Rohloff Speedhub experience?

Old September 29th 04, 06:59 PM
Neil

Default Rohloff Speedhub experience?

I am sick of screwing around with my derailleur. I just want a bike that I
can ride without always fine tuning the derailleurs. I am particularly
finicky about missed shifts or slow shifting.

I don't have the quads to ride single speed on my trails. I have heard
reviews on the Rohloff hub a few years ago, but nothing since. No one I
know rides one. No shops in town carry them. The last review I read was a
bit luke warm about the shifting performance. I am not a gram counter and
I realize the Rohloffs are a little heavy compared to XTR stuff, but if
they work reliably and have smooth, consistent shifting, I want some.

Any experience with these hubs?

Thanks in advance

Old September 29th 04, 11:06 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Neil wrote:
I am sick of screwing around with my derailleur. I just want a bike
that I can ride without always fine tuning the derailleurs. I am
particularly finicky about missed shifts or slow shifting.

I don't have the quads to ride single speed on my trails. I have
heard reviews on the Rohloff hub a few years ago, but nothing since.
No one I know rides one. No shops in town carry them. The last
review I read was a bit luke warm about the shifting performance. I
am not a gram counter and I realize the Rohloffs are a little heavy
compared to XTR stuff, but if they work reliably and have smooth,
consistent shifting, I want some.

Any experience with these hubs?

You will be hearing from one Pete Cresswell.

Bill "Kreskin" S.

Old September 30th 04, 12:47 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
I am not a gram counter and
I realize the Rohloffs are a little heavy compared to XTR stuff, but if
they work reliably and have smooth, consistent shifting, I want some.

Here's the review I posted on MtbReview.com a couple years ago:

Pros:

- Wide shifts:
Probably a substitute for proper technique, but I can clean inclines that I
couldn't before. Hammer in to it in, say, gear 8, then jump down to 4, then to 1
as needed.

Also, on long climbs I like to alternate in and out of the saddle which, for me,
is a 3 or 4 gear shift on each change. With the der I used to do it a lot less
frequently that I really like and in the spirit of "Gee, I sure hope I don't
miss this shift and take the saddle horn up my butt (again...)".

Now I just snap those wide shifts without even thinking about it. Any time, any
place.- I'm always in the right gear, since shifting is essentially trivial;
seems like shifts take less than a fiftieth of a second.

- No more rear cog problems: no taco'd cogs, no more vines/small branches/grass
wrapped around the cog/der.

- It *seems* pretty-much bombproof. Time will tell, but I was spending more time
than I cared to adjusting my der and bending a cog wheel while riding was a
PITA.

- Greatly-reduced frequency of missed shifts. "Reduced" and not "Zero" because
there is a 'gotcha' between 7 and 8 dumps you into gear 14 if you forget and
shift under load.

It pops back into the intended gear as soon as the load comes off, but it's
nothing you want to make a habit of doing.

- Ability to shift down when stopped. I think I make more than my share of
unplanned stops and I used to have to lift up the rear wheel and rotate the
cranks to get down to a starting gear.

Also, my technique sucks and probably won't get any better and it's nice to be
able approach an object and slow way, way down before negotiating it without
worrying about getting stuck in too high a gear to get over it.

- I don't have to keep mental track of which chain ring I'm on. Sounds trivial,
but I don't have any brain cells to spare.

- Maybe not so much of a strength, but it should be mentioned somewhere that 14
speeds are enough.

My original 44-32-22 der setup took me from 18.5 to 104.

With the Rohloff on a 44 I get 19.9 to 104.9 in nice even, uniform 13.8%
increments. That's only one less gear and, since I never used 104 it's a wash
for me.

With the 38 that I've since gone over to it's 17.2 - 90.6.
I don't get spun out in 90.6 until about 25 mph - and there's no way I can hold
that speed for very long anyhow.

I left the old 32 in the middle position just because it weighs next to nothing
and, on a big bump sometimes the chain drops (you're supposed to have a
front-der-like dingus up there to keep it from doing that ....but I never go
around to getting one) the 32 catches the chain. Also allows shifting down
to a usually-ludicrous 14.something if things get really bad....

Cons:

- It costs an arm and a leg.

If my wife ever finds out I spent close to a grand on a rear wheel, she'll start
to doubt my sanity.

- This hub weighs a *lot*. It added 1.9 pounds to my already-heavy bike - same
rim/tube/tire/spoke gauge.
Anybody who says it only adds a pound must be using a really, *really* heavy
cog/hub/der/shifter setup. I was using SRAM 9.0 with twist shifters.

- The installation instructions could use a re-write. I'm no rocket scientist,
and after studying them long enough I pulled it off - but it could have been a
*lot* easier.

- It's heavy. Are you ready for an 8-pound rear wheel?

- The torque arm mounting that came with it was decidedly un-German (downright
kludgey, I'd say...). Hose clamps!

