The University of Aalborg Study on Daytime Flashing Lights forBicycles.

Old March 23rd 17, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default The University of Aalborg Study on Daytime Flashing Lights forBicycles.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 20:48:40 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/22/2017 8:38 PM, John B. wrote:

Years ago I found a book in a used book shop that purported to be a
study on Thai social customs. It was quite obviously someone's
dissertation, although hopefully not for a PhD degree.

The author had never visited Thailand prior to the survey. He could
not speak the language and depended on a translator. He knew nothing
about the Buddhist religion as practiced in Thailand and the village
he surveyed had been used in a number of previous surveys.

He asked questions such as "If someone steals your water buffalo what
would you do?" The answer he used in his analysis was, "Nothing. The
thief probably needs it more that I do."

Another question was, "If you discovered that your wife was sleeping
with another man what would you do?" The answer, "I would forgive
her."

Now based on Buddhist morality these are nearly perfect answers but
based on the years I have lived in the country the real answers would
have been:

"I would get my shotgun and shoot that thieving SOB" and "I'd beat
her until she couldn't walk and take her back to her mother and get
the Sin Sod (bride price) back."

As the dissertation was published it is probable that it was
acceptable to the school but I've always wondered what sort of a
grade it resulted in?

(As an aside, I also wonder how much of U.S. foreign policy is based
on similar information :-) -- Cheers,

John B.

Easy question. All of it, of course.

LOL. Wait...

And much of our domestic policies are also based on assumptions and
beliefs that have little to nothing to do with reality.
Old March 23rd 17, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 19:58:35 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 08:49:51 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 09:38:05 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 14:34:03 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I think he had a six cell mag-light clamped on his
bike, but as I didn't stop to talk with him I can't be sure. But it
sure was bright.

But I don't see six cell mag-lights being suggested for bicycles :-)

No problem:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/bicycle-flashlight.html

But that is a tiny little 4 cell light. Get the Real Man's 6 cell and
see how that works :-)

The 4D Maglite was all that I had available at the time. I would
probably have used a 6D Maglite, but all of mine need some work.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/maglites.jpg
I'll probably end up donating these to a local thrift shop. There
were several large Maglites at their store available for sale for $6
and $8 that sat around without buyers for about 2 months. I got the
clue. Nobody wants them, even with the LED bulb conversion.

Not on a 3 or 4 thousand dollar, super light, carbon bicycle anyway
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 23rd 17, 09:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 12:31:03 +0700, John B.
wrote:

The 4D Maglite was all that I had available at the time. I would
probably have used a 6D Maglite, but all of mine need some work.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/maglites.jpg
I'll probably end up donating these to a local thrift shop. There
were several large Maglites at their store available for sale for $6
and $8 that sat around without buyers for about 2 months. I got the
clue. Nobody wants them, even with the LED bulb conversion.

Not on a 3 or 4 thousand dollar, super light, carbon bicycle anyway
:-)

I was wondering if anyone made a carbon fiber (CF) bicycle light for
such machines:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=carbon+fiber+bicycle+light
Apparently, nobody does. So, I asked myself why not? My best
guess(tm) is that CF bicycle riders are into saving every milligram of
weight. The added weight of ANY bicycle light or similar accessory,
would be seen as heresy by those practicing the religion of building
and riding ultra-light bicycles.

Drivel:
2AM and still waiting for my Samsung S6 phone to reload everything
from cloud after a failed update to 6.0.1. I can barely think, but
that won't stop me from writing.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 23rd 17, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

You are getting into the realm of the Weight Weenies. The weight
everything and then drill holes in it crowd. Funny thing it was nearly
a religion and now they tell you that just because your wheels are
heavier then ever if they are streamlined they say they are better.

Drivel:
2AM and still waiting for my Samsung S6 phone to reload everything
from cloud after a failed update to 6.0.1. I can barely think, but
that won't stop me from writing.

I just bought a new phone, Samsung J2 with 6.0.1. I do not find the
latest Android to be that wonderful. they seem to have stream-lined it
to the point that you can't accomplish what you want to do.

I usually backup my "contacts" list to my gmail account. With 6.0 I
can't figure out how that is done and if you disable the Facebook App
the phone stops working :-( When you try to turn it on it pops up a
warning "Facebook has stopped" and goes no further.

It demonstrates the deterioration of modern America. Kids used to be
able to buy a "Chemistry Set" that contained enough stuff to make
nitro glycerin. Now you can't buy a telephone that you can control :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 23rd 17, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/22/2017 10:37 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
[...]

+1
On this we can agree.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 23rd 17, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Our common expression is, "They improved it until it didn't
work."

Nitro glycerin? You had some deluxe version I suppose. We
could only manage nitrogen triiodide.

Old March 24th 17, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Nope, nitro-glycerin although we had to get the glycerin from my
mate's mom's kitchen.

We did our experiments in the cellar under his home and we poured the
results into used 30-06 cartridge cases put them in our pockets and
bicycled out to an unused quarry and threw them against rocks. And!
One actually exploded.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 24th 17, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 19:20:50 +0700, John B.
wrote:

You are getting into the realm of the Weight Weenies. The weight
everything and then drill holes in it crowd. Funny thing it was nearly
a religion and now they tell you that just because your wheels are
heavier then ever if they are streamlined they say they are better.

