Words fail me..

Old October 16th 03, 09:12 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default Words fail me..

... and it's not often that happens :-(

See

http://tinyurl.com/r4h0

"Norfolk firm insures against speed cams

STEVE COX

October 16, 2003 07:35

Flash drivers, who lose their licences after getting snapped by speed cameras,
will get their taxi, bus and train fares paid under a policy launched by a
Norfolk insurance firm.

The Flashguard policy pays up to £6000 for alternative transport costs, but
has prompted words of caution from Norfolk Police and the Automobile
Association.

Adrian Flux Insurance, of East Winch Hall, near King's Lynn, which employs 230
people, has created the policy in response to the increasing number of
automatic speed cameras which mean even careful drivers can get caught out.

But a word of caution was sounded by Ian Crowder, of AA personal finance, who
said: "Policies of this sort could encourage people owning such a policy to be
less careful than they otherwise would be.

"It has been introduced as a response to the growing plethora of speed cameras
– these cameras are in place to help control excessive speed and reduce the
likelihood of accidents."

That view was echoed by a Norfolk Police spokesman, who said: "Norfolk
Constabulary would take the opportunity to remind drivers that speed limits are
in place to make our roads safer and must be complied with at all times."

Gerry Bucke, of Adrian Flux Insurance, said: "Flashguard does not condone
stupidity or dangerous driving, but we can all make mistakes. This policy means
careful drivers who are convicted of speeding can carry on with their lives,
albeit more slowly."

The premium for the policy is £50 a year, or £40 if taken out before
Christmas.

In order to qualify for the scheme, drivers must have no more than six points
current or pending and they must not have been disqualified for any offence
during the previous 12 months. Drink and drugs-related convictions are not
covered, nor are those directly associated with dangerous or reckless driving
convictions.

The firm's quoteline is on 08700 777888."

Apparently all those poor drivers who break the law speeding and are caught out
by those nasty speed cameras are really careful, law-abing citizens, and if it
wasn't for those nasty cameras...

AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Cheers, helen s
This is an invalid email adress to thwart spammers
To get my correct email remove the dependency on fame & fortune from
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Any speeling mistakes are as a result of cats on the keybrrrdd

Old October 16th 03, 10:38 AM
Clive George

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
.. and it's not often that happens :-(

See

http://tinyurl.com/r4h0

"Norfolk firm insures against speed cams

Not a new idea. I think I remember the main dealer in this sort of thing a
few years ago introducing the exclusion clause for drunk driving bans -
which they previously used to cover.

cheers,
clive

Old October 16th 03, 10:40 AM
Tony Hogarty

Gerry Bucke, of Adrian Flux Insurance, said: "Flashguard does not condone
stupidity or dangerous driving, but we can all make mistakes. This policy
means careful drivers who are convicted of speeding can carry on with
their lives, albeit more slowly."

I like the careful drivers bit here - surely if they are careful drivers
then they won't be speeding and hence won't get caught by the camera? And
four mistakes in a three year period to get them banned doesn't sound like
careful either.
--
Regards
Tony Hogarty
Old October 16th 03, 10:43 AM
Peter B

Re Speeding ban insurance.

Look on the bright side Helen.
It means persistant speeders will be less bothered about a ban and
therefore may get banned all the sooner and will be effectively removed from
the roads.
I bet they can only do this a few times before being refused cover and
their normal insurance premiums may rise astronomically.

Pete

Old October 16th 03, 11:04 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I like the careful drivers bit here - surely if they are careful drivers
then they won't be speeding and hence won't get caught by the camera? And
four mistakes in a three year period to get them banned doesn't sound like
careful either.

Quite. I distinctly remember that when being taught to drive, the intructor
pointed out this thing on the dashboard called a speedometer. He told me that
the the number the needle was pointing to told me how fast I was driving. He
also stressed the importance of speed limits and how it was (perhaps it really
is past tense...) important not to break the speed limit on any given road.
This also formed part of the driving test which I managed to pass, so it can't
be that difficult. The way I look at it, if one of those new-fangled speed
camera thinggies catches me speeding then I have no-one to blame but myself as
I won't have been driving carefully or paying attention as I break the law!

