Do the Connex links work on all chains?

Old July 25th 12, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

Default Do the Connex links work on all chains?

Within a given gear number, does the Connex link work on all brand
of chains? Specifically will the 9 speed Connex link, which will of
course work on Wippermann chains, also work on SRAM and
Shimano chains?

thanks

Old July 25th 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 26/07/12 06:13, Ronko wrote:
Within a given gear number, does the Connex link work on all brand
of chains? Specifically will the 9 speed Connex link, which will of
course work on Wippermann chains, also work on SRAM and
Shimano chains?

I don't see why not. It's the chain width that must be matched, and
note that there is a right and wrong way to install a Connex link. They
have a concave and convex side. If installing in the bottom of the
chain (between the rear derailleur and chainrings), the concave side
goes to the top. This is so that it cups around the sprocket. Some
sprockets, like the 13, have the spacer proportionally large, and if the
Connex link is upside down, the convex side can contact the spacer and
cause chain skip.

--
JS.
Old July 26th 12, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:13:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Within a given gear number, does the Connex link work on all brand
of chains? Specifically will the 9 speed Connex link, which will of
course work on Wippermann chains, also work on SRAM and
Shimano chains?

thanks

not even filed to fit
Old July 26th 12, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 25 juli 2012 22:13:59 UTC+2 schreef het volgende:
Within a given gear number, does the Connex link work on all brand
of chains? Specifically will the 9 speed Connex link, which will of
course work on Wippermann chains, also work on SRAM and
Shimano chains?

thanks

I used a Connex link on a Campa C9 chain for years. For Shimano 9 speed chains and SRAM 9 speed chains I use the powerlink gold from SRAM, because they are cheaper. It is silly to use a Connex link on a SRAM chain given the fact that they come with a powerlink.

Lou
Old July 27th 12, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

NOT work on an 8 speed shimano chain.
Old July 27th 12, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:13:59 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Within a given gear number, does the Connex link work on all brand
of chains? Specifically will the 9 speed Connex link, which will of
course work on Wippermann chains, also work on SRAM and
Shimano chains?

thanks

I use 8 speed chains and like for like (speed, width) those magic links are interchangeable between chains. The I have Connex, KMC and SRAM, and they all work. I like the KMC best for smooth operation though they all appear very similar.

Andre Jute
Old July 27th 12, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:13:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Within a given gear number, does the Connex link work on all brand

of chains? Specifically will the 9 speed Connex link, which will of

course work on Wippermann chains, also work on SRAM and

Shimano chains?

thanks

FWIW, a Connex 10sp is the only quick-link that's ever failed on me. My left knee is now arthritic due to that fall-over at 0mph.
Old July 27th 12, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

???? THE TWO in my storage are in Fla and I'm at the Cascades so....

but the advert connex 8 did not fit a shimano 8 HG. uh 1998 ?

I forget specifics.