Trek 2100 Carbon?

Old April 8th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Default Trek 2100 Carbon?

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate
Old April 8th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 8, 11:53*am, N8N wrote:
Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?

If you ride on sunny days with smooth roads and it fits--you'll have
plenty of fun with it. I personally wouldn't want to own just a gee
whiz fast bike as my only bike--but if it fits you and your needs, go
for it. Have a good look at the frame and fork before buying. Look for
deep scratches and cracks. If it's "well used", walk away.
Old April 8th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 8, 1:35*pm, landotter wrote:
On Apr 8, 11:53*am, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?

If you ride on sunny days with smooth roads and it fits--you'll have
plenty of fun with it. I personally wouldn't want to own just a gee
whiz fast bike as my only bike--but if it fits you and your needs, go
for it. Have a good look at the frame and fork before buying. Look for
deep scratches and cracks. If it's "well used", walk away.

Well, I *do* own a 20 year old Porsche as my "real" car, if that gives
you any kind of idea as to what makes my ears wiggle I even put
snow tires on it in the winter, which no doubt gives the "purists"
apoplectic fits.

nate
Old April 8th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 8, 12:53*pm, N8N wrote:
Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. *Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay
away from carbon frames and low spoke count wheels. I think you were
on the right track with a Surly, or maybe a JTS. Even the cross bike
your LBS tried to sell you... something other than carbon with wheels
that have few spokes. It's kinda like having an old lotus as a daily
driver. Sure, they're fun, but as a regular driver? Then again, a
lot depends on your weight and the condition of your local roads and
paths.
Old April 8th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 8, 1:52*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 8, 12:53*pm, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. *Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay
away from carbon frames and low spoke count wheels. *I think you were
on the right track with a Surly, or maybe a JTS. *Even the cross bike
your LBS tried to sell you... something other than carbon with wheels
that have few spokes. *It's kinda like having an old lotus as a daily
driver. *Sure, they're fun, but as a regular driver? *Then again, a
lot depends on your weight and the condition of your local roads and
paths.

Heh, see my last post. I have a serious jones for an Elite, know
where I could get one for cheap?

nate
Old April 8th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 8, 11:53*am, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?

If you ride on sunny days with smooth roads and it fits--you'll have
plenty of fun with it. I personally wouldn't want to own just a gee
whiz fast bike as my only bike--but if it fits you and your needs, go
for it. Have a good look at the frame and fork before buying. Look for
deep scratches and cracks. If it's "well used", walk away.

Well, I *do* own a 20 year old Porsche as my "real" car, if that gives
you any kind of idea as to what makes my ears wiggle *I even put
snow tires on it in the winter, which no doubt gives the "purists"
apoplectic fits.

Well, I wouldn't say that riding a 2100 is similarly idiosyncratic. A
Porsche is at least a little domesticated--it's not like you're
driving a 52 MGB.
Old April 8th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 8, 1:55 pm, N8N wrote:
On Apr 8, 1:52 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 12:53 pm, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay
away from carbon frames and low spoke count wheels. I think you were
on the right track with a Surly, or maybe a JTS. Even the cross bike
your LBS tried to sell you... something other than carbon with wheels
that have few spokes. It's kinda like having an old lotus as a daily
driver. Sure, they're fun, but as a regular driver? Then again, a
lot depends on your weight and the condition of your local roads and
paths.

Heh, see my last post. I have a serious jones for an Elite, know
where I could get one for cheap?

nate- Hide quoted text -

It depends what you want and what you're willing to put up with. If
you're willing to put up with avoiding pot holes, really watching
where you go, not being able to get fenders on there for when the
roads are wet, occasionally replacing spokes and truing wheels, etc.
in the name of a slightly faster and better handling bike when the
roads are good then go for it. Personally, I'd have a blast with that
bike, but I've got other bikes. It's a bit intense (finicky?) as an
only bike.

