hi there,

I have a set of Rolf vetor pro rims. 16 / 14 hole that I may want to play
with. Rims are basically brand new. But I have no Rolf hubs, spokes etc.
But I do have a set of 32 /28 hole mavic 501 hubs. ( being the 126mm retro
grouch that I am) The idea is , if possible, to build the rims up onto those
hubs. any suggestions, caveats, don't try it etc would be appreciated. Let
me know what you think of this idea and how you would run the spokes and
nipples. ( Otherwise if someone wants to trade some stuff for the rims, and
everyone thinks this would be a bad idea, let me know also)

James.

Sounds like fun!

Be sure to note the angle of the spoke holes in the rim. They point
either to the hubs' left or right flange.
- The front rim holes point alternating right-left-right-left.
- The rear rim holes point right-right-left-left
So just make sure you've got the Spokes in the correct rim holes.

What I've done at the hub:
- Right flange: use two adjacent spoke holes, so the pattern is
spoke-spoke-hole-hole. The two nearby spokes should diverge as they
leave the hub.
- Left flange: Use every other hole. Spoke-hole-spoke-hole.

Nipples: I've used Rolfs and ordinary nipples turned upside-down.

I've seen some hubs break (even Vector Pros), but your Mavic hubs
flanges seem pretty beefy to me.

I'd go for it! All you need is a bunch of 14g spokes.

Old October 3rd 04, 08:28 PM
El Rey del Philly

Mike
How do you like those Vectro Pros. I've been riding them for 2 years. I
find them great on the flats but they have a heavy feel on the hills. As
for durability, they are superb. Never out of true and I weigh 170.
Marc