Shimano Shifters & Derailleurs--What are the practical differencesbetween model lines?

Old August 3rd 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
StanW

Default Shimano Shifters & Derailleurs--What are the practical differencesbetween model lines?

Buying a new bike recently was an experience in getting non-answers. I
tried to ask the dealers what is the difference(s) between Dura Ace,
Ultegra, 105, etc. but got no concrete answers. So here is the
question: asked from cost, will I be able to notice any better,
quicker, quieter shifting on a bike with Dura Ace, Ultegra, etc
shifters?
Old August 3rd 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 2, 9:13*pm, StanW wrote:
Buying a new bike recently was an experience in getting non-answers. I
tried to ask the dealers what is the difference(s) between Dura Ace,
Ultegra, 105, etc. but got no concrete answers. So here is the
question: asked from cost, will I be able to notice any better,
quicker, quieter shifting on a *bike with Dura Ace, Ultegra, etc
shifters?

IMHO, any *major* feel in shifting differences between two bikes
equipped with Dura Ace and 105 is going to be due to the way the bike
is dialed in. Even Tiagra/Sora can be dialed in to shift pretty darn
nicely.
Old August 3rd 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Aug 2, 7:13*pm, StanW wrote:
Buying a new bike recently was an experience in getting non-answers. I
tried to ask the dealers what is the difference(s) between Dura Ace,
Ultegra, 105, etc. but got no concrete answers. So here is the
question: asked from cost, will I be able to notice any better,
quicker, quieter shifting on a *bike with Dura Ace, Ultegra, etc
shifters?

The differences will be in weight, which is only tangentially related
to performance. I defy anybody to tell the difference between DA & 105
based solely on shifting speed & noise, given, like Landotter said,
equal quality of setup.
Old August 3rd 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 2, 10:58*pm, Hank wrote:
On Aug 2, 7:13*pm, StanW wrote:

Buying a new bike recently was an experience in getting non-answers. I
tried to ask the dealers what is the difference(s) between Dura Ace,
Ultegra, 105, etc. but got no concrete answers. So here is the
question: asked from cost, will I be able to notice any better,
quicker, quieter shifting on a *bike with Dura Ace, Ultegra, etc
shifters?

The differences will be in weight, which is only tangentially related
to performance. I defy anybody to tell the difference between DA & 105
based solely on shifting speed & noise

You bet--and then there's the issue of what's the brand of cogset,
chain, lube, and cranks. But if they're all reasonable quality and
not defective, a good wrench can make them sing.
Old August 3rd 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Hank" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 7:13 pm, StanW wrote:
Buying a new bike recently was an experience in getting non-answers. I
tried to ask the dealers what is the difference(s) between Dura Ace,
Ultegra, 105, etc. but got no concrete answers. So here is the
question: asked from cost, will I be able to notice any better,
quicker, quieter shifting on a bike with Dura Ace, Ultegra, etc
shifters?

The differences will be in weight, which is only tangentially related
to performance. I defy anybody to tell the difference between DA & 105
based solely on shifting speed & noise, given, like Landotter said,
equal quality of setup.

Add to that the vanity factor and the size of your bank account. Same
holds true with Campy for the most part.

Chas.

Old August 3rd 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Aug 2, 8:13*pm, StanW wrote:
Buying a new bike recently was an experience in getting non-answers. I
tried to ask the dealers what is the difference(s) between Dura Ace,
Ultegra, 105, etc. but got no concrete answers. So here is the
question: asked from cost, will I be able to notice any better,
quicker, quieter shifting on a *bike with Dura Ace, Ultegra, etc
shifters?

No. Perhaps some durability increase with ultegra when compared to DA
and 105. 105 not as 'tight', tolerance wise and DA lighter, racing
type gear so not as durable. But when new, no difference.
Old August 3rd 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 19:13:24 -0700 (PDT), StanW
wrote:

Buying a new bike recently was an experience in getting non-answers. I
tried to ask the dealers what is the difference(s) between Dura Ace,
Ultegra, 105, etc. but got no concrete answers. So here is the
question: asked from cost, will I be able to notice any better,
quicker, quieter shifting on a bike with Dura Ace, Ultegra, etc
shifters?

No. The different levels perhaps feel different, but all shift well.