Mafac cantilever straddle cables

Old August 8th 18, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Mafac cantilever straddle cables

Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever brakes. I
just want to replace the cables*, and the straddle cables gave me a
quandary.

Mafac straddle-cable ends are old-style gearshift cable lugs, and
there's a fitting they goes into to engage the brake arm.

In the old days, we'd replace the straddle with any good gear shift
cable (Campy's were generally beefier), but modern index-shift gear
cables seem a bit fragile for brake work.

Thoughts?

Mark J.

*The brake shoes were replaced long ago with Cool-Stop ?Eagle claws?, so
that's covered. Mafac pads were a bit of a fright.
Old August 8th 18, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On 08/08/18 09:00, Mark J. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever brakes.Â* I
just want to replace the cables*, and the straddle cables gave me a
quandary.

Mafac straddle-cable ends are old-style gearshift cable lugs, and
there's a fitting they goes into to engage the brake arm.

In the old days, we'd replace the straddle with any good gear shift
cable (Campy's were generally beefier), but modern index-shift gear
cables seem a bit fragile for brake work.

Thoughts?

see if you can source cable of the desired thickness and swagged/press
lumps on the end(s). Depending on the wear points, you might be able to
feather the end of the old cable into a new cable and solder/braze a
join, but the join will have to be in a length of straight cable.
Old August 8th 18, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 7:00:49 PM UTC-4, Mark J. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever brakes. I
just want to replace the cables*, and the straddle cables gave me a
quandary.

Mafac straddle-cable ends are old-style gearshift cable lugs, and
there's a fitting they goes into to engage the brake arm.

In the old days, we'd replace the straddle with any good gear shift
cable (Campy's were generally beefier), but modern index-shift gear
cables seem a bit fragile for brake work.

Thoughts?

Mark J.

*The brake shoes were replaced long ago with Cool-Stop ?Eagle claws?, so
that's covered. Mafac pads were a bit of a fright.

With any luck A. Muzi will have some. He runs Yellow Jersey Bicycle Shop in Wisconsin and has all sorts of old stuff.

Cheers
Old August 8th 18, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/7/2018 6:00 PM, Mark J. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever
brakes. I just want to replace the cables*, and the
straddle cables gave me a quandary.

Mafac straddle-cable ends are old-style gearshift cable
lugs, and there's a fitting they goes into to engage the
brake arm.

In the old days, we'd replace the straddle with any good
gear shift cable (Campy's were generally beefier), but
modern index-shift gear cables seem a bit fragile for brake
work.

Thoughts?

Mark J.

*The brake shoes were replaced long ago with Cool-Stop
?Eagle claws?, so that's covered. Mafac pads were a bit of
a fright.

Use Campagnolo (or Simplex if available) gear wires. The
head fits nicely in your Mafac carriers but Shimano type
heads jam in place. As regards strength/quality, modern
wires of all types are uniformly better period.

p.s. Kool Stop has Mafac type inserts in both black and
salmon compound if you can find your original shiny aluminum
holders.

p.p.s. Simichrome is your friend for classic not-anodized
Duraluminum parts.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 8th 18, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/7/2018 7:47 PM, news18 wrote:
On 08/08/18 09:00, Mark J. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever
brakes. I just want to replace the cables*, and the
straddle cables gave me a quandary.

Mafac straddle-cable ends are old-style gearshift cable
lugs, and there's a fitting they goes into to engage the
brake arm.

In the old days, we'd replace the straddle with any good
gear shift cable (Campy's were generally beefier), but
modern index-shift gear cables seem a bit fragile for
brake work.

Thoughts?

see if you can source cable of the desired thickness and
swagged/press lumps on the end(s). Depending on the wear
points, you might be able to feather the end of the old
cable into a new cable and solder/braze a join, but the join
will have to be in a length of straight cable.

One day if you're bored enough, melt the head off a brake
wire and note the wires are punched to an 'onion' shape
before the head is cast around them. Merely soldering a lump
of lead-substitute on a wire is unsafe.

