Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

Old February 25th 04, 10:22 PM
Ken in KC

Default LOL, Dan!

"Dan Volker" wrote in message ...
"Ken in KC" wrote in message
om...
"I don't know Greg, maybe the gene pool you ride in is defective, or
you
really don't know what a "variety of terrain means".
Gears make a bike go faster in varried terrain. If a single speed bike
was
really competitive with multi-geared bikes in varied terrain , then
the Tour
de France would be ridden by a few guys on SS's....clue to Greg, it
will
never happen."

Actually, it already has happened. Several times.

If it happened decades ago, there used to be huge differences in fitness
between the riders--today, due to much more effective training, you are not
going to find a rider that is so strong that they can afford to handicap
themsleves on the Tour with a single speed bike ( even if this could work
for someone in the 30's or 40's, or even in Merckx's day.

But you said it never will happen. I contend that it already has.

Your arguments are based on the Green Eggs and Ham Principal. Its
funny, in a sad sort of way.

You seem intent on defending your opinion, despite the fact that you
openly admit you don't know much or anything about singlespeeds. J.D.
rides every day in Fruita/Grand Junction Colorado on a SS, yet you
discount his opinion based on what you "think" is true. And what you
think is true is based on the admittedly ignorant opinion you have on
singlespeeds, you seem to me running around on a big mobius strip of
logic.

My insistence is based largely on the idea that riding a rigid single speed
would be "less fun" for me, since I see the whole "purest" nonsense you guys
are spouting off about, is a bunch of ego crap for little wimpy guys with
big mouths.

I don't, never have and never will claim that riding a SS is more
pure, or has anything to do with how I view you and whatever you dig
about mountain biking. I ride a SS because that's the type of bike I
prefer to ride. I've ridden everything from a superlight hardtail XC
race bike to a Bullit (which I sold when I started jumping off stuff
that was taller than I was). I still have the XC geared bike. It's
my #3 bike, my loaner. The one I give to people just getting in to
the sport to ride. It's a great bike but I simply prefer riding a
SS. BTW: I don't care what bike you ride. I don't care what bike my
friends ride. I don't care what type of bike the pro racers ride.

You still haven't answered those people who presented pro riders who
prefer SSing. Why not? They don't support your baseless opinion so
therefor you can't address them?

It's not going to be as much fun for a bigger rider, and if you can't
figure out why, strap 50 pounds of weight into a backpack, and go out on
your rigid SS bike and pretend you are a muscular rider who weighs 210
pounds.
Your ride will suck, and then you should understand what's wrong with your
logic.

That's funny, if I pretended that I weighed a muscular 210 pounds, I
would actually drop 15 pounds. If I strapped a 50 pound weight on my
back, that would put me at 275 pounds. And yet, every ride I go on is
a great one for some reason or another. I can't recall one ride that
I've ever been on that sucked.

So why exactly will my ride suck if I drop 15 pounds? I don't get it?
Incidentally, the many of the trails in Fruita are great on a SS.
Slickrock in Moab is also fun on a SS. In fact, every trail I've ever
ridden is fun on a SS. I raced at the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo on a SS
and it still seemed fun, yet you seem to think that I think that they
would suck. You can't be talking out of your ass with no foundation
for your assumptions, can you?
Old February 26th 04, 01:18 AM
Dan Volker

Default Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

"bomba" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:33:35 -0500, Dan Volker wrote:

By Usenet standards, this is a fluffy playground of loveliness. The people
here are pretty honest and I'm pretty sure if you said the things you
did to the regs over a beer, most would respond in the same way.

If I was talking to someone over a beer, and they said they just rode their
SS bike one of the trails I know to be particularly technical, and did it at
a good pace, I'd be saying -- "Wow, that's impressive..I've got to ride with
you some time so I can see this! "... And there would have been none of the
posturing and crap that I had to wade through on this NG--typical NG "tough
talk" , that the talkers NEVER talk like in real life, but love to behind
their keyboards, given the chance.

What do you say we just drop this whole thread.
I will be making a big effort to find some good SS riders, and see what
these guys can do on trails in Ocala and in the Smoky Mountains. And like I
said, I will be getting out West in mid summer, and I will make a point of
finding some good single speed riders to go out on a trail with when I get
out there. When I have seen this all first hand, I'll post on SS's again.
Until then, I don't think I'll have much to say about SS bikes.

Dan V

Old February 26th 04, 01:49 AM
p e t e f a g e r l i n

"Dan Volker" wrote in message
Until then, I don't think I'll have much to say about SS bikes.

Hey crybaby, that's the first intelligent thing that you've had to say in
the NG.

Congrats!

Old February 26th 04, 02:10 AM
BB

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:49:57 GMT, p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:

"Dan Volker" wrote in message
Until then, I don't think I'll have much to say about SS bikes.

Hey crybaby, that's the first intelligent thing that you've had to say in
the NG.

