Speedplay Zero Ti or Stainless?

Old September 2nd 05, 04:26 PM
Mcfly

Default Speedplay Zero Ti or Stainless?

Anyone know how to tell the difference between Speedplay Ti pedals and
Speedplay stainless steel pedals? I ordered a set of Ti pedals and I
suspect the set I received are stainless rather than Ti.

Old September 2nd 05, 04:48 PM
Lou Holtman

Mcfly wrote:
Anyone know how to tell the difference between Speedplay Ti pedals and
Speedplay stainless steel pedals? I ordered a set of Ti pedals and I
suspect the set I received are stainless rather than Ti.

Can you see the difference between a Ti axis and a stainless steel one?
X series or Zero's? What color are they?

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old September 2nd 05, 04:58 PM
slice2

"Mcfly" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone know how to tell the difference between Speedplay Ti pedals and
Speedplay stainless steel pedals? I ordered a set of Ti pedals and I
suspect the set I received are stainless rather than Ti.

Have you tried weighing them?

Old September 2nd 05, 05:58 PM
Matt

Anyone know how to tell the difference between Speedplay Ti
pedals and Speedplay stainless steel pedals?

With a magnet to the spindle?

Old September 2nd 05, 07:36 PM
Mcfly

I called Speedplay. The Zero pedals I received are blue, and I was told
that these could not be titanium. The ti peddles are only available in
grey, yellow, and red. He also mentioned that the ti spindles are
shinier than the stainless steel spindles, which doesn't do much good
if you don't have both types to compare.

Yes, I tried weighing them on a kitchen scale, but I didn't trust the
accuracy of the scale to make a definitive determination.

Didn't think of the magnet idea. Would ti attract a magnet?

Old September 2nd 05, 07:50 PM
Mykal

"Mcfly" wrote

Didn't think of the magnet idea. Would ti attract a magnet?

No, the Russian titanium climbing hardware that I have don't do this iron
kind of thing.

--
Mykal Crooks
Seattle, WA

Old September 2nd 05, 08:22 PM
Lou Holtman

Mcfly wrote:
I called Speedplay. The Zero pedals I received are blue, and I was told
that these could not be titanium.

Yep I have blue Zero's and they are stainless steel. Keep the one you
got and get a refund. You're better of that way. Titanium spindle is a
bad idea anyway.

The ti peddles are only available in
grey, yellow, and red. He also mentioned that the ti spindles are
shinier than the stainless steel spindles, which doesn't do much good
if you don't have both types to compare.

Yes, I tried weighing them on a kitchen scale, but I didn't trust the
accuracy of the scale to make a definitive determination.

The scale have to be accuratie within 50 grams.

Didn't think of the magnet idea. Would ti attract a magnet?

My titanium frame doesn't attract a magnet. My Zero stainless steel
spindles do.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old September 2nd 05, 08:27 PM
BobT

"Mcfly" wrote in message
oups.com...
I called Speedplay. The Zero pedals I received are blue, and I was told
that these could not be titanium. The ti peddles are only available in
grey, yellow, and red. He also mentioned that the ti spindles are
shinier than the stainless steel spindles, which doesn't do much good
if you don't have both types to compare.

Yes, I tried weighing them on a kitchen scale, but I didn't trust the
accuracy of the scale to make a definitive determination.

Didn't think of the magnet idea. Would ti attract a magnet?

Good thing you spent the extra money for titanium.

Let the group if you figure out a way to tell the difference!

BobT

Old September 2nd 05, 08:33 PM
Mcfly

Why do you say that the titanium spindle is a bad idea? I know that
they have a maximum weight limit, so I'm guessing that there is a
strength issue. Any other disadvantages?

Old September 2nd 05, 08:40 PM
Mcfly

I'm guessing that if I had one of each set I could easily tell the
difference, either by weight or the appearance of the metal. The
problem is that I only had one set, and an inaccurate scale.

Fatigue in Stainless Steel Wire [email protected] Techniques 13 May 11th 05 03:44 AM
FS: Stainless Steel Speedplay Frogs, barely used BikeriderLA Marketplace 1 October 24th 04 12:29 PM
Speedplay v. Time Bob M General 3 August 24th 04 08:11 PM
FS Speedplay pedals~ X/2 and Zero ~New in Box DIGTRI Marketplace 4 April 10th 04 02:22 PM
Speedplay pedals and tech support - positive feedback post Callas General 2 September 26th 03 06:09 PM