Old August 8th 18, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 4:00:49 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever brakes. I
just want to replace the cables*, and the straddle cables gave me a
quandary.

Mafac straddle-cable ends are old-style gearshift cable lugs, and
there's a fitting they goes into to engage the brake arm.

In the old days, we'd replace the straddle with any good gear shift
cable (Campy's were generally beefier), but modern index-shift gear
cables seem a bit fragile for brake work.

Thoughts?

Mark J.

*The brake shoes were replaced long ago with Cool-Stop ?Eagle claws?, so
that's covered. Mafac pads were a bit of a fright.

Dude, one word: Tektro R539 Road Brakeset. O.K., that's three words, some numbers . . . and a letter. Or, from Jan: https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...straddle-wire/

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 8th 18, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On 08/08/18 09:00, Mark J. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever
brakes.ÂÂ* I just want to replace the cables*, and the
[...]

Which wasn't suggested. Also, I'd be surprised if any of the
swagging/swagged ends had lead in them as any stage. YMMV, but we're
infested with Tool Shops that will sell you a decent press
exconomically, if you didn't want to invest in a swagging hand tool.

Old August 8th 18, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 08/08/18 01:00, Mark J. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever brakes.Â* I
just want to replace the cables*, and the straddle cables gave me a
quandary.

Mafac straddle-cable ends are old-style gearshift cable lugs, and
there's a fitting they goes into to engage the brake arm.

In the old days, we'd replace the straddle with any good gear shift
cable (Campy's were generally beefier), but modern index-shift gear
cables seem a bit fragile for brake work.

Thoughts?

Mark J.

*The brake shoes were replaced long ago with Cool-Stop ?Eagle claws?, so
that's covered.Â* Mafac pads were a bit of a fright.

Gear cables are a lot thinner. I'd get a normal brake straddle and
grind the lumps off until they fit.
Old August 8th 18, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/8/2018 12:14 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 08/08/18 01:00, Mark J. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever
brakes. I just want to replace the cables*, and the
straddle cables gave me a quandary.

Mafac straddle-cable ends are old-style gearshift cable
lugs, and there's a fitting they goes into to engage the
brake arm.

In the old days, we'd replace the straddle with any good
gear shift cable (Campy's were generally beefier), but
modern index-shift gear cables seem a bit fragile for
brake work.

Thoughts?

Mark J.

*The brake shoes were replaced long ago with Cool-Stop
?Eagle claws?, so that's covered. Mafac pads were a bit
of a fright.

Gear cables are a lot thinner. I'd get a normal brake
straddle and grind the lumps off until they fit.

The hole in Mafac transverse anchors is small for a standard
brake wire, then or now.

Old August 8th 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/8/2018 1:14 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 08/08/18 01:00, Mark J. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever brakes.Â* I
just want to replace the cables*, and the straddle cables gave me a
quandary.

Mafac straddle-cable ends are old-style gearshift cable lugs, and
there's a fitting they goes into to engage the brake arm.

In the old days, we'd replace the straddle with any good gear shift
cable (Campy's were generally beefier), but modern index-shift gear
cables seem a bit fragile for brake work.

Thoughts?

Mark J.

*The brake shoes were replaced long ago with Cool-Stop ?Eagle claws?,
so that's covered.Â* Mafac pads were a bit of a fright.

Gear cables are a lot thinner.Â* I'd get a normal brake straddle and
grind the lumps off until they fit.

I used a gear cable when I wanted a custom straddle cable for a mixte
frame. I wanted the rear center pull brake's straddle cable to wrap
around the front of the seat tube. I made a new steel button for the
bare end of the cable and soldered it in place. The hole in the button
was countersunk at the far end, and the cable frayed outward. The bike's
still in the extended family and working well.

I used that same trick back in the 1970s when my motorcycle's clutch
cable stripped out of its end button.

--
- Frank Krygowski