Pletscher Zoom versus Greenfield Stabalizer

Old May 8th 11, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JG

Default Pletscher Zoom versus Greenfield Stabalizer

My lighting project has concluded with the purchase of set of
Marathons. The Top Tour 2000's I had have served me well, but the
Marathons' reflective stripe make me street legal at night here in
California. With the Marathons came a rear mount Pletscher Zoom
kickstand, to replace my dowdy Greenfield Stabilizer. Mistake. The
Pletscher is 3 ounces heavier, has an unnecessarily complicated
clamping system, and its drilled and relieved styling just looks fussy
compared with the simple elegance of the much cheaper Greenfield.
I'll see if I can return it...
Old May 11th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chip C

On May 7, 7:28*pm, JG wrote:
My lighting project has concluded with the purchase of set of
Marathons. *The Top Tour 2000's I had have served me well, but the
Marathons' reflective stripe make me street legal at night here in
California. *With the Marathons came a rear mount Pletscher Zoom
kickstand, to replace my dowdy Greenfield Stabilizer. *Mistake. *The
Pletscher is 3 ounces heavier, has an unnecessarily complicated
clamping system, and its drilled and relieved styling just looks fussy
compared with the simple elegance of the much cheaper Greenfield.
I'll see if I can return it...

Ditto on the Greenfield, it is a brilliant design, and astonishingly
not overly marked up for distribution here in Canada.

BUT my new one (bought here 2 months ago) is assembled with those
screws whose heads fit both, and thus neither, flat & phillips
drivers. My old one (Calif, c. 1998) has allen key heads, much to be
preferred and surely the canonical bike accessory fastener nowadays.
What do you suppose is behind the change? Which does yours have?

Chip C
Toronto