Cyclist, hill, pothole, over the handlebars

Old March 18th 13, 06:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Cyclist, hill, pothole, over the handlebars

Why do cyclists travel so fast that they cannot avoid potholes, they know
that they will be thrown over the bars if they hit one.

http://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/n..._town_centre_/

Old March 18th 13, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
nik.morgan[_2_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote:
Why do cyclists travel so fast that they cannot avoid potholes, they know
that they will be thrown over the bars if they hit one.

We have been told that is impossible to be thrown over the bars therefore
they probably don't feel at risk.

--
ennemm
Old March 18th 13, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOHR

On 18/03/2013 07:07, nik.morgan wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote:
Why do cyclists travel so fast that they cannot avoid potholes, they know
that they will be thrown over the bars if they hit one.

We have been told that is impossible to be thrown over the bars therefore
they probably don't feel at risk.

Unless they are wearing a helmet, in which case they will take more
risks :-)

--
Dave-Cyclists VOHR
''As the severity of the injury increased the benefit of wearing a

Results showed that cyclists without helmets were more than 3.9 times as
likely to sustain a head injury to those with helmets. Helmets reduced
the risk of moderate head injury by 49 per cent, of serious head injury
by 62 per cent, and of severe head injury by 74 per cent".
Old March 18th 13, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On Mar 18, 8:06*am, Dave - Cyclists VOHR
wrote:
On 18/03/2013 07:07, nik.morgan wrote: "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Why do cyclists travel so fast that they cannot avoid potholes, they know
that they will be thrown over the bars if they hit one.

We have been told that is impossible to be thrown over the bars therefore
they probably don't feel at risk.

Unless they are wearing a helmet, in which case they will take more
risks :-)

You motorists need to pay more for the damage that you cause and
injuries which you inflict.
Old March 18th 13, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

wrote:
Why do cyclists travel so fast that they cannot avoid potholes,
they know that they will be thrown over the bars if they hit one.

We have been told that is impossible to be thrown over the bars
therefore they probably don't feel at risk.

Unless they are wearing a helmet, in which case they will take more
risks :-)

You motorists need to pay more for the damage that you cause and
injuries which you inflict.

he chose to ride too fast for the conditions. It could have been a baby
that he 'had' to ride over.

Old March 18th 13, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote:
Why do cyclists travel so fast that they cannot avoid potholes, they
know
that they will be thrown over the bars if they hit one.

We have been told that is impossible to be thrown over the bars therefore
they probably don't feel at risk.

Unless they are wearing a helmet, in which case they will take more risks
:-)

Yes but helmets increase reaction times and restrict visibility.

Take a look at a typical cycling helmet:

http://www.colourbox.com/preview/240...cle-helmet.jpg

How could this chap possibly see properly with that on his head? It must be
like looking out at the world like a person who... who...who *doesn't* have
one on.

Old March 18th 13, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

wrote:
Why do cyclists travel so fast that they cannot avoid potholes,
they know that they will be thrown over the bars if they hit one.

We have been told that is impossible to be thrown over the bars
therefore they probably don't feel at risk.

Unless they are wearing a helmet, in which case they will take more
risks :-)

You motorists need to pay more for the damage that you cause and
injuries which you inflict.

he chose to ride too fast for the conditions. *It could have been a baby
that he 'had' to ride over.

That's true, I'm dodging babies in the road, all the time. I blame the
parents.

Are you real?
Old March 18th 13, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M Wicks

wrote:

On 18/03/2013 07:07, nik.morgan wrote: "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Why do cyclists travel so fast that they cannot avoid potholes, they know
that they will be thrown over the bars if they hit one.

We have been told that is impossible to be thrown over the bars therefore
they probably don't feel at risk.

Unless they are wearing a helmet, in which case they will take more
risks :-)

You motorists need to pay more for the damage that you cause and
injuries which you inflict.

Why are you mentioning motorists again? Why can you never talk about
cycling without immediately having a go at drivers? Is it because you
don't actually cycle at all and are merely anti-car? Are you ashamed
of that?
Old March 18th 13, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M Wicks

On Mar 18, 11:47*am, Squashme wrote:
Are you real?

Is that the new way of saying "Are you for real?" for the trendy
people (and old men embarrassingly trying to be trendy)?

On with the dyed t-shirt and off to the commune now is it? Then maybe
shopping for some homeopathic "remedies" and some nice overpriced
"organic" food? Bought into all the "cool" lefty ****, haven't you?
Bit sad for someone your age though, surely?
Old March 18th 13, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

wrote:

On 18/03/2013 07:07, nik.morgan wrote: "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Why do cyclists travel so fast that they cannot avoid potholes, they know
that they will be thrown over the bars if they hit one.

We have been told that is impossible to be thrown over the bars therefore
they probably don't feel at risk.

Unless they are wearing a helmet, in which case they will take more
risks :-)

You motorists need to pay more for the damage that you cause and
injuries which you inflict.

Why are you mentioning motorists again? Why can you never talk about
cycling without immediately having a go at drivers? Is it because you
don't actually cycle at all and are merely anti-car? Are you ashamed
of that?

Potholes are made by motorists. Not cyclists. We need to talk about
the source of the problems, not side-effects.

Cyclist Killed by "Good" Pothole Guy Cuthbertson[_9_] UK 11 April 3rd 10 08:08 AM
Cyclist injured in pothole crash Simon Mason UK 58 April 22nd 09 08:48 AM
The Cyclist-eating pothole is gone, thanks Scotty72 matagi Australia 11 September 28th 06 09:13 AM
Box Hill Cyclist cfsmtb Australia 6 May 11th 06 09:57 PM
Chinese cyclist falls down pothole [email protected] UK 3 December 29th 05 09:22 AM