Cranks and wheel sizes.

Old June 13th 05, 06:22 AM
Beener

Default Cranks and wheel sizes.

Mainly going to be doing trials and Muni stuff. Stick with a 20" rim!?
and if so, how long can my cranks be before I start to hit them when I
turn?? Thanks a bunch.

--
Beener - oldschool onewheeler

If you swear, you'll catch no fish.
Beener's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3817

Old June 13th 05, 09:19 AM
TonyMelton

[the following relates to trials unicycles:]

Plenty of riders use 145mm cranks on 20" wheels in 'this kind of setup'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=596). The cranks -do-
hit the ground occasionally, if you turn sharply or try to do tricks
like seat on side.

I've ridden on a borrowed standard 20" unicycle with 150mm cranks
briefly and didn't like it. The cranks hit the ground very easily and
the pedalling circle was uncomfortably large.

Your choice of crank lengths will be dictated to some degree by your
choice of hub. If you have a square taper hub, then your choices are 89,
102, 114, 125, 140 and 150mm cranks, of which 125 or 140mm would
probably be the best for trials. If you get a splined hub you'll have
fewer choices. The most common being 140 or 145mm for trials.

[20" or 24" wheel]
Get one of each - 20" for trials and 24" for muni. However if you just
want to get one uni which'll do both go for a 24" muni.

--
TonyMelton - Cloud 9

The way to a man's heart is through his veins.
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old June 13th 05, 12:01 PM
flyer

I've been looking at a Torker DX as my next unicycle - and it looks
pretty good! How would it perform with MUni and Trials as compared to
some of the higher end models? I'm not quite willing to shell out quite
that much cash yet for a uni. ;-)

sorry for the slight derail!

--
flyer - Level 4 Unicyclist
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old June 13th 05, 06:17 PM
microsoft

Hey!

I think I have 135mm cranks. Where can I get shorter ones? It's a 3
piece. Though I have a M-Uni, I want the shorter cranks for the street
unicycle, the bike shops in Ottawa can't order them shorter than what I
have plus I can't find them on e.bay. Please help!

--
microsoft
microsoft's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10160

Old June 13th 05, 06:18 PM
Unitik908

microsoft wrote:
*Hey!

I think I have 135mm cranks. Where can I get shorter ones? It's a 3
piece. Though I have a M-Uni, I want the shorter cranks for the street
unicycle, the bike shops in Ottawa can't order them shorter than what
I have plus I can't find them on e.bay. Please help! *

www.unicycle.com

Chase

--
Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

Old June 13th 05, 06:24 PM
forrestunifreak

flyer wrote:
*I've been looking at a Torker DX as my next unicycle - and it looks
pretty good! How would it perform with MUni and Trials as compared to
some of the higher end models? I'm not quite willing to shell out
quite that much cash yet for a uni. ;-)

sorry for the slight derail! *

Its strong enough, the only thing wrong is the rim and tire sorta
stink.....the 24" 05 can take a 2.6 DH tire with plenty space, the 20"
05 model can hold a 2.5 trials tire, but you would need to put a 19" rim
on it to hold the tire. It comes with a 2.125, the 24" with a 2.3.

--
forrestunifreak - Why change this thing, anyway?

"You do not make the unicycle-the unicycle makes you."

~Y.C. tv

'torkerusa.com' (http://torkerusa.com)

Old June 13th 05, 10:14 PM
Mikefule

I'm going through a busy period at the moment, and, apart from a parade
on Saturday, haven't ridden for weeks. :0(

However, on my 20 inch, with 110 mm cranks, I used to practice clipping
the floor with the pedals on tight turns. It can be done.

Riding off road, pedal strike can be dangerous.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

Strongest Coker Wheel in the World!!! Brian MacKenzie Unicycling 13 March 8th 05 01:42 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Lightweight Bigwheel AlbertKarel Unicycling 41 August 27th 04 11:16 PM
56 inch big wheel with 4.5 inch cranks!? Ken Fuchs Unicycling 9 September 5th 03 03:27 AM
idling and wheel sizes Mikefule Unicycling 16 August 19th 03 07:29 AM