For someone who doesn't have much to say about SS bikes, its kind of odd
that he only participates in threads about SS bikes.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old February 26th 04, 02:13 AM
Stephen Baker

Dan V says:

snip

And there would have been none of the
posturing and crap that I had to wade through on this NG--typical NG "tough
talk" , that the talkers NEVER talk like in real life, but love to behind
their keyboards, given the chance.

The big fact that you are missing here, Dan, is that a great many of the
"regulars" here actually know each other (yeah, like, in person, face to face)
and ride together on a very regular basis. THey're not saying "The Freak is
fast" becuase The Freak says he is, but because he has whooped their asses on
the SS, real-time.

What do you say we just drop this whole thread.

Why? It's just getting fun....

Steve
Old February 26th 04, 05:36 PM
JD

"Dan Volker" wrote in message . ..
When I have seen this all first hand, I'll post on SS's again.
Until then, I don't think I'll have much to say about SS bikes.

All of that after sticking your foot into your mouth all of the way to
your hip. Please, feel free to finish swallowing yourself whole.

JD
Old February 26th 04, 05:50 PM
JD

Default Wow!

"Dan Volker" wrote in message ...
My insistence is based largely on the idea that riding a rigid single speed
would be "less fun" for me, since I see the whole "purest" nonsense you guys
are spouting off about, is a bunch of ego crap for little wimpy guys with
big mouths.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you're hilarious.

It's not going to be as much fun for a bigger rider, and if you can't
figure out why, strap 50 pounds of weight into a backpack, and go out on
your rigid SS bike and pretend you are a muscular rider who weighs 210
pounds.
Your ride will suck, and then you should understand what's wrong with your
logic.

So, now you're telling me that all of my rides on a rigid singlespeed
bike suck? I weigh 225 lbs, so does that mean it'll suck more than if
I weighed 210 lbs? What about this that you wrote above?:

My insistence is based largely on the idea that riding a rigid single speed
would be "less fun" for me

What I know is based on experience riding mountain bikes, not "logic".
If I wanted "logic", I'd be a huge fan of Mr Spock and addicted to
old Star Trek reruns. What you are basing your "logic" on is
obviously due to lack of experience.

Now I am off once again to have yet another slow, fat and sucky ride
on my oh-so-inefficient singlespeed.

JD "little wimpy guy"
Old February 26th 04, 06:37 PM
Dan Volker

"JD" wrote in message
m...
"Dan Volker" wrote in message

. ..
When I have seen this all first hand, I'll post on SS's again.
Until then, I don't think I'll have much to say about SS bikes.

All of that after sticking your foot into your mouth all of the way to
your hip. Please, feel free to finish swallowing yourself whole.

JD

We will see about that....when I ride out west this summer, either I'll be
eating crow, or I'll be separating what is technical by your standards, from
what is technical by S. Florida standards...Since South Florida has very
little elevation change, trails are built with "gratuitously technical"
obstacles throughout, they are narrow and twisty, covered by a type of
palmetto root I doubt you guys can imagine, and these challenges are what we
have to substitute for hills/mountains. In other words, if your trails are
a huge technical challenge for me on my dual sus bike, and the SS riders are
blowing by me on them, I'll be making some major apologies.
If they ride at about the same speed as I do through all the obstacles I
consider technical, I'll be doing some major apologizing.
If the ss riders can't keep up with me at all, then you guys will have some
apologizing to do :-)

Dan V

Old February 26th 04, 06:54 PM
Penny S

Dan Volker stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen :
"JD" wrote in message
m...
"Dan Volker" wrote in message

. ..
When I have seen this all first hand, I'll post on SS's again.
Until then, I don't think I'll have much to say about SS bikes.

All of that after sticking your foot into your mouth all of the way
to your hip. Please, feel free to finish swallowing yourself whole.

JD

We will see about that....when I ride out west this summer, either
I'll be eating crow, or I'll be separating what is technical by your
standards, from what is technical by S. Florida standards...

Where exactly out west... it's pretty big out here, and "west" could be
anything.......

penny

Old February 26th 04, 07:08 PM
Dan Volker

"Penny S" wrote in message
Dan Volker stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen :
"JD" wrote in message
m...
"Dan Volker" wrote in message

. ..
When I have seen this all first hand, I'll post on SS's again.
Until then, I don't think I'll have much to say about SS bikes.

All of that after sticking your foot into your mouth all of the way
to your hip. Please, feel free to finish swallowing yourself whole.

JD

We will see about that....when I ride out west this summer, either
I'll be eating crow, or I'll be separating what is technical by your
standards, from what is technical by S. Florida standards...

Where exactly out west... it's pretty big out here, and "west" could be
anything.......

penny

Some friends I ride with in Ocala are moving to the side of Las Vegas that
has good mountain biking. My girlfriend and I will be visiting them for at
least a week by mid summer. The idea will be to mountain bike each day, and
I can imagine going as far as Sedona---but I don't really know what the most
worthwhile trips from there would be yet...
Any suggestions ?

Regards,
Dan v