Flying with vs. shipping...

Old June 20th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Flying with vs. shipping...

"G.T." wrote in message

"Chris Glidden" wrote in message

I'll only be able to get a day or two of riding in as this is a family

vaca,
and my much beloved wife just doesn't "understand". You would think she
would understand as I was riding 2-3 times a week when we met. It's all
good.

If you think you'll only have time to ride a day or two just bring pedals,
your gear, and rent.

Greg

That was my first choice, however there is only one LBS in town that rents
and they are cruisers. You can rent some nice bikes at the resort
(Schweizer) but they won't let you take them off the property. None of the
rides that I want to do are within the resort so that leaves that out.

CG

Old June 20th 06, 09:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...

G.T. wrote:
"Chris Glidden" wrote in message

I'll only be able to get a day or two of riding in as this is a family

vaca,
and my much beloved wife just doesn't "understand". You would think
she
would understand as I was riding 2-3 times a week when we met. It's
all
good.

If you think you'll only have time to ride a day or two just bring
pedals,
your gear, and rent.

Greg

It's not the bike, it's the rider.

JD

Indeed, I just don't see myself doing long climbs and technical descents on
a 35+lb single speed beach cruiser. I suppose I could, but I just don't
want to. If I could rent something somewhat decent that would definitely be
the way to go.

CG

Old June 21st 06, 06:12 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Based on Rides-a-lot's suggestion, I will ship my bike to my next
destination. Between the extra $75+ airlines charge for the
"oversized" luggage and the way the TSA molested my bike on previous
journeys, I'm going to opt for FedEx for my trip to Oregon in August
and Sedona trip in the Oct. Door to door delivery, less money. BUT,
like previous posters, I do recommend a Trico or similar bike designed
box.

Enjoy mtbike travel more when the travel you feel is YOUR bike, not a
rental.

Chip just up for air, going back in............