Conti Tyre Blowout

Old May 29th 05, 04:39 PM

Default Conti Tyre Blowout

I blew out the sidewall in my back tyre while touring a couple of days
ago. It was a Conti TT 2000 700x37 on a Mavic T224 rim. The tyre
concerned had about 2000 miles on it and failed right at the rim. It
was inflated to 80psi against a rec max of 70psi. The tread was worn
but nowhere near threadbare.
Of more concern was the fact when I checked the front tyre ( 700x32
same mileage but plenty tread left) I found extensive wear at the same
area all round the rim.
Searching previous threads on this group it seems Contis are prone
to sidewall failure. Espescially with some Mavic rims.
So both tyres ditched. I'm tending towards 700x32 Schwalbe
Marathons to replace the Contis.
Anyone know any good deals on Marathons just now or going to
persuade me to get anything else.
Iain

Old May 29th 05, 10:10 PM
MSA

PeteC wrote:

And you're still wondering why it failed? You did well to get 2,000 miles
out of it under that pressure.

Pete.

I wouldn't argue the fact, but I'm having damn trouble believing that
would make much difference.

--
Mark

Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull before
Old May 30th 05, 06:13 PM

I blew out the sidewall in my back tyre while touring a couple of days
ago. It was a Conti TT 2000 700x37 on a Mavic T224 rim. The tyre
concerned had about 2000 miles on it and failed right at the rim. It
was inflated to 80psi against a rec max of 70psi. The tread was worn
but nowhere near threadbare.
Of more concern was the fact when I checked the front tyre ( 700x32
same mileage but plenty tread left) I found extensive wear at the same
area all round the rim.
Searching previous threads on this group it seems Contis are prone
to sidewall failure. Espescially with some Mavic rims.

This is a particular issue with using wide tyres on narrow ryms. It is
not related to overinflation, indeed, if anything it's related to
underinflation.

What happens is that where the tyre sydewall bulges outward over the
top of the rym, it rubs and abrades. This motion and abrasion is
greater with lower pressures.

37 mm tyres of any brand are going to be a bit wyde for that particular
rym.

Unfortunately, using pressure high enough to prevent this will
generally defeat the purpose of the wyde tyres.

Sheldon "Note Brytish Spelling!" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
| If you haven't yet discovered the novels |
| of Neal Stephenson, don't wait! |
| Start with Snow Crash or Quicksilver |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old May 30th 05, 06:52 PM
wafflycat

wrote in message
oups.com...

Sheldon "Note Brytish Spelling!" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts

Indeed Sheldon is so proud of his correct spelling, that he posted twice ;-)

Cor Blimey! helen s

Old May 30th 05, 10:19 PM
Simon Brooke

in message .com,
') wrote:

Unfortunately, using pressure high enough to prevent this will
generally defeat the purpose of the wyde tyres.

Sheldon "Note Brytish Spelling!" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts

You mipsellsed 'thys' and aslo 'wyll'. HTH. HNAD.

;; This email may contain confidential or otherwise privileged
;; information, though, quite frankly, if you're not the intended
;; recipient and you've got nothing better to do than read other
;; folks' emails then I'm glad to have brightened up your sad little
;; life a tiny bit.
Old June 1st 05, 09:10 AM

Just in case anybody is interested - I just noticed that my Schwalbe
marathon rear tyre has worn nearly smooth and has done about 6000 km
(including LEJOG and other heavy loaded cycle camping, lotsa roughish
trail rides etc). Front tyre looks good for another 3000km.
No punctures at all so far.
700x32 on Mavic T224 on Dawes Galaxy.

RoadBikeRider newsletter on tire wear Matt O'Toole Techniques 2 June 11th 04 12:08 AM
Tyre failure example (with an aside on tyre liners) Andrew Webster Techniques 16 December 12th 03 03:59 AM
Tyre failure and tyre liners Andrew Webster Techniques 5 December 4th 03 08:26 PM
First blowout tony R UK 6 October 15th 03 07:28 PM
Tyre Size Madness ChrisW UK 6 August 21st 03 03:20 PM