Has anyone...

Old June 14th 06, 12:10 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Has anyone...

done a google search on what you have posted in AM-B over the years?

I don't post much these days, what with a wife, 2 young daughters, work and
rides when I can squeeze them in; I do lurk as much as possible though.

Anyway, back to the topic. As I read the group I often reflect on how alot
of the same people who were here when I started posting in the mid '90's
(under Yagamon1) are still here and many are not. It's kind of like a big
group of friends that come and go in the real world.

A few memories that come to mind... I remember one of JD's first posts (if
not his first), he had just moved to CO and had suffered a personal tragedy
(his business to recount if he cares to). The regulars were all very
supportive and hopefully were able to help him through it. Another "JD
memory" was the time many years ago he and I kept some inane thread going in
a pseudo-contest of Blazing Saddle quotes (How about some more beans Mr.
Taggart). JD certainly has rubbed a few people the wrong way over the
years, but I for one respect him for his brutal honesty and I know for a
fact he is a hell of a rider. He is the kind of guy who if he is your
friend will always have your back.

9/11/01 was a tragic day. Amongst the vivid memories I have of that day is
the incredible post by Corvus Corvax (Gotham Burns) detailing first hand
what it was like to be a witness to the devastation. I saved a copy for an
occassional dose of reality. Thanks Corvus.

Does anyone remember Dot Morrison? Erutan000? Those of you that do will
know why I don not elaborate further.

I'm happy to see Carla, Penny and Gabrielle around. When I read their posts
I always wonder what happened to the other girls of AM-B, Sabine and
Kathleen (she loves her dogs).

And what about Rich Touart, Commander Bond and Cleanbean? Where did those
guys go? Speaking of old timers, I also wonder what happened to TrekkieDad
who tried so hard to keep people from responding to a certain troll's posts.
Chip, are you lurking around, my rasta brah?

Speaking of trolls, we certainly have had our fair share of kooks. One of
my favorites was that Italian guy who hated SRAM (ah ah, death to you), he
was hilarious.

One thing that has remained a constant in the group is the love of mountain
biking we all share. I have come to realize that it does not matter what
you ride, or how well you ride it. It's all about getting out there and
riding, whether it's on an urban bike path with absolutely no technical
challenges or on the most challenging technical trail you can find.
Whatever floats your boat.

I consider myself an intermediate to advanced rider in some areas. Climbing
stamina has always been a challenge because I don't get to ride as much as I
like. I can descend with the best of them though. While the epic rides
always stand out in my mind, some of the best rides I have had is when I
have let one of my friends ride my loaner bike for the first time on dirt.
To see them get hooked on the sport is such a high for me.

Anyway, this has rambled in a few different directions; I've been
reminiscing a bit. Bottom line, I'm always happy to see the same old faces
around and always happy to see the new people that have become a PRODUCTIVE
member of the AM-B family. Also, amused (and sometime annoyed) to see that
kooks who have nothing better to do with their time other than bait and
harrass people will always be around.

See you all on the trails,

CG

Old June 14th 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:10:35 -0700, Chris Glidden wrote:

I started posting in the mid '90's (under Yagamon1)

Hey, I remember you! I started posting in 1995, using various incarnations
of Bauer. I had an entry in that R.B.O-R FAQ we put together around that
time.

Does anyone remember Dot Morrison? Erutan000? Those of you that do will
know why I don not elaborate further.

Yes.

I'm happy to see Carla, Penny and Gabrielle around. When I read their posts
I always wonder what happened to the other girls of AM-B, Sabine and
Kathleen (she loves her dogs).

Haven't heard from Kathleen in a long time. She had some great posts.

And what about Rich Touart, Commander Bond and Cleanbean? Where did those
guys go? Speaking of old timers, I also wonder what happened to TrekkieDad
who tried so hard to keep people from responding to a certain troll's posts.

TrekkieDad pops by from time to time. He's mainly just road riding these
days. Rich also pops by on rare occasions, but the AM-Bar has been boarded
up for quite some time. :-(

Speaking of trolls, we certainly have had our fair share of kooks. One of
my favorites was that Italian guy who hated SRAM (ah ah, death to you), he
was hilarious.

