What's a "Skidiot?"

Old October 3rd 05, 07:06 AM
x1134x

Default What's a "Skidiot?"

I think I might be one w/out even knowing it. where is a list of
mountain biker "ethics" or "do's and don'ts" so that I can know which
ones I may be and which ones I just don't give a flying Vandeman about.
.. . .

Old October 3rd 05, 01:33 PM
pauly

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:06:13 -0700, x1134x wrote
(in article . com):

I think I might be one w/out even knowing it. where is a list of
mountain biker "ethics" or "do's and don'ts" so that I can know which
ones I may be and which ones I just don't give a flying Vandeman about.
. . .

An idiot who can't/won't control his brakes and ruins the trails by skidding
around turns and down steep sections

Paul

Old October 3rd 05, 02:29 PM
Dave Dowler

ups.com...

http://www.imba.com/about/trail_rules.html

Old October 3rd 05, 04:48 PM
Shawn

x1134x wrote:
I think I might be one w/out even knowing it. where is a list of
mountain biker "ethics" or "do's and don'ts" so that I can know which
ones I may be and which ones I just don't give a flying Vandeman about.
. . .

A skidiot is someone who thinks the front brake will "throw me over the
bars". Relying solely on the comparatively weak back brake, s/he/it
ends up skidding constantly in a vain, marginally controlled attempt to
maintain a safe speed down hills and around corners. This person is
annoying to ride with (and soon lectured by me and others) and
frightening to be seen coming down a steep descent toward you.
Alternatively, its a young male rider who can control his bike fine, but
loves locking up the rear wheel and crossing the bike up at every
chance. This person is just an immature doof.
Both types are hazards on the trail and cause considerable trail damage.
I truly hope you're neither, but if your the first form, get out and
start experimenting with your front brake. It's phenomenally powerful.
With practice you'll find it even works better on sketchy, loose steep
descents...with practice!
If you're the latter, you'll need to grow up. Just hope you don't run
across JD on the trail before you do.

Shawn
Old October 3rd 05, 05:01 PM
MattB

Shawn wrote:
x1134x wrote:

[...]

Very good summary! Spot on.
The second type of skidiot is almost always sure to have one of those
silly "No Fear" or "Tough Guy Club" stickers on their vehicle too. That
makes them easy to spot at trailheads.

Matt
Old October 3rd 05, 05:09 PM
small change

MattB wrote:
about. . . .

Very good summary! Spot on.
The second type of skidiot is almost always sure to have one of those
silly "No Fear" or "Tough Guy Club" stickers on their vehicle too.
That makes them easy to spot at trailheads.

Matt

some people skid out of ignorance or lack of skill, it's not always a matter
of attitude.

Penny

Old October 3rd 05, 05:25 PM
TJ

"MattB" wrote in message
Shawn wrote:
x1134x wrote:

[...]

ROTFLMAO They are the ones that also have a hat on backwards.

TJ

Old October 3rd 05, 06:00 PM
MattB

small change wrote:
MattB wrote:
about. . . .

Very good summary! Spot on.
The second type of skidiot is almost always sure to have one of those
silly "No Fear" or "Tough Guy Club" stickers on their vehicle too.
That makes them easy to spot at trailheads.

Matt

some people skid out of ignorance or lack of skill, it's not always a matter
of attitude.

Penny

Right. That's why I singled out the second group Shawn described for my
jab. He had already divided them into groups, the second of which has
the skills not to skid but does it anyway.

Matt
Old October 3rd 05, 06:50 PM
Craig Brossman

TJ wrote:
Very good summary! Spot on.
The second type of skidiot is almost always sure to have one of those
silly "No Fear" or "Tough Guy Club" stickers on their vehicle too. That
makes them easy to spot at trailheads.

Matt

ROTFLMAO They are the ones that also have a hat on backwards.

TJ

I have probably posted this before, but a good friend of mine states:
"Wearing your hat backwards is the international sign for 'you'll never
take orders from me'".

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.
Old October 3rd 05, 07:04 PM
x1134x

HMM. . . it appears as though I qualify. I *DO* wear my hat backwards.
.. . . but hey! I don't want it to get blown off by the wind and have to

I set my brakes up VERY well, and yes the back one *WILL* lock up, if I
really reef on it, but the front one won't (because I don't want to go
over the handlebars, but it still grips well, and i can go from approx
25 mph, to slow enough to pass a family and their baby stroller safely
quite quickly without locking them up. I usually use both breaks
always.

I was envisioning a SKIDIOT to be someone who loses control of their
bike and it goes SKIDDING down the hill withouth them. (I've witnessed
a few of those in my few outings)

PS Hey paladin, I can make it to table rock's summit w/out stopping on
my BSO now! AND I found a shortcut from the penitentary to table rock
road.