Beloki losing rear tire... Tubular problem?

Old July 22nd 03, 10:27 AM
James Thomson

Default Beloki losing rear tire... Tubular problem?

"Lindsay Rowlands" wrote:

: It seems from many of the contributions to this thread
: that a lot of people would be happy if they could prove
: categorically that Beloki crashed because he used tubulars.
: It's as if psyches would be eased if the crash could be
: blamed on the equipment.

That's certainly not my intention. I still have one set of tubs, though I
don't race on them.

What's to understand? At 100kph in on a twisty mountain
road, losing traction for whatever reason narrows down the
possibilities of keeping the bike/rider system in some kind
of stasis. Just as it was very arsey that LA survived the
cyclocross event, Beloki would have needed a generous
amount of luck to have saved his slide, correction and
counterslide, regardless of the road repair. If my memory
serves me, he was heading for the outside of the corner
in a state of control loss anyway.

I doubt he was doing anything like 100kph at the moment of the slide, but I
agree that having begun to slide, he would probably have crashed no matter
what the road surface or type of tyre. But he would probably have crashed
differently.

While it may an engaging opportunity for speculation, the
dynamics of the crash can never be understood in a complete
way. I just wonder what the point is.

The point? Speaking for myself, I've got a work deadline approaching, and
this is easy procrastination.

It would be much more heartening - restore faith in humanity
- if we could have a discussion about what a **** of thing it
was to have happen to an elite sportsperson, the implications
for their future and what can we as the public do as support
for them.

This is rec.bicycles.tech. If I were interested in that touchy-feely
empathetic ****, I'd probably go post on uk.rec.cycling ...

James Thomson

Old July 22nd 03, 11:48 AM
Andrew Bradley

Lindsay Rowlands wrote in message ...
It seems from many of the contributions to this thread that a lot of people
would be happy if they could prove categorically that Beloki crashed because
he used tubulars. It's as if psyches would be eased if the crash could be
blamed on the equipment. It's quite clear that Beloki was in crash mode but
may have been able to save the show if he had not hit the patch of road
repair. He was high sided. The tyre coming off the rim was a result of the
crash, not the cause or the mediator. These previous knee-jerk reactions
remind me of the Chicken Little story.

Let's wish Beloki well. His was needless but instructive though. It
showed that in hot weather on a mountain descent (the worst case
scenario for the tub) it takes quite a lot of force to rip a tub off a
carbon rim.

We can also learn not to race near the limit down hill unless
absolutely necessary. A top climber trying to snatch a few seconds
back (for second place ten days away) on a descent. What's that all
about? I just hope it wasn't a voice in his ear that sparked his
panick.

Andrew Bradley

Problem with play in rear wheel GR Mountain Biking 2 May 31st 04 06:35 PM
Tire size for 180 lb rider David Kerber General 36 May 29th 04 11:38 AM
Bianchi SISS Rear Tire Change George L. Porter, IV Mountain Biking 4 October 26th 03 02:27 AM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM
Did Beloki roll off his real tire? Wade Summers Racing 11 July 15th 03 06:31 PM