Also sometime during the first hundred miles the little clevis pin that held it
all together disappeared. Wasn't a catestrophic failure because the normal
riding pressure pushes everything together.... I probably installed the c-ring
keeper wrong or something - but it seems like a weak point. Replaced it with a
marine shackle set in LocTite.

I have since discovered that there is a more elegant torque arm setup that
Rohloff calls the "SpeedBone". Uses the disk brake mount and does not
interfere with using a disk brake.

- It's heavy.

- It's noisy, especially in gears 1-7. Supposedly this mitigates with age, but
it is still an issue with me at 1,000 miles.

- It's definately less efficient in gears 1-8.

There's a web site somewhere (in German) that supposedly graphs a Rohloff
against one of the Shimanos and claims no loss in most gears and 1-2% in the
lower gears.

I would disagree with that web site's figures.

- Did I mention that it's heavy?

Bottom Line:

This is definately not for everybody and the torque arm thing bugged me until I
got the more elegant replacement.

Having said that, I find that me and the Rohloff are a good match.

I've quickly gotten so used to getting any gear I want any time I want and never
having to stop and pull brush/branches out of my rear der that I can't imagine
going back.

It also appeals to the exhibitionist in me...

You, on the other hand, might hate the thing.

Oh yeah, I amost forgot: it's heavy.

PeteCresswell
Old September 30th 04, 04:56 AM
Pete Jones

I don't have the quads to ride single speed on my trails. I have
heard reviews on the Rohloff hub a few years ago, but nothing since.

Any experience with these hubs?

Good appraisal of pro & cons of the Speedhub, plus other info (368 KB
pdf file):
http://www.sjscycles.com/pdfFiles/Li...RohloffWeb.pdf

769 KB pdf brochure for a specific Speedhub equipped bike that
addresses some of the issues Pete Cresswell mentions elsewhere
(dropout design etc):
http://www.sjscycles.com/pdfFiles/Th...nduro04Web.pdf

Pete Jones
Old September 30th 04, 06:40 PM
Neil

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in
:

[...]

Now it's the gear 7-8 thing that bothers me the most. I really want
quick, efficient shifting. I do have good shifting technique insofar as
I don't try to make nice shifts with a traditional derailleur under load.
I don't mind that, and when my traditional derailleur is tuned and lined
up properly and when it's not too icy or too muddy, I am thrilled with
how it shifts. Unfortunately, that does not happen very often around
here.

With the Rohloff, does the 7-8 phenomenon require much more caution than
a shift with a regular derailleur. At risk of sounding very dim, could I
ask you to explain in a bit more detail exactly what happens when you try
to shift from 7-8?

Thanks in advance.

I wish I could test ride one before I drop so much cash on it.
Unfortunately, I will need to trust word of mouth, I suppose.

Old September 30th 04, 07:09 PM
PeteCresswell

http://www.sjscycles.com/pdfFiles/Th...nduro04Web.pdf

I wonder how they arrive at the idea of less net weight for the Rohloff.
Old September 30th 04, 08:09 PM
Neil

Neil wrote in

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in
:

[...]

Actually, ignore that last question, I read the pdf file and even I
understand the situation. But I do want to know if 'backing off' on the
pedals mean even more backing off than what is required with a standard
system?

Old September 30th 04, 08:35 PM
Pete Jones

On 30 Sep 2004 11:09:22 -0700,
(PeteCresswell) blathered:

http://www.sjscycles.com/pdfFiles/Th...nduro04Web.pdf

I wonder how they arrive at the idea of less net weight for the Rohloff.

No torque arm, tensioner and all that ancilliary crap, due to the
dedicated dropouts? Possibly also refers to the model on the touring
frame, without the external gearbox.

Pete Jones
Old September 30th 04, 08:49 PM

Sram makes a hub like the Rohloff and also runs a rear
derailleur at the same time So no front derailleur is needed or multi
chain rings. Just one ring up front.

I MTB 2004

Old September 30th 04, 09:55 PM
Pete Jones

On 30 Sep 2004 11:09:22 -0700,
(PeteCresswell) blathered:

http://www.sjscycles.com/pdfFiles/Th...nduro04Web.pdf

I wonder how they arrive at the idea of less net weight for the Rohloff.

No torque arm, tensioner and all that ancilliary crap, due to the
dedicated dropouts? Possibly also refers to the model on the touring
frame, without the external gearbox.

And no tensioner = a shorter chain!

It all adds up...

Pete Jones

Scott AT-3 bar & Rohloff shifter? foldedpath Techniques 6 June 15th 04 06:59 PM
WTD: Rohloff Speedhub Simon Connell UK 4 May 21st 04 05:52 AM
Wanted: Rohloff Speedhub Simon Connell UK 13 May 10th 04 09:31 AM
Rohloff Speedhub - external versus internal cable box James Thomson Techniques 7 March 6th 04 12:54 AM