So which 'safety' equipment do you cycle with?

Old April 16th 07, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Default So which 'safety' equipment do you cycle with?

As subject line really ... Which, if any so called 'safety' equipment do you
all cycle with?

I know it depends a lot on what people are doing, DH'ers might have full
body armour etc, but for general purpose getting about, day to day riding?

Reason I ask is I had an interesting traffic lights conversation with a guy
on a Bianchi road bike (missed exactly what it was) something along the
lines of ...

Roadie "Why haven't you got a helmet on?"
Me "I don't think they help much in accidents on the road"
Roadie "Well you ride an mtb so you should wear a helmet"
Me (bit gobsmacked)"So why's your helmet undone and why aren't you wearing
gloves?"
Roadie "**** off" ......

We went separate ways ..

Is it me? Why would riding an mtb mean I *should* wear a helmet?

From any reference point and experience I have, and I've been riding since I
was 4 years old, (now 47) on and off-road and done all sorts of cycling
'things', I've always worn gloves and more than once replaced them 'cos they
got scuffed when my palms/wrists didn't.

This guy didn't have his helmet fitted properly, and didn't even have track
mitts .. so any benefit he might have got from wearing a helmet would
possibly have been negated by it wither twisting his head off, or simply
bouncing off his head anyway. I consider not wearing gloves on bikes (pedal
or motor) to be the utmost folly, whatever the weather/conditions.

PS; The questions I ask are probably rhetorical really, any answers aren't
going to change me now, I don't think, but it might provoke an interesting
discussion.

--
Paul - xxx

Old April 16th 07, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
squeaker

On 16 Apr, 12:43, "Paul - xxx" wrote:
but it might provoke an interesting discussion.

Really? I doubt it.....

Old April 16th 07, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On Apr 16, 12:43 pm, "Paul - xxx" wrote:
As subject line really ... Which, if any so called 'safety'
equipment do you all cycle with?

Track mitts and eye protection.

Reason I ask is I had an interesting traffic lights conversation
with a guy on a Bianchi road bike (missed exactly what it was)
something along the lines of ...

Most roadies have not gone into the issue in much detail and assume
that helmets are useful as they are forced to wear them in races, and
sometimes on club runs. They are usually aware of how to wear them
though so he should have known to do the strap up.

If you're riding on the road the safety issue is the same whether you
are on an MTB or a road bike.

--
Dave...

Old April 16th 07, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Paul - xxx wrote:
As subject line really ... Which, if any so called 'safety' equipment do you
all cycle with?

I know it depends a lot on what people are doing, DH'ers might have full
body armour etc, but for general purpose getting about, day to day riding?

if it's sunny, cycling cap to prevent sunburn (I'm a slaphead) and keep
my eyes in shade, possibly sunglasses. High SPF cream for exposed areas
(I burn easily).

if it's cold, whatever clothing to keep warm, possibly clear glasses to
stop my eyes running in the cold.

XC on the MTB, track mitts (though I've just been and got on with it
anyway when I noticed I'd forgotten them), probably shoes rather than
sandals.
Silly technical (for me!) stuff on the MTB, track mitts and usually a
helmet, shoes.

On the unicycle, wrist guards.

If it's raining, my waterproof jackets are fluo yellow, and any
replacement will be at least a bright colour, if not fluo. While I have
a fluo yellow windbreaker whether I wear it or not is now down to its
weather protection rather than the colour. I try to avoid black jackets.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 16th 07, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Apr 16, 1:43 pm, "Paul - xxx" wrote:
As subject line really ... Which, if any so called 'safety' equipment do you
all cycle with?

I have a rear-reflector.

I have mitts to stop an inverse print of the word SCOTT in each hand
(jeez they created the world's most ridiculous bar grips).

I don't have any eye protection right now, since I snapped a pair of
Oakleys whilst in Morzine/Avoriaz skiing earlier this year! That's my
next purchase priority.

--
AndyM

Old April 16th 07, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc Brett

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:43:39 +0100, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

As subject line really ... Which, if any so called 'safety' equipment do you
all cycle with?

I'm in neither category so don't bother, but worth considering:

ID, if you live alone.

Organ donor card, if you're healthy.

Because change happenz...

Old April 16th 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Paul - xxx said the following on 16/04/2007 12:43:

Is it me? Why would riding an mtb mean I *should* wear a helmet?

There's nothing to say you should wear a helmet when riding an MTB, but
for off-road riding I do wear a helmet and gloves and many (all?) trail
centres advise you to wear one. I'd rather head-butt a tree with a
helmet than without :-) On-road? Well, I suppose my trouser bands are
fluorescent. Does that count as safety equipment?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 16th 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve Watkin

Normally take my brain with me, seems sufficient to me!

Old April 16th 07, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Paul - xxx wrote:

As subject line really ... Which, if any so called 'safety'
equipment do you all cycle with?

Always something on the soles of my feet (normally equipped with ATAC
cleats, unless on the unicycle). Nearly always some sort of trousers
(most often cycling shorts, though again, unless on the unicycle).

I have what is effectively a dog-tag for a medical condition which
(practically) never comes off, but if I didn't I would add dog-tags
when riding alone.

That's about it really. The rest is 'to suit local conditions'.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Cycle safety fisher UK 57 March 4th 07 07:32 PM
Cycle Safety Quizz Bertie Wiggins UK 16 October 10th 05 07:51 PM
Opinions on this safety equipment for me oldfatboy Unicycling 29 August 26th 05 08:41 PM
Lidl cycle equipment John UK 8 August 18th 05 03:44 PM
Safety equipment..Knee pads S. Anderson General 15 August 19th 03 04:41 PM