Hey this is not stupid

Old March 21st 18, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Hey this is not stupid

Clever design:

https://cyclingindustry.news/veercyc...to-the-masses/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 21st 18, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 12:48:57 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Clever design:
https://cyclingindustry.news/veercyc...to-the-masses/

I like it. Therefore, something must be wrong:

https://www.veercycle.com/products/belt-riveter
"A customized handheld riveter for Split Belt bike conversions.
This tool is required for sealing the belt splice. Easily clinch
the rivet ends to secure them permanently in the belt teeth."

Permanently? So, once I put the belt together with a $30 tool, I have
to grind off the pin heads in order to remove the belt?

How do I deal with different lengths of belt? The V shaped splice
means that belts need to be stock by loop length (or whatever it's
called). Or, maybe a belt tensioner and pulley as in the CAD
rendering:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1649/3971/files/Eagle_REsize_large.jpg?v=1520473135
The various parts of the drive train look rather customized, which
implies that the belt would require replacing almost all the moving
parts for a retrofit.

The V thing only solves half the problem by making it easy to
assemble. It does nothing for changing, replacing, or repairing the
belt.

As usual, no numbers, no test results, no photos of real bicycles, no
prices, no availability, and no claims that it will solve every
problem from pimples to global warming. As far as I can tell, this is
a concept design.

I still like the idea, just not as much as when I first saw it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 22nd 18, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/21/2018 5:23 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Yep, once I went deeper into the web page that was clear but
still it is not stupid. Not yet perfect maybe but cool in
its own way.

Old March 23rd 18, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Well, what is the service life expectancy of a belt drive? If it's
100,000 miles then you'd never need to remove it except in extraordinary
circumstances. In cars they last 80,000 miles or more under high
tension and much higher RPMs, not to mention heat. People are used to
1500-3000 miles from a chain, having to clean and lube it, etc. None of
that would be necessary for a belt drive. A bike chain is an adaptation
of a technology that's supposed to run in a clean oil bath, but puts it
out in the open where it's guaranteed to be contaminated and fail after
a short service life.

It takes a shift in thinking- sort of like when I switched from cup and
cone bearings to sealed bearing headset and Phil hubs on one of my bikes
in 1996. Still haven't had to service those nearly 22 years later. I
put in a sealed BB around 2000 and that's never needed to be serviced.
I lube the chain once in a while, replace the cables as needed-
otherwise I just ride the bike.

I used to enjoy the winter teardown and rebuild, but really with modern
technology that's no longer necessary. Even cup and cone hubs don't
need to be rebuilt every year.

The downside of belt drives, though, is that hus far they can't be used
with a derailleur system. Hub gears have yet to match the efficiency of
derailleur systems, although they are improved and offer wider and
better spaced gears. Even my old Sachs T3 is pretty smooth and doesn't
feel noticeably inefficient but the gear jumps are silly big. A belt
drive might be just fine on that bike.