A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

105-year old sets new record



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old January 11th 17, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,011
Default 105-year old sets new record

Baseball cap...tape on yellow shooters from Yorktown

This demand's market review



http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/coatings.htm

When was the last you checked on Devo ?
Ads
  #52  
Old January 11th 17, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,790
Default 105-year old sets new record

Per Radey Shouman:
Excellent advice -- that I won't follow, having got by so far without
ever intentionally sticking in my eye.


There is a downside that I neglected to mention: every so often, I can't
get a contact out of my eye. Sometimes because I took a wave in the
face and it rolled up, other times because it tore upon attempted
removal and the pieces became impossible to get at, and other times just
because it does not want to come out.

Not such a problem if you can get to somebody for assistance.

Definitely a problem (and, for me, a shoe-stopper) if you are alone out
in the middle of nowhere..... but I'm never out in the middle of
nowhere.
--
Pete Cresswell
  #53  
Old January 11th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 248
Default 105-year old sets new record

Doug Landau considered Tue, 10 Jan 2017
09:03:53 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 6:04:39 AM UTC-8, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per John B.:
both my grandfathers died that way. Got up in the morning, ate a good
lunch, laid down for a bit of a nap after lunch and never woke up.

My daughter's German uncle died about as well as I can imagine. Early
nineties, similar scenario: drank one last beer, closed his eyes, and
the lights went out for good.


That's how I want to die. Peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandpa. Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone came out with that
one
  #54  
Old January 12th 17, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,945
Default 105-year old sets new record

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:01:19 +0700, John B
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 10:01:27 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Phil Lee:
The fit ones tend to go downhill fast, once they drop off the fitness
level they are accustomed to maintaining. My grandfather went from
running a minimum of 5 miles every morning, rain, shine, sleet, snow
or fog, to his grave in about 18 months after breaking his hip badly.


A book on aging that I read a bunch of years ago described "Normal
Death" as being pretty much that: good functionality right up to a few
months from the end, then rapid deterioration and death.

The book said that it has become more-and-more common and will
increase in frequency as people learn to and are able to take proper
care of themselves.


both my grandfathers died that way. Got up in the morning, ate a good
lunch, laid down for a bit of a nap after lunch and never woke up.

I'm not eager to join them but it is probably as good a way to go as
any.


Better than many ways to go.

Bumper sticker wisdom: "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers."
  #55  
Old January 12th 17, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,945
Default 105-year old sets new record

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 09:03:53 -0800 (PST), Doug Landau
wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 6:04:39 AM UTC-8, (PeteCresswell)
wrote:
Per John B.:
both my grandfathers died that way. Got up in the morning, ate a
good lunch, laid down for a bit of a nap after lunch and never woke
up.

My daughter's German uncle died about as well as I can imagine. Early
nineties, similar scenario: drank one last beer, closed his eyes, and
the lights went out for good.


That's how I want to die. Peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandpa.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car.


Ah, ya beat me to it. Too bad I didn't see this before my post...
  #56  
Old January 12th 17, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,424
Default 105-year old sets new record

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 4:02:09 PM UTC-8, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:01:19 +0700, John B
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 10:01:27 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Phil Lee:
The fit ones tend to go downhill fast, once they drop off the fitness
level they are accustomed to maintaining. My grandfather went from
running a minimum of 5 miles every morning, rain, shine, sleet, snow
or fog, to his grave in about 18 months after breaking his hip badly.

A book on aging that I read a bunch of years ago described "Normal
Death" as being pretty much that: good functionality right up to a few
months from the end, then rapid deterioration and death.

The book said that it has become more-and-more common and will
increase in frequency as people learn to and are able to take proper
care of themselves.


both my grandfathers died that way. Got up in the morning, ate a good
lunch, laid down for a bit of a nap after lunch and never woke up.

I'm not eager to join them but it is probably as good a way to go as
any.


Better than many ways to go.

Bumper sticker wisdom: "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers."


Okay. Now tell me what you think about Ronnie Lang
  #57  
Old January 12th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,945
Default 105-year old sets new record

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 16:07:07 -0800 (PST), Doug Landau
wrote:
On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 4:02:09 PM UTC-8, Tim McNamara
wrote:

Bumper sticker wisdom: "I want to die in my sleep like my
grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."


Okay. Now tell me what you think about Ronnie Lang


The saxophonist with Hoagy Carmichael, Les Brown, etc.? (Jazz fan here)
  #58  
Old January 13th 17, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,424
Default 105-year old sets new record

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 3:59:27 PM UTC-8, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 16:07:07 -0800 (PST), Doug Landau
wrote:
On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 4:02:09 PM UTC-8, Tim McNamara
wrote:

Bumper sticker wisdom: "I want to die in my sleep like my
grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."


Okay. Now tell me what you think about Ronnie Lang


The saxophonist with Hoagy Carmichael, Les Brown, etc.? (Jazz fan here)


Oh wow. Ted Nash too. And here I thought he was an olympic rower and coach at Penn.
  #59  
Old January 13th 17, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,747
Default 105-year old sets new record

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per Radey Shouman:
Excellent advice -- that I won't follow, having got by so far without
ever intentionally sticking in my eye.


There is a downside that I neglected to mention: every so often, I can't
get a contact out of my eye. Sometimes because I took a wave in the
face and it rolled up, other times because it tore upon attempted
removal and the pieces became impossible to get at, and other times just
because it does not want to come out.

Not such a problem if you can get to somebody for assistance.

Definitely a problem (and, for me, a shoe-stopper) if you are alone out
in the middle of nowhere..... but I'm never out in the middle of
nowhere.


You have plainly missed your true calling as a salesman of contact
lenses. My attitudes were formed back in the dark days of expensive,
hard contact lenses. One of my first exposures to the idea was in a
scuba class, in a pool. A student lost a contact while practicing to
clear her mask. At that time I think a set of lenses cost more or less
what a pair of glasses did, so the whole class stationed themselves
around the drain until one sharp-eyed person snagged the contact lens on
it's way out.

--
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three sets of FIAC National Championships this year Ryan Cousineau Racing 3 May 20th 11 10:39 PM
Three sets of FIAC National Championships this year Les Earnest Racing 0 May 13th 11 09:23 PM
8 speed record cog sets new MCC2112 Marketplace 0 February 6th 05 10:32 PM
Lance sets hour speed record OnThaBeach Racing 11 October 22nd 03 04:45 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.