[Kinda Off-Topic] What gets your healthier? Cycling or Running?

Old March 1st 07, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

Default [Kinda Off-Topic] What gets your healthier? Cycling or Running?

In ,
bugbear tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

I prefer cycling because it's a form of exercise
that's a form of transport.

Pretty unique in that regard.

It's either unique or it isn't. Grr!
/retired_colonel_writing_stroppy_letter_to_BBC

Pretty difficult to swim to the shops,

ISTR about five years ago, people were having to swim round the Circle Line
due to flooding. Free towels at Kings Cross ;-)

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old March 1st 07, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin

"Dave Larrington" writes:

In ,
bugbear tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

I prefer cycling because it's a form of exercise
that's a form of transport.

Pretty unique in that regard.

It's either unique or it isn't. Grr!

"pretty unique" is nothing. I once listened to a salesman claim that
the product he was punting was "almost totally unique" :/
Old March 1st 07, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sofa - Spud

Default What gets your healthier? Cycling or Running?

On 28 Feb, 14:35, Tony Raven wrote:
wrote on 28/02/2007 14:26 +0100:

Same as the topic really. I prefer cycling to running anyhoo.

I know of very few runners who don't get joint problems as they get
older whereas I know cyclists whose joint problems have improved with
cycling.

Not so - I ran a 10 mile race - The Trentham 10 , and it was also an
area veterans championship. I felt like a youngster at 41 . Those
gnarly vets wiped the floor with me and I managed 1:23 over the
shattering hilly course .

Old March 1st 07, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe

pppeterrr wrote:
"Roger Thorpe" ld.co.uk
wrote in message ...

Dennis Davis wrote:

In the referenced article, bugbear
writes:

naked_draughtsman wrote:

wrote in message
glegroups.com...

Same as the topic really. I prefer cycling to running anyhoo.

I think it depends what you mean by healthier. People always say
cycling is excellent for burning calories but at the local gym
the readouts on the machines say that cycling burns the least
calories per hour! (Rowing ~ 700 cal/hr, running ~ 800 cal/hr?,
cycling ~ 300 cal/hr).

I prefer cycling because it's a form of exercise
that's a form of transport.

Pretty unique in that regard.

Quite. To quote one of the contributers to this forum:

Cycling is unique in the way it can incidentally provide good
exercise while being justified by its quotidian utility.
-- Chris Malcolm

And the pleasure,
The sensual thrill of speed, of being out in the weather, in the
countryside, with a well fitting, well adjusted machine..
When people offer you a lift out of pity they really have no idea of how
satisfying riding through rain or hail can be.

There's nothing like walking into the office and casually mentioning that I
did a 100 mile ride on the Sunday. However, I usually neglect to tell people
that it may of included a fry up for breakfast, sunday lunch, afternoon tea
and sometimes a pint at the end of it. So whilst it's a lot of healthy
exercise, I'm not sure it's healthier!
Peter

Indeed, it was only after scarfing two plain chocolate kitkats on my
last weekend run that I noticed the energy content printed on the wrapper.
Oh dear!

--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!
Old March 1st 07, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mary Ann

On 28 Feb, 14:26, wrote:
Same as the topic really. I prefer cycling to running anyhoo.

Thanks.

You ask "what gets you...." implying that you're interesting in
becoming healthier rather than maintaining health.

I think it would be pretty hard to measure as you'd have to find
someone who enjoyed both activities to the same degree, didn't already
have a condition which prevented them doing either actitivity to the
same degree, then measure their basal health level (however you might
define that), have them do cycling at a certain level (however you
might define that), then measure their health level again, wait until
it gets back to what it was before starting the cycling regime, then
do it again with a running regime. You'd have to make sure they ate
the same during each exercise period, got the same sleep etc, had the
same stresses etc. Pretty hard to do.

In general, I'd say the sport you prefer to do is going to keep you
healthier. It's not just about physical health, but emotional health
aswell.

I'm a runner by the way...sneaked over from rec.running :-)

Mary Ann

Old March 1st 07, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ambrose Nankivell

pppeterrr wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message
naked_draughtsman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Same as the topic really. I prefer cycling to running anyhoo.
I think it depends what you mean by healthier. People always say cycling
is excellent for burning calories but at the local gym the readouts on
the machines say that cycling burns the least calories per hour! (Rowing
~ 700 cal/hr, running ~ 800 cal/hr?, cycling ~ 300 cal/hr).

I prefer cycling because it's a form of exercise
that's a form of transport.

Like walking...?

Walking's not exercise, it's just a process where you move your legs a
bit at a fixed and low intensity.

Cycling can be done at whatever intensity you want, which is nice.

Old March 1st 07, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

iarocu wrote on 28/02/2007 16:19 +0100:

Depends on the distance to work I suppose. I'm currently a 5 miles
each way commute. Too short for a good workout on a bike but a good
distance to run (now and again not every day). The bike is certainly
far more flexible with regard to what distances are feasible to
commute.
Iain

I have a colleague who runs the five miles each way every day

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old March 1st 07, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Paul Rudin wrote on 28/02/2007 19:26 +0100:
Simon Brooke writes:

Also, of course, the impacts in running will eventually do for your
hips and knees.

AFAIK there's no credible evidence that this is so. Do you have an
authoritative source for this claim?

For starters just a handful of papers picked at random.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...ubmed_docsu m
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=1553455
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Citation

Old March 1st 07, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Walking's not exercise, it's just a process where you move your legs a
bit at a fixed and low intensity.

You've obviously been fit for far too long. I can still pop into town at a
brisk walk and know I've done some exercise (not a lot, I grant you).