Flying with vs. shipping...

Old June 16th 06, 10:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Flying with vs. shipping...

I'm heading up the the panhandle of ID in a couple weeks (Sandpoint) and am
a quandry. I hate to trust UPS or FedEX with my baby BUT having a toddler
an infant and an overpacking wife in my company makes it kind of difficult
logistically to get everything to and from everywhere we are going. I have
flown with bikes previously (love the bag Carla) and it is difficult just
with my own personal gear without having to worry about car seats,
strollers, etc. Any advice, warnings shipping?

Also, I have scoped out some trails in the area, Gold Hill right in
Sandpoint and Bernard Peak are on the top of my list right now. I spoke to
Erin at Sports Plus in Sandpoint, she let me know about some new trails they
have been working on that she'll give me the skinny on when I get there.
Penny (aka Formica), you were able to help me out on MTBR (I posted as
MTB_Dad), thanks for the help.

I'll only be able to get a day or two of riding in as this is a family vaca,
and my much beloved wife just doesn't "understand". You would think she
would understand as I was riding 2-3 times a week when we met. It's all
good.

CG

Old June 16th 06, 11:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Get a couple of old hubs/axles to clamp onto your front and rear
dropouts to help prevent a crushing blow? Lots of padding and tape to
keep it all in place. Wifey shipped her bike from AZ to MI and back via
UPS with no problems. Tom

Old June 16th 06, 11:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Chris Glidden wrote:
[...]

Google a bit as I have replied many times on this very subject. Having
both flown and fedexed my rides, I now only FedEx them. Safer, cheaper,
and INSURED!

I wrap my bike in pallet wrap and put a block of wood between the
drop-outs in front and back. Then it goes in the Trico Iron-Case.
Cross-country shipping via fedex never costs me more than $45.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old June 17th 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Chris Glidden" wrote in message
[...]

I've shipped with both Fedex and UPS. They both do something
hugely damaging to the shipping container during transit. Both times, the
straps
were destroyed and on one occasion one of the locks was literally ripped
off. If you ship it make sure you use a hard plastic shipping
container made for bikes. It averaged about $60 one way to ship it from
Maryland to
Sedona, AZ and about the same from Maryland to Steamboat Springs, CO.

I shipped to bike shops in both locations.

Marty

Old June 17th 06, 01:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Chris Glidden wrote:
I'm heading up the the panhandle of ID in a couple weeks (Sandpoint)
and am a quandry. I hate to trust UPS or FedEX with my baby BUT
having a toddler an infant and an overpacking wife in my company
makes it kind of difficult logistically to get everything to and from
everywhere we are going.

Ship the kid and wife and buy two plane seats for the bike.

Problem solved; off you go.

eg

Bill "don't forget to punch air holes" S.

Old June 17th 06, 02:02 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Sorni wrote:
Chris Glidden wrote:
I'm heading up the the panhandle of ID in a couple weeks (Sandpoint)
and am a quandry. I hate to trust UPS or FedEX with my baby BUT
having a toddler an infant and an overpacking wife in my company
makes it kind of difficult logistically to get everything to and from
everywhere we are going.

Ship the kid and wife and buy two plane seats for the bike.

Problem solved; off you go.

eg

Bill "don't forget to punch air holes" S.

I like! Bwahahahaha!!!

Old June 17th 06, 05:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Sorni" wrote in message
Chris Glidden wrote:
I'm heading up the the panhandle of ID in a couple weeks (Sandpoint)
and am a quandry. I hate to trust UPS or FedEX with my baby BUT
having a toddler an infant and an overpacking wife in my company
makes it kind of difficult logistically to get everything to and from
everywhere we are going.

Ship the kid and wife and buy two plane seats for the bike.

Problem solved; off you go.

eg

Bill "don't forget to punch air holes" S.

Now why didn't I think of that??? Where the hell are my priorities these
days?

Old June 19th 06, 02:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Chris Glidden" wrote in message
I have
flown with bikes previously (love the bag Carla) and it is difficult just
with my own personal gear without having to worry about car seats,
strollers, etc. Any advice, warnings shipping?

Hahahaha, the bike bag is still going strong! I have flown with bikes and
also shipped them. I have been extremely lucky to have not had any damaged
bikes in either case. Carrying the bike on the airplane is a pain in the
arse, that's for sure, especially when you have your other luggage, plus
children, etc. I have done it a few times and I am at the point where I
don't think I will do it again. Plus, the airline charges you and arm and a
leg. My preference is FedEx. As long as you pack and secure your bike like
Fort Knox, then everything should be fine. I have received boxes back from
shipping from another location and have received the actual boxes beaten to
hell and chunks missing, but the bike was in perfect condition. Its all
about how you pack and secure it inside the box.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old June 19th 06, 11:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Chris Glidden" wrote in message

I'll only be able to get a day or two of riding in as this is a family

vaca,
and my much beloved wife just doesn't "understand". You would think she
would understand as I was riding 2-3 times a week when we met. It's all
good.

If you think you'll only have time to ride a day or two just bring pedals,
your gear, and rent.

Greg

Old June 20th 06, 02:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"G.T." wrote in message
If you think you'll only have time to ride a day or two just bring pedals,
your gear, and rent.

That's what we have decided to do from now on. Its just too time consuming
packing the bike and making sure everything is perfect.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!