Old October 16th 03, 11:44 AM
Andy Koppe

Apparently all those poor drivers who break the law speeding and are
caught out by those nasty speed cameras are really careful, law-abing
citizens, and if it wasn't for those nasty cameras...

AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Don't get too upset about it. Surely the insurance company doesn't intend to
make a loss on this, so gullible drivers will end up paying even more.

Andy

Old October 16th 03, 12:03 PM
RG

"Andy Koppe" a n d y @ d c s . e d . a c . u k wrote in message

Apparently all those poor drivers who break the law speeding and are
caught out by those nasty speed cameras are really careful, law-abing
citizens, and if it wasn't for those nasty cameras...

AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Don't get too upset about it. Surely the insurance company doesn't intend

make a loss on this, so gullible drivers will end up paying even more.

Andy

If my memory serves me correctly this policy is rather like the St
Christopher and Chaufeurplan policies that were around in the 1970s - the
cover was for a driver to be provided for you in the event of a drink
driving ban ..... pretty clever, eh? BUT I think that they were outlawed
by the government and/or the insurance regulatory bodies, i.e. made illegal
to sell.

Perhaps this latest aberration will go the same way - it certainly seems a
bit rich to insure oneself against committing a crime....

...... so watch your mailboxes for the "Murder your wife and get away with it
policy" - at a dodgy broker near you, real soon!

Rob

Old October 16th 03, 12:48 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Clive George" typed

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
.. and it's not often that happens :-(

See

http://tinyurl.com/r4h0

"Norfolk firm insures against speed cams

Not a new idea. I think I remember the main dealer in this sort of thing a
few years ago introducing the exclusion clause for drunk driving bans -
which they previously used to cover.

cheers,
clive

St Christopher's, wasn't it? ISTR such schemes were eventually outlawed.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 16th 03, 01:06 PM
MSeries

..... even careful
drivers can get caught out.

This is making me seeth, I usually try to avoid commenting on things not
relating to cycling but this is nagging me. Warning signs must be provided
when speed cameras are in use, there have been two cases around here where
convictions by camera have been quoshed because 1) the signs were the wrong
design/colour or 2) Mobile equipement was bening used and no signs were in
place. Drivers who do not see signs, for speed limits, for speed cameras,
then fail to look at their speedos and fail to drive in a manner appropriate
to the conditions are not careful drivers.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

Old October 16th 03, 01:47 PM
Tony Raven

MSeries wrote:

This is making me seeth, I usually try to avoid commenting on things
not relating to cycling but this is nagging me. Warning signs must be
provided when speed cameras are in use, there have been two cases
around here where convictions by camera have been quoshed because 1)
the signs were the wrong design/colour or 2) Mobile equipement was
bening used and no signs were in place. Drivers who do not see signs,
for speed limits, for speed cameras, then fail to look at their
speedos and fail to drive in a manner appropriate to the conditions
are not careful drivers.

If I can put the other side these days there is a plethora of speed limits
and I often find myself trying to remember what the actual speed limit is.
One stretch of road that I travel on frequently goes from 50 down to 30 then
back up to 40 then down to 30 again then back up to 50 before a 40 and then
derestricted! Since I'm reaching that age where, as a friend describes it,
you find yourself standing in the loo wondering what you went in there for,
I also find myself wondering which the current speed limit is on that
stretch of road. I always try to respect the speed limit but sometimes I do
make a mistake with this confusion over what the current speed limit is.

On the warning signs I have twice recently passed mobile speed cameras where
no signs were up and we have a sign near here which is hidden by the
branches of a tree in summer. I have no problem with any of them because
I'm within the speed limit but it would be wrong to assume that not seeing
signs for speed cameras is always a driver problem.

Tony