Hawthorn ITT series not the only cancellation

Old August 25th 05, 10:07 AM
DaveB

Default Hawthorn ITT series not the only cancellation

I see that the Duathlon scheduled for Kew Boulevarde has also been
cancelled, being shifted to Richmond (www.trivic.org.au). It sounds like
they had similar issues to the Hawthorn ITT with road closures. Leaves
me wondering how the DeCastella Run this weekend is the only regular
race left along there (must be the Xavier old boys at work ).

DaveB "runners rule the world, well the Kew Boulevarde anyway"
Old August 25th 05, 10:50 PM
MikeyOz

DaveB Wrote:
I see that the Duathlon scheduled for Kew Boulevarde has also bee
cancelled, being shifted to Richmond (www.trivic.org.au). It sound
lik
they had similar issues to the Hawthorn ITT with road closures. Leave
me wondering how the DeCastella Run this weekend is the only regula
race left along there (must be the Xavier old boys at work )

DaveB "runners rule the world, well the Kew Boulevarde anyway"

The roads are not being closed for that run, that was the first eve
fun run I did about 6 years ago, being thinking about doing it again
but cant make it this weekend, but I did read about, and they stresse
caution and to strictly obey officials as the roads will not be closed

--
MikeyO

Old August 25th 05, 11:15 PM
blah

From my experience of riding on that 'open' road a couple of years ago
during the run, it's effectively closed. Runners certainly weren't
getting out of the way of traffic. I say good on 'em. Kind of like a
crit mass - showing that pedestrians should be able to step out into
traffic any time they... oh...
Seriously, good on 'em. The Xavier connection helps enormously, too.

Old August 26th 05, 12:32 AM
DaveB

MikeyOz wrote:
DaveB Wrote:

I see that the Duathlon scheduled for Kew Boulevarde has also been
cancelled, being shifted to Richmond (www.trivic.org.au). It sounds
like
they had similar issues to the Hawthorn ITT with road closures. Leaves
me wondering how the DeCastella Run this weekend is the only regular
race left along there (must be the Xavier old boys at work ).

DaveB "runners rule the world, well the Kew Boulevarde anyway"

The roads are not being closed for that run, that was the first ever
fun run I did about 6 years ago, being thinking about doing it again,
but cant make it this weekend, but I did read about, and they stressed
caution and to strictly obey officials as the roads will not be closed.

It was definitely closed from the start up to where the Kew crit loop is
(or was last year). Can't remember beyond that (sweat induced haze). I
just had a look and see in this year's race pack they say it is not
closed but traffic reduced to 40kmh. Not sure what that's going to
achieve, I'm pretty sure a car at 40kmh can still do a bit of damage to
a runner (unless that runner is also doing 40kmh so I should be ok ).

DaveB
Old August 28th 05, 07:43 AM
DaveB

DaveB wrote:
It was definitely closed from the start up to where the Kew crit loop is
(or was last year). Can't remember beyond that (sweat induced haze). I
just had a look and see in this year's race pack they say it is not
closed but traffic reduced to 40kmh. Not sure what that's going to
achieve, I'm pretty sure a car at 40kmh can still do a bit of damage to
a runner (unless that runner is also doing 40kmh so I should be ok ).

DaveB

Did this run today and although I haven't see a HCC ITT it left me
wondering why the run could happen but the ITT couldn't. Left side of
the road from Walmer St to the Crit circuit was blocked to traffic. And
then from the crit loop to the Chandler the left side bike lane was
blocked for runners in each direction. Plus a turn point halfway down
that hill that meets the Chandler. Traffic was allowed through but
marshalls would halt it at key points when runners were coming through.
All up I would have thought the ITT would use a similar setup, biggest
problem being they'd want to use both sides of the road. I guess the
other thing is the run is a once per year event whle the ITT was
monthly. Maybe the ITT needs to moce to Yarra Boulevarde, the duathlons
don't seem to have any trouble getting that blocked off.

DaveB "returning to the couch for a nap"