Ah, ah, gianni! That had me grinning!

Anyway, this has rambled in a few different directions; I've been
reminiscing a bit. Bottom line, I'm always happy to see the same old faces
around and always happy to see the new people that have become a PRODUCTIVE
member of the AM-B family. Also, amused (and sometime annoyed) to see that
kooks who have nothing better to do with their time other than bait and
harrass people will always be around.

Good to hear you're still riding; I'm not riding as much as age and bad
knees have limited me, but I sitll get out there. Yeah, the kooks always
keep it exciting around here.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address
Old June 14th 06, 02:48 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:10:35 -0700, Chris Glidden wrote:

done a google search on what you have posted in AM-B over the years?

Strangely enough, I was just googling the Real Ale Wobble & wondering
where the UK AMB-ers have gone off to.

9/11/01 was a tragic day. Amongst the vivid memories I have of that day
is the incredible post by Corvus Corvax (Gotham Burns) detailing first
hand what it was like to be a witness to the devastation. I saved a
copy for an occassional dose of reality. Thanks Corvus.

That post is one of the most amazing things I've ever read. It's up there
with frickin' Nabokov IMO.

I'm happy to see Carla, Penny and Gabrielle around.

*waves & passes you the latest trail snack from my test kitchen*

gabrielle

Old June 14th 06, 03:07 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Chris Glidden wrote:
snip
I'm happy to see Carla, Penny and Gabrielle around. When I read
their posts I always wonder what happened to the other girls of AM-B,
Sabine and Kathleen (she loves her dogs).

snip

Still alive and kicking. Put in 53 miles last week, albeit on the bent
rather than the mtb.
Still loving the doggies, still running the flyball club. Bad Company,
my club's A-team consisting of Scully & Zane (my BCs), Flynn (aussie),
Tilt (jrt) and as of last weekend, Dannie (cattle dog X), pretty much
dominates Division 2 wherever we choose to compete.
My JRT, Cooper, AKA The Spanish Inquisition, serves as the afterburner
for the club's B-team (and only because I can't handle 2 dogs on the
A-team). It's an absolute blast running a 4.8 second dog as the anchor
on a 21 second team. They never see it coming... When your height dog
is on the box before your opponent can send, you don't expect to be
overtaken, run down and crushed by a tiny raging psycho flyball beast...

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Kathleen

Old June 14th 06, 04:37 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Chris Glidden" wrote in message
[...]

Yo Chris, I don't spend much time around here anymore but I come through
once in awhile to see what is going on. This group was very helpful
answering my dumb questions when I first got into MTBing.

Chris, here is a link http://www.socaltrailriders.org/ you may already know
of it, if not check it out. Tomorrow 4:30 Single Speeds in Laguna
Wilderness Park...including the good stuff.

Dean
Laguna Beach, CA

Old June 14th 06, 04:57 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Chris Glidden" wrote in message
done a google search on what you have posted in AM-B over the years?

I don't post much these days, what with a wife, 2 young daughters, work
and rides when I can squeeze them in; I do lurk as much as possible
though.

SNIP
See you all on the trails,

CG

I originally posted under Jack-Norman. back in 2001. I remember the AM-Bar.
thought it was quite funny.
Many of the same people are here as then, some new, others have gone away.
Thanks for the memory lane....

Drew

Old June 14th 06, 06:31 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

And what about Rich Touart, Commander Bond and Cleanbean?

CG

I was just thinking about Mr. Bond the other day. It must be his senoir
year at Tufts by now. I'm sure the work load has been keeping him very
busy.
____
Slack

Old June 14th 06, 07:04 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Kathleen wrote:
Chris Glidden wrote:
snip
[...]

Nice,

Bill "DR for Doggie Report" S.

Old June 14th 06, 12:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Chris Glidden wrote:
done a google search on what you have posted in AM-B over the years?

Not recently. I use Netscan
http://netscan.research.microsoft.co....mountain-bike

I wish I could remember when I started on AM-B, but the damned headband
cuts off the flow of blood to the brain. ;-)
Anyone else still using their headband?
Steve