Smart Cycles Much Like Smart Cars

Old March 23rd 12, 04:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

Default Smart Cycles Much Like Smart Cars

To cheat the wind and save fuel a lot of work has been done using
computer controls to bunch vehicles closely together on the freeway.
A motorist could pull out of the pack to exit anytime.

Has anything been done with this with bicycles? It would certainly
change the nature of criteriums.

Bret Cahill

Old March 23rd 12, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 23, 3:53*am, Bret Cahill wrote:
To cheat the wind and save fuel a lot of work has been done using
computer controls to bunch vehicles closely together on the freeway.
A motorist could pull out of the pack to exit anytime.

Has anything been done with this with bicycles? *It would certainly
change the nature of criteriums.

Bret Cahill

Yes, it is called "through and off" and the computer that controls it
is called a human brain.

QUOTE:

Two lines or riders with equal numbers in each line. One faster line
sheltered from the wind (by the slower line) will be the pace setting
line... line 1. The slower line we will call the recovery line...
line 2. The chain goes clockwise or anti-clockwise depending on the
wind direction, to give shelter to the faster line. On a club run we
will usually have the outside line as the faster line - as this works
better in traffic

http://www.gregarios.co.uk/cycling-c...h-and-off.html

--
Simon Mason
Old March 23rd 12, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Bret Cahill wrote:

To cheat the wind and save fuel a lot of work has been done using
computer controls to bunch vehicles closely together on the
freeway. A motorist could pull out of the pack to exit anytime.

Has anything been done with this with bicycles? It would certainly
change the nature of criteriums.

Has anyone ever noticed that you go faster with less effort if you
bunch bicycles closely together on the road?

Ooh, dunno. You'd need a special name for the bunch of cyclists
though. If lots of people were there all pedalling on their bikes you
could call it pedal-lot-on.

That's a bit of a mouthful though, so maybe abbreviate it by dropping
some syllables.

How about pe-lot-on? 'Peloton'. I think that rolls of the tongue
nicely. I wonder if I can persuade anyone to use the term?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old March 23rd 12, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:31:38 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
wrote:

[...]

peloton : a rabble of cyclists

Old March 23rd 12, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_5_]

"Judith" wrote in message
news
peloton : a rabble of cyclists

Otherwise known as a moving roadblock

Old March 23rd 12, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Mr Benn wrote:
"Judith" wrote in message
news
peloton : a rabble of cyclists

Otherwise known as a moving roadblock

they become like skittles when they are like that, one wobbles and they all
fall over.

Old March 23rd 12, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

On Mar 23, 6:31*am, Ian Smith wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Bret Cahill wrote:
*To cheat the wind and save fuel a lot of work has been done using
*computer controls to bunch vehicles closely together on the
*freeway. A motorist could pull out of the pack to exit anytime.

*Has anything been done with this with bicycles? *It would certainly
*change the nature of criteriums.

Has anyone ever noticed that you go faster with less effort if you
bunch bicycles closely together on the road?

With computer operated servos?

Bret Cahill

Old March 23rd 12, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 23/03/2012 06:03, Simon Mason wrote:
On Mar 23, 3:53 am, Bret wrote:
To cheat the wind and save fuel a lot of work has been done using
computer controls to bunch vehicles closely together on the freeway.
A motorist could pull out of the pack to exit anytime.

Has anything been done with this with bicycles? It would certainly
change the nature of criteriums.

Bret Cahill

Yes, it is called "through and off" and the computer that controls it
is called a human brain.

That's you ****ed then...

University
Old March 24th 12, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 23, 6:49*pm, Bret Cahill wrote:
On Mar 23, 6:31*am, Ian Smith wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Bret Cahill wrote:
*To cheat the wind and save fuel a lot of work has been done using
*computer controls to bunch vehicles closely together on the
*freeway. A motorist could pull out of the pack to exit anytime.

*Has anything been done with this with bicycles? *It would certainly
*change the nature of criteriums.

Has anyone ever noticed that you go faster with less effort if you
bunch bicycles closely together on the road?

With computer operated servos?

Bret Cahill

Your brain is the computer - I can cycle about six inches off a back
wheel and if someone slows down, my brain sends a signal to my brain
to apply the brake.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 24th 12, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 24/03/2012 07:35, Simon Mason wrote:

Your brain is the computer - I can cycle about six inches off a back
wheel and if someone slows down, my brain sends a signal to my brain
to apply the brake.

Seems to crash pretty often though.

University