Fairfax publishes cyclists view (at last)

Old April 25th 05, 09:10 AM
Mc

Default Fairfax publishes cyclists view (at last)

Well done Euan

you were even published above the sample rant by a car driver. "why I have
to drive", boo hoo.

Not sure about 12 bicycles in 1 car space though. I am a little precious
about mine.

the edited text:

Avoiding the parking tax slug couldn't be easier; use a bicycle. Bicycles
are far more efficient in their use of space. A stretch of road that can
handle 1000 cars an hour can handle 80,000 bicycles. A parking space for a
car can comfortably handle 12 bicycles. Add in the benefits of regular
exercise and use of a car for journeys of anything less than 15 kilometres
is indefensible.
Euan B, Dingley Village

http://theage.com.au/letters/index.html

Old April 25th 05, 09:22 AM
flyingdutch

Mc Wrote:
[...]

waaayyy-toooo-gooooo-mmaaaaatttte

--
flyingdutch

Old April 25th 05, 11:11 AM
cfsmtb

Mc Wrote:
[...]

Short, sweet, and to the point. :

--
cfsmtb

Old April 25th 05, 12:11 PM

"cfsmtb" == cfsmtb writes:

cfsmtb Mc Wrote:
Well done Euan

Thanks :-)

you were even published above the sample rant by a car
driver. "why I have to drive", boo hoo.

Not sure about 12 bicycles in 1 car space though. I am a little
precious about mine.

A lot depends on the parking technology, six gravity rack style bike
parks which can store one bicycle over the other would give you 12
comfortably. I lifted the figures from the current Ride On.

What I am a little miffed about is that they said ``80,000'' instead of
``8,000'' which is what I wrote. Even the most optimistic cyclist would
have a tough time fitting 80 bicycles in the same road space that a car
uses in transit. Eight on the other hand could be considered
conservative.

I mailed them about the error and got an apology. Doubt they'll print a
correction though.
--
Cheers
Euan