What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 22.5" mountain bike as opposed to a 19"?

Old May 4th 05, 11:29 PM

Default What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 22.5" mountain bike as opposed to a 19"?

Im 6'2", inexpiriencd rider. I was given a Trek 4300 22.5" mountain
bike. Just looking for some light trail riding, nothing more. Is this
bike too big? Thanks.

Old May 5th 05, 01:43 AM
Vee

Im 6'2"... I was given a Trek 4300 22.5"...

My brother is 6'2" and he rides a 19.5" Trek 4500. I think he looks
huge on it, but he likes it. I'm 6'3" and I would definitely ride the
22.5".
Ride it and see if it works for you.

-Vee

Old May 5th 05, 03:22 AM
Leo Lichtman

Just make sure it's not a "nutcracker." The top tube on a mountain bike
needs to be two or three inches lower than on a road bike. For one thing,
you may have to maneuver at low speed by leaning the frame. This works best
if the frame is not too tall. There may also be times when you have to
"dab," (put your foot down) on a sloping hillside, or uneven trail. You
need to be able to do this even when the distance to the ground is more than
normal.