What would the Devil have driven?

Old January 9th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

Default What would the Devil have driven?

I'm not of any religious persuasion that is easy to explain, but I find the
fact that you keep making all sorts of flames based on religion is getting
to be a little offensive.

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
Since it's pretty much settled that Jesus would have ridden a bike,
let's debate now what the Devil would have driven...

On Jan 9, 12:22 pm, "David V." wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:

I thought he drove an SUV.

"The Devil" does not exist. But you do remind me of Don Quixote.
His SUV polluted too.

DonQuixote rode a horse, Rocinante, and Sancho rode a donkey, like
Jesus.

The Devil does not exist but Christians are often found doing evil
things. I have no doubt in my mind though that the Devil would have
driven an SUV if he existed.

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

Old January 10th 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

landotter ??? wrote:
Religion is a belief in nonsense,...

Utter rubbish. The Flying Spaghetti Monster created the Universe with
His Noodly Appendage.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth
Old January 10th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
landotter ??? wrote:
Religion is a belief in nonsense,...

Utter rubbish. The Flying Spaghetti Monster created the Universe with His
Noodly Appendage.

No, it was the aliens. As you would know if you listened to Bob.

Old January 10th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"landotter" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 4:41 pm, "Amy Blankenship"
wrote:
I'm not of any religious persuasion that is easy to explain, but I find
the
fact that you keep making all sorts of flames based on religion is
getting
to be a little offensive.

Religion is a belief in nonsense, as such, it should develop a thicker
skin, and less of an attitude. On my local newspaper's message boards,
nearly half the messages are religious folks condemning others.
Strangely enough, when one responds in kind, one is labeled as
intolerant.

Direct attacks on others' deeply held beliefs isn't funny, whether I share
them or not.

Old January 10th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"donquijote1954" wrote in message

wrote:
I'm not of any religious persuasion that is easy to explain, but I find
the
fact that you keep making all sorts of flames based on religion is
getting
to be a little offensive.

Religion is a belief in nonsense, as such, it should develop a thicker
skin, and less of an attitude. On my local newspaper's message boards,
nearly half the messages are religious folks condemning others.
Strangely enough, when one responds in kind, one is labeled as
intolerant.

Direct attacks on others' deeply held beliefs isn't funny, whether I share
them or not.

But when those beliefs are used as cover for evil things then they are
fair game.

------------------

But you haven't attacked them as a cover for evil things. You've
essentially said

"All Christians drive SUV's"
"SUV's are evil"
"Therefore, all Christians are evil."

Only you've managed to pad it out to make it much more offensive than that.

Old January 10th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"Chalo" wrote in message
Amy Blankenship wrote:

landotter wrote:

Amy Blankenship wrote:

I'm not of any religious persuasion that is easy to explain, but I
find
the
fact that you keep making all sorts of flames based on religion is
getting
to be a little offensive.

Religion is a belief in nonsense, as such, it should develop a thicker
skin, and less of an attitude. On my local newspaper's message boards,
nearly half the messages are religious folks condemning others.
Strangely enough, when one responds in kind, one is labeled as
intolerant.

Direct attacks on others' deeply held beliefs isn't funny, whether I
share
them or not.

Disabusing others of their ridiculous notions is a righteous act, even
if it's often ineffective.

It's not what, it is how.

If you had a friend or coworker who you discovered actually harbored a
belief in Santa Claus that was guiding his decisions and interfering
with his education or career, would you try to straighten him out in
any way?

I certainly wouldn't do it in a way that made fun of his belief and
deliberately offended him. For one thing, it's not a nice thing to do. For
another thing, people tend not to listen to those who are rude to them. So,
if my actual intention was to change his opinion and/or behavior, I wouldn't
rub his face in how stupid I thought he was.

How about someone who refused to travel internationally for
fear of falling off the edge of the earth, and therefore missed out on
seeing other places? Would you consider it an act of _respect_ to
refrain from challenging his foolishness?

Oh, absolutely I would leave that one alone. Some people are born to be
homebodies, and these kinds of excuses reflect their wish to stay at home.

Religious tolerance is a concept crafted to keep various primitive
thinkers from murdering each other in the names of their respective
imaginary friends. It is about making violent fools keep peace with
each other, not about compelling the reality-based community to
pretend that delusional people are on an equal footing with sane
ones.

That is one way to look at it. However, it is NOT the way it is viewed by
people who hold strong religious views, so approaching them with that
attitude will never sway them. If you insist on doing so, you are doing it
because you want to vent and because you like being mean. Or possibly
because you haven't realized that attacking people isn't a useful way to try
to change their behavior. Certainly you're not doing it out of an honest
and thoughtful desire to change their behavior.

-Amy

Old January 10th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Leo Lichtman

"Amy Blankenship" wrote: (clip) However, it is NOT the way it is viewed by
people who hold strong religious views, so approaching them with that
attitude will never sway them. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
People who hold strong religious views generally have them because they were
brought up that way. The architecture of the brain is formed while they are
young, and they cannot usually free themselves from these beliefs. Trying
to dissuade them is pointless.

Old January 10th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Amy Blankenship" wrote: (clip) However, it is NOT the way it is viewed
by
people who hold strong religious views, so approaching them with that
attitude will never sway them. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
People who hold strong religious views generally have them because they
were brought up that way. The architecture of the brain is formed while
they are young, and they cannot usually free themselves from these
beliefs. Trying to dissuade them is pointless.

I was brought up VERY Southern Baptist.

Old January 10th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"Chalo" wrote in message
Amy Blankenship wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

People who hold strong religious views generally have them because they
were brought up that way. The architecture of the brain is formed
while
they are young, and they cannot usually free themselves from these
beliefs. Trying to dissuade them is pointless.

I was brought up VERY Southern Baptist.

I was brought up half-heartedly Southern Baptist. I'm glad to say I
am now fully cured of that ailment.

Maybe Southern Baptists should take up shunning or honor killings as a
way to improve retention.

Must suck to be so bitter.

Old January 11th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
And God save anyone who dares draw a cartoon...

Which one???

Hand driven Unicycle fontiminal Unicycling 15 December 11th 08 10:45 AM
What would the Devil have driven? donquijote1954 General 109 January 22nd 08 02:28 AM
What would the Devil have driven? donquijote1954 Social Issues 98 January 22nd 08 02:28 AM
Chain driven dynamo? Chris Eilbeck UK 8 September 28th 06 06:36 PM
Chain driven question glopal Unicycling 5 September 13th 03 02:04 PM