Trail Building ala AZ style

Old January 7th 07, 02:21 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

Default Trail Building ala AZ style

It seems the BLM is putting our tax dollars to good work. I and about 30
(the AZ style part) other volunteers helped cut in some 800-1000 feet of new
trail near Black Canyon City. In the plans are some 100 miles of trails
from what I heard. Eventually this single track (no motors allowed) will
run from the edge of the Prescott National Forest boundary (BLM is working
with FS to continue trail through) South to the Carefree Hwy. This will
make for one killer epic when finished. BLM is also hiring trail crews to
do some of the heavier work.

A lot of pics were taken today and when I find out where they're at I'll
post a link. It was a beautiful day and made special by all the hard work
from everybody (including the horse folks) :-).

Gary

Old January 7th 07, 05:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

GeeDubb wrote:
It seems the BLM is putting our tax dollars to good work. I and about
30 (the AZ style part) other volunteers helped cut in some 800-1000 feet
of new trail near Black Canyon City. In the plans are some 100 miles of
trails from what I heard. Eventually this single track (no motors
allowed) will run from the edge of the Prescott National Forest boundary
(BLM is working with FS to continue trail through) South to the Carefree
Hwy. This will make for one killer epic when finished. BLM is also
hiring trail crews to do some of the heavier work.

Sounds cool. Hopefully whoever they hire won't do this:

http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/sequoias/sanitized.jpg

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old January 7th 07, 05:20 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Slack

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 21:15:20 -0800, G.T. wrote:

GeeDubb wrote:
It seems the BLM is putting our tax dollars to good work. I and about
30 (the AZ style part) other volunteers helped cut in some 800-1000
feet of new trail near Black Canyon City. In the plans are some 100
miles of trails from what I heard. Eventually this single track (no
motors allowed) will run from the edge of the Prescott National Forest
boundary (BLM is working with FS to continue trail through) South to
the Carefree Hwy. This will make for one killer epic when finished.
BLM is also hiring trail crews to do some of the heavier work.

Sounds cool. Hopefully whoever they hire won't do this:

http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/sequoias/sanitized.jpg

Greg

That is one sad trail.
--
Slack
Old January 7th 07, 05:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

GeeDubb wrote:
It seems the BLM is putting our tax dollars to good work. I and
about 30 (the AZ style part) other volunteers helped cut in some
800-1000 feet of new trail near Black Canyon City. In the plans are
some 100 miles of trails from what I heard. Eventually this single
track (no motors allowed) will run from the edge of the Prescott
National Forest boundary (BLM is working with FS to continue trail
through) South to the Carefree Hwy. This will make for one killer
epic when finished. BLM is also hiring trail crews to do some of the
heavier work.

Sounds cool. Hopefully whoever they hire won't do this:

http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/sequoias/sanitized.jpg

Greg

That is one sad trail.
--Slack

Looks like the new trails JeffCo builds with their tractor. Their
response... We can build five miles of trail in a week. My response...
You mean you can build a five mile Nascar course in a week.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old January 7th 07, 01:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

GeeDubb wrote:
[...]

funny thing about the "pan loop" section of the BCT is that you drop into
most, if not all, of the washes coming out of them with a sharp left turn.

Their tractor would have come in handy on a few sections I hand picked for
several hours....dig a hole, fill it in...dig some more, fill it in and it
still needed to be cut back another 2-3' to make it bullet proof.

I'm hoping somebody posts the pix soon but here's a link to the trail
coalition site www.bctc.com

Gary

Old January 7th 07, 04:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
small change

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
m...
It seems the BLM is putting our tax dollars to good work. I and about 30
(the AZ style part) other volunteers helped cut in some 800-1000 feet of
new trail near Black Canyon City. In the plans are some 100 miles of
trails from what I heard. Eventually this single track (no motors
allowed) will run from the edge of the Prescott National Forest boundary
(BLM is working with FS to continue trail through) South to the Carefree
Hwy. This will make for one killer epic when finished. BLM is also
hiring trail crews to do some of the heavier work.

A lot of pics were taken today and when I find out where they're at I'll
post a link. It was a beautiful day and made special by all the hard work
from everybody (including the horse folks) :-).

Gary

Horse folk can be a good thing, especially when they show up with Perchorons
wearing gravel bags.

One of the best things to ever happen, at least for trail users around here,
is for hikers, horse people and bikers to be on the same work crews.

~P.

Old January 7th 07, 08:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"small change" wrote in message

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

It was especially nice have the pack horse carry in the gas powered jack
hammer and most of the short handle tools. Unfortunately there's a lot of
this trail that is soft and will be easily damaged by a lot of horse traffic
(unlikely scenario I hope). Further investigation (reading MTBR) put about
half the workers at mtb'rs and the other half hikers and horse persons
(about 4 or 5 BLM regulars/volunteers)

I tried to ride today....lasted about 45 minutes before my quads and back
said FU.......rest rest and more rest today.

Gary

Old January 7th 07, 08:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
pauly

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 08:24:03 -0800, small change wrote
(in article ):

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

It only makes sense for all the trail user groups to combine their efforts to
create more trails instead of wasting time by fighting with each other . We
need to realize that we have common goals; protecting public lands, more
trails.

Paul

Old January 7th 07, 09:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:21:00 -0700, GeeDubb wrote:

It seems the BLM is putting our tax dollars to good work. I and about 30
(the AZ style part) other volunteers helped cut in some 800-1000 feet of new
trail near Black Canyon City. In the plans are some 100 miles of trails
from what I heard. Eventually this single track (no motors allowed) will
run from the edge of the Prescott National Forest boundary (BLM is working
with FS to continue trail through) South to the Carefree Hwy. This will
make for one killer epic when finished. BLM is also hiring trail crews to
do some of the heavier work.

A lot of pics were taken today and when I find out where they're at I'll
post a link. It was a beautiful day and made special by all the hard work
from everybody (including the horse folks) :-).

Gary

cool, looking forward to seeing the pics.

was it muddy out there?, (with some of the recent rain we've had).
Old January 8th 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"daddy" wrote in message
news
[...]

No mud, very dry digging but the river had water flowing. Next trail day is
2-10-07,
mark it on your calendar ;-). There's a not so good shot posted in MTBR
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...09361#poststop if you're a member
you can view it, if not it's not worthy of signing up.

Gary