I'm just trying to deduce or guess why there are no CF bicycle lights.
I can get most everything else in CF but not lights. If the industry
can produce CF water bottle cages, helmets, and bicycle pumps, why not
lights?

I just bought a new phone, Samsung J2 with 6.0.1. I do not find the
latest Android to be that wonderful. they seem to have stream-lined it
to the point that you can't accomplish what you want to do.

We shall soon see. I've noticed some things missing but also some
useful stuff added. It's difficult to tell at this point if I have a
winner or a pile of bugs.

I usually backup my "contacts" list to my gmail account. With 6.0 I
can't figure out how that is done and if you disable the Facebook App
the phone stops working :-( When you try to turn it on it pops up a
warning "Facebook has stopped" and goes no further.

Ummm, try Google Takeout:
https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3024190
I just ran it and downloaded 123MBytes of compress whatever. It's a
bit on the large side because I have some Google music and videos
tossed into the mix. It seems to get everything. In the past, it
would show the size of each archive before downloading. Now, you have
to download before it offers any useful numbers. However, after
midnight, things never go smoothly. I forgot about takeout and didn't
run it before last nights upgrade. I lost all my downloaded maps. Oh
well.

It demonstrates the deterioration of modern America. Kids used to be
able to buy a "Chemistry Set" that contained enough stuff to make
nitro glycerin. Now you can't buy a telephone that you can control :-)

Well, there's some truth to that. When I took High Skool chemistry in
the early 1960's, there was everything needed to fabricate a small
bomb factory. I waited until college before actually doing that.
Today, students get colored liquids instead of chemicals, which are
useless for making anything really dangerous. Learn By Destroying is
a thing of the past.

Hint: I still carry an old LG VX8300 dumb cell phone for making phone
calls. The battery lasts several days. It's totally reliable and has
much better range than my various smartphones. The smartphone acts as
a PDA (personal digital accomplice) where the phone section is not
activated. 5 cents per minute (about $15/month) for the voice only
plan. Cheep.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 24th 17, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

We didn't have a chemistry kit (remind you someday to tell you the heartbreaking story of how I walked the 300 miles to my first university to take up my scholarship, my boots around my neck to save the soles) but there were always sticks of dynamite lying around, left over from blowing holes in the mountain to hide the still from the revenuers. You take a frying pan and put it over the fire. Place the stick of dynamite in the pan. It's quite safe. Drops of jelly will sweat out of the dynamite. That's nitro. It's not safe. Brush the drops of jelly carefully into a bottle, holding the bottle sideways so the drops don't splash too hard. When you have enough in the bottle, stand well back and throw the bottle against a tree, then run like hell, because the top of that tree is coming for you. Or, if you're hungry, or alligators are bothering you, lower the bottle carefully into the water of a river or a lake or even a swamp, and from well back throw in a rock, then collect dead fish and alligators. -- AJ
Old March 24th 17, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

You are getting into the realm of the Weight Weenies. The weight
everything and then drill holes in it crowd. Funny thing it was nearly
a religion and now they tell you that just because your wheels are
heavier then ever if they are streamlined they say they are better.

I'm just trying to deduce or guess why there are no CF bicycle lights.
I can get most everything else in CF but not lights. If the industry
can produce CF water bottle cages, helmets, and bicycle pumps, why not
lights?

I suspect it is that thing called "demand". Practically every bike I
see has a bottle cage on it and far less often do I see a light.

But I suspect that with a intensive SAFEYTY! program it might be
possible to change that.

[...]

Calcium Carbide is also quite useful as a fishing tool. A screw top
bottle or can, a bit of calcium carbide and a rock. Put the rock and
the carbide in the bottle/can, add the cap, after punching a tiny nail
hole in it, and drop in the lake. After a few minutes fish will start
to float by. Belly up.

Hint: I still carry an old LG VX8300 dumb cell phone for making phone
calls. The battery lasts several days. It's totally reliable and has
much better range than my various smartphones. The smartphone acts as
a PDA (personal digital accomplice) where the phone section is not
activated. 5 cents per minute (about $15/month) for the voice only
plan. Cheep.

We have a "pre-paid" option here where you buy a prepaid sim card
which can then be "topped up" when the money runs out. For a call only
system it is much cheaper than any "plan". Calls are in the 1 - 2
baht/minute ( say 3 - 5 cents).

Years ago I, when I bought my first "hand phone" I had a plan and
every month made my ritual visit to the phone office to pay my bill.
Sometime later my wife decided that if I had a phone she should have a
phone also so I bought her a phone "just like mine", but being a
cautious chap I didn't enter into any contract agreement for her
phone, I just bought a prepaid sim and some top up cards.

At the end of the month it became painfully obvious that although she
talked a lot more than I did that her "bill" was noticeably cheaper
than mine :-(

When I went to the phone company and cancelled my account the nice
young lady there asked me if I minded telling her why I wanted to
cancel my account and I related my little story. She smiled and
replied, "Yes, some people do notice"

Currently I am looking for a small talk only phone. I can buy a brand
new phone for about $20 but I really want one of the tiny phones like
Nokia used to sell. Remember when phones used to be advertised as
small and petite?

--
Cheers,

John B.