Truss instead of tube in bicycle frame?

Old October 19th 04, 11:07 AM
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki

Default Truss instead of tube in bicycle frame?

We had so-called monocoque frames and now the industry came up with
this:

http://www.isotruss.org/bike.htm

Wasn't a thin-walled and butted tube lighter, stronger and stiffer than
truss in such small diameters as we have in bicycle frame?

--
Best regards,
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki

Old October 19th 04, 12:42 PM
Mike Beauchamp

I wish I could see those pictures, but they seem to have been resized via
webbrowser, making them really pixelly...

Here's the pic in the proper resolution:

http://www.isotruss.org/graphics/isobike_II_large.jpg

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

Old October 19th 04, 02:07 PM
jim beam

Rado bladteth Rzeznicki wrote:
We had so-called monocoque frames and now the industry came up with
this:

http://www.isotruss.org/bike.htm

Wasn't a thin-walled and butted tube lighter, stronger and stiffer than
truss in such small diameters as we have in bicycle frame?

yes. but it's an interesting school project.

Old October 19th 04, 09:07 PM
John Thompson

On 2004-10-19, Rado bladteth Rzeznicki wrote:

We had so-called monocoque frames and now the industry came up with
this:

http://www.isotruss.org/bike.htm

Wasn't a thin-walled and butted tube lighter, stronger and stiffer than
truss in such small diameters as we have in bicycle frame?

Alex Moulton's been making truss frames since the 1950's...

--

-John )
Old October 19th 04, 09:07 PM
John Thompson

Old October 19th 04, 10:37 PM
flatline

It's creative, for sure.
A drawback to this frame design is the difficulty of keeping the
insides clean, especially when riding through mud.

r.b.

Old October 20th 04, 10:45 AM
Mike Causer

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:07:26 +0000, John Thompson wrote:

Wasn't a thin-walled and butted tube lighter, stronger and stiffer
than truss in such small diameters as we have in bicycle frame?

Alex Moulton's been making truss frames since the 1950's...

Only since 1983; the earlier Moultons (from 1962-75) were a single large
tube. See http://www.moultoneers.net/ for more detailed history.

Mike