Knowing you and your car selection, this is the route I'd have
expected you to go. However, in your other tread you said you were
looking for:

reasonably light.

The 2100 fits here.

Able to ride most anywhere but no serious off-roading.

Maybe not so much with the 2100

Low maintenance.

Again, maybe not so much with the 2100

Well built enough and high enough quality components
that I won't end up getting PO'd at the shifters/DRs etc.

IME I'm more likely to get all PO'd with the super light racing stuff
than I am the traditional stuff. Then again, my fav. bike is dressed
in top of the line (although mostly many years old) gear.

or pointed at and laughed at by other cyclists

IME this is a function of how you ride, not what you ride. Swerving
all over the road in jeans on a carbon race bike @ 8mph will get you
laughed at. Nobody laughs at the guy they can't catch, no matter what
he wears or rides.

Cheap. (I realize that I will have to compromise on the last,
just not sure how much.)

Cheap is subjective. Depending on what you weigh and this bikes
previous life, it could end up being cheap, or it could end up being
more expensive than a brand new and very reliable bike. Your roads
and weight are a key factor. I weight 200lbs and ride off curbs, over
bumps, through trails, etc. That 2100 wouldn't stand a chance with me.
Old April 8th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 8, 1:55*pm, N8N wrote:
On Apr 8, 1:52*pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 12:53*pm, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. *Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay
away from carbon frames and low spoke count wheels. *I think you were
on the right track with a Surly, or maybe a JTS. *Even the cross bike
your LBS tried to sell you... something other than carbon with wheels
that have few spokes. *It's kinda like having an old lotus as a daily
driver. *Sure, they're fun, but as a regular driver? *Then again, a
lot depends on your weight and the condition of your local roads and
paths.

Heh, see my last post. *I have a serious jones for an Elite, know
where I could get one for cheap?

nate- Hide quoted text -

Do you know what size frame you want? Here's a couple to glance at:
http://tinyurl.com/5gj7a7 & http://tinyurl.com/6z5qw9
Old April 8th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 8, 1:20*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 8, 1:55*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:52*pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 12:53*pm, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. *Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay
away from carbon frames and low spoke count wheels. *I think you were
on the right track with a Surly, or maybe a JTS. *Even the cross bike
your LBS tried to sell you... something other than carbon with wheels
that have few spokes. *It's kinda like having an old lotus as a daily
driver. *Sure, they're fun, but as a regular driver? *Then again, a
lot depends on your weight and the condition of your local roads and
paths.

Heh, see my last post. *I have a serious jones for an Elite, know
where I could get one for cheap?

nate- Hide quoted text -

Do you know what size frame you want? *Here's a couple to glance at:http://tinyurl.com/5gj7a7&http://tinyurl.com/6z5qw9

Yup. Nothing wrong with either of those. Good basic metal road bikes.
Catch the bug? Then buy another bike perhaps, after riding a while and
focusing your needs. Get bored with it? Unload the bike on craigslist
and lose nothing.
Old April 8th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 8, 2:20*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 8, 1:55*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:52*pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 12:53*pm, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. *Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay
away from carbon frames and low spoke count wheels. *I think you were
on the right track with a Surly, or maybe a JTS. *Even the cross bike
your LBS tried to sell you... something other than carbon with wheels
that have few spokes. *It's kinda like having an old lotus as a daily
driver. *Sure, they're fun, but as a regular driver? *Then again, a
lot depends on your weight and the condition of your local roads and
paths.

Heh, see my last post. *I have a serious jones for an Elite, know
where I could get one for cheap?

nate- Hide quoted text -

Do you know what size frame you want? *Here's a couple to glance at:http://tinyurl.com/5gj7a7&http://tinyurl.com/6z5qw9- Hide quoted text -

i'm thinking I need probably either a 56 or 57cm. The Fuji I was
looking at at my LBS was a 58cm frame and it just felt too big.
Certain portions of my anatomy were quivering in fear when I tried to
put my feet flat on